[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pac-10 Basketball

godtomsatan

Does anyone care?

Husky homer here, first off. I love watching Brandon Roy play, but I have to admit I've been much more entertained watching Gonzaga/WCC games this season. The Pac-10 isn't as top heavy with the powerhouses this season, and the bottom feeders aren't as bad as they have been in previous years, but this hasn't necessarily added up to better basketball.

2 good teams in UCLA and Washington that might make a Sweet 16 run if the balls bounce properly, but ultimately, I don't know that I would pick either to make it out of the first weekend.

3 above average teams that might get tourney berths in Cal, Arizona, and Stanford.

1 team starting to gel and could make some noise in the conference tourney in USC.

And then 4 teams that are not good, but not as horrible as the bottom feeders have been in the conference the last few years.

Should make for an interesting last weekend, with Washington travelling to the desert and UCLA heading up to the Bay Area. Not to mention the conference tourney the weekend after that.

Tha PAC-10 Blows!

:D

1344376[/snapback]

+1

I think when you indicate that there are three above average teams, tomsatan, you must mean in comparison to all of college hoop, not just the 64 tourney teams, right? Because neither Cal, Stanford, or Arizona is above average in the tourney (where I'll put anyone with a 3 through 6 rank as above average).

The ACC may be down but it's Denver compared to the Pac 10.

I think when you indicate that there are three above average teams, tomsatan, you must mean in comparison to all of college hoop, not just the 64 tourney teams, right?  Because neither Cal, Stanford, or Arizona is above average in the tourney (where I'll put anyone with a 3 through 6 rank as above average).

1344480[/snapback]

Above average in relation to the rest of the conference.

Notice I said there were two good teams (UCLA & Washington, both are 'above average' by your criteria).

I'm not comparing the Pac-10 to other conferences, because there is no comparsion. The Big 10, Big East, and ACC (*AT LEAST*) are all demonstrably better conferences from top to bottom.

I'm assuming a 3rd team will get picked from Cal, Stanford, and Arizona, though none of those teams have impressed me much. There seems to be some thought the conference will get 4 teams. That should probably only happen USC goes on a tear through Berkley and Palo Alto, and wins a couple games in the conference tourney.

I was just curious if there were any UCLA honks or Arizona apologists who cared to chime in with their thoughts about what's going on down the stretch.

Fair enough.  Arizona will get in on reputation and probably Cal deserves a shot as well.  Good luck.

1344888[/snapback]

AZ has been playing much better lately, they are in the Tourney IMHO. Cal didnt play too terribly well Sunday nite but they have a pretty nice little team, they should male March Madness.

That being said, the Pac-10 BLOWS :D

I dunno...... the conference as a whole has beenweak no doubt. BUT come NCAA tourney time I would not want any part of UCLA, UW, CAL, to a lesser extent UA. The rest of the country will sleep on them- and watch. I predict 3 in the sweet 16, and at least one in the final 8. UCLA looks darn good of late- Howland has them defending like crazy.

I dunno...... the conference as a whole has beenweak no doubt. BUT come NCAA tourney time I would not want any part of UCLA, UW, CAL, to a lesser extent UA. The rest of the country will sleep on them- and watch. I predict 3 in the sweet 16, and at least one in the final 8. UCLA looks darn good of late- Howland has them defending like crazy.

1356422[/snapback]

UCLA is young. Washington (outside of Roy) is young. I can see both teams doing exactly what you are saying, making a run, but I'm not sold on Cal.

Arizona is one and done. The way the Huskies carved them up in the last 8 minutes on Saturday, coupled with Hassan Adams DUI later that night, there's a lack of maturity and focus this season in Tucson.

Plus, Stanford has to win probably two games this weekend to get in the tournament, and they draw Arizona in Round 1.

BTW, with about four minutes left in the game on Saturday between Washington and Arizona, Brandon Roy made a one on five reverse layup beneath the basket. It was one of the most phenomenal plays I've ever seen. No fancy moves, just a fake, a drive, a weave, and a reversal. This is a dude that has turned it up a notch in the second half of the season, and really is one of the premier players in the country.

UCLA is young. Washington (outside of Roy) is young. I can see both teams doing exactly what you are saying, making a run, but I'm not sold on Cal.

Arizona is one and done. The way the Huskies carved them up in the last 8 minutes on Saturday, coupled with Hassan Adams DUI later that night, there's a lack of maturity and focus this season in Tucson.

Plus, Stanford has to win probably two games this weekend to get in the tournament, and they draw Arizona in Round 1.

BTW, with about four minutes left in the game on Saturday between Washington and Arizona, Brandon Roy made a one on five reverse layup beneath the basket. It was one of the most phenomenal plays I've ever seen. No fancy moves, just a fake, a drive, a weave, and a reversal. This is a dude that has turned it up a notch in the second half of the season, and really is one of the premier players in the country.

1358364[/snapback]

Yeah, I am a UA alum- they are bad- they may win the first one- but after that they will be done. Couple tough years lately.

UCLA - may be young but they will be a tough out in the tourney- they have the best chance to advance IMO.

UW- can pull it together and make a run- Roy is legit- and they will need to ride him in the NCAA at crunch time. He will be one of those guys who turns into a better pro than college player- I have seen many mock drafts- he looks to be going lottery and climbing- a few even have him going ahead of dare I say-

JJ Redick- which is on the $$$ - he will be a much better pro than Redick.

CAL- I dunno- they are the kind of team that can get hot and ride Powe at crucial times.

Stan- DONE- they have no shot- other than a miracle PAC 10 tourney title- which aint' gonna happen.

As for Roy's move- yeah - it was sick- but my Cats still gave it away there at the end.

Did you see the Oregon kid cheap shot Willie Ames right in the nose??  I imagine that kid is suspended for the reaminder of the tourney.

1361952[/snapback]

Yeah, that was some shot! I cant imagine that perp playing again this year.

Washington was winning at half when I went to bed  :D How did they LOSE?

1361212[/snapback]

Cham Oguchi went apepoo from 3pt land, and the dawgs just stopped playing D. Odd occurance, at least not one we've seen since the WSU games.

Did you see the Oregon kid cheap shot Willie Ames right in the nose??  I imagine that kid is suspended for the reaminder of the tourney.

1361952[/snapback]

It's a bummer too because Aaron Brooks has been a nice player throughout HS (Franklin high in Seattle) and at UO.

He clocked him good though. Romar in his post-game thing said Brooks sent seperate notes to him and to Appleby apologizing. Pac-10 rules say there's a mandatory 1 game suspension. I'd imagine he might get additional, but this is the wussy Pac-10 and a dirty Oregon team that wants to win at all costs.

• 2 weeks later...
balls bounced.

1377799[/snapback]

Yep, well with UW getting UConn - that is a nightmare matchup for UW. Will be tough- UCLA should take care of the Zags tho

UA played Nova really tough - they played an excllent game- Ray/Foye/Lowry were just too tough down the stretch. darn those guards are really good.