[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Speaking of how great Pittsburgh is, well it's

wiegie

What was on this placard, you may ask? 

A poor quality, yet recognizable, blowup of the following:  :D

:D

1441131[/snapback]

:D That made me laugh out loud :D

The :D never laughs

Edited by ChuckB

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

btw, I got a PM from Squeegie and she and Mr. Squeegie might meet up with me this evening for a late night Primanti Bros. sandwich and perhaps a few beers (I'm assuming they wouldn't be opposed to having other Pittsburghians (or whatever the hell y'ins call yourselves) meet up with us).

At long last, here is my report of my trip to Pittsburgh:

I arrived in Pittsburgh on Wednesday afternoon. Squeegie had volunteered to pick me up from the airport and drive me to the hotel, so after I got off the plane I went down to the baggage claim area where we had agreed to meet. Like everyone else here, I haven’t seen a recent picture of Squeegie, but I figured I would just look for the fat, bitter, lesbian. Unfortunately, while there were plenty of fat people, a few people who looked bitter, and maybe one or two lesbians, I didn’t see anyone who met all three of the criteria. (Well, actually, I take that back, I did see one fat woman who looked like she might be a bitter lesbian, she was collecting her luggage, so I figured that couldn’t be Squeegie.) I decided to switch my search to look for a woman dressed in pajamas holding a teddy bear, but this search too proved futile. After a while of walking around the baggage claim area I finally happened to look over and see a man and a woman who looked like they were looking for someone. I had seen this couple a few minutes earlier and didn’t think anything of it, but this time I noticed that they were waving a piece of paper in my direction and on this piece of paper was a blown-up version of our beloved :D. Obviously these were my people. But I was confused, the woman was neither fat, nor bitter-looking, nor did she exhibit any tendencies that might be considered lesbianesque. Equally confusing was the fact that the man with her (who was obviously Mr. Squeegie) didn’t look at all like the plump Harry Potter dork that a mystery huddler picture had suggested he would look like. Despite the fact that they were nothing like my preconceived notions of how they would look (read: they looked perfectly normal), Mr. & Mrs. Squeegie turned out to be very nice people.

The drove me downtown to my hotel and I went inside to check-in. (Sidenote: the woman checking me in looked at my reservation and said “Business and Economic History Conference?!? WHAT is that all about?” To which I replied that it was a pretty exciting event. To which she replied “for FOUR days?” To which I replied, “With fun like this, you don’t want it to end quickly.” She was like :D .) When I got back down from my room we only had to wait about 30 seconds before Skippy came driving up. We all piled in his car and he drove us to the “sous-side” for dinner. As he mentioned previously, we ate a steakhouse and I got a t-bone steak that was almost as tall as I was. Good eating! (One thing I noticed was that when they brought out the salad that Squeegie ordered it was covered in French fries. I knew then and there that Pittsburgh was a unique place.) Dinner was great and so was the conversation. Like, Mr. and Mrs. Squeegie, Skippy is also a hell of a person. It was great to finally meet him in person (although I still feel bad that he rushed through a game of golf with his daughter so that he could meet up with us.)

After dinner, Skippy and the Squeegies decided that I needed to see the city from the top of Mt. Washington. So Skippy drove us all up there and the view was fantastic! Pittsburgh is really a nice city. The city also has some of the most accomplished scaffolding experts in the world as we were all impressed by the scaffolding assembled to repair a “pod” that was literally built into the side of a cliff. We stayed up there for about 20-30 minutes before they decided to take me to see the view of the city from the west-end overlook. The drive there was notable as Skippy kept pointing out places where I could pick up a $20 crack-hoor if I wanted. (fwiw, Squeegie refused to lend me the $20).

The view from the west-end overlook was also impressive, but this is also a place where a person could get himself into trouble. For example, from the overlook is a clear view of Heinz Field. Skippy mentioned that they were going to hang huge pictures from the Superbowl on the stadium just before the season opened. I innocently asked if the pictures would be of the bad calls that the refs made in the game and Skippy almost immediately threw me over the side of the overlook. Luckily for me he is a reasonable person and quickly changed his mind. I actually felt bad about making the comment about the referees since it put a short damper on the mood as Skippy and the Squeegies stated that they hated the fact that the referees’ calls had tarnished the Steelers SB victory. Skippy then drove us back to my hotel downtown, but not before driving past the Igloo where the Penguins play. Once we got back to the hotel, Skippy’s wife called and asked him to go pick up their daughter and to grab her a sandwich from Primanti Bros. Mr. and Mrs. Squeegie stuck around for a little bit longer and we grabbed a few beers at the bar in the hotel.

A few other notable things happened that evening. Just as we were getting in to Skippy’s car to start the evening right in front of my hotel, we all looked up and saw a decent-sized rat climbing around a trash-can. This rat was pretty brazen to be walking around like that in broad daylight and we were all impressed. Also, as we were coming out of the restaurant after eating dinner we saw a man in a dress clothes and tie walking down the sidewalk. All of a sudden, the man hacked up a loogie and the spit it right on the sidewalk. Skippy told me that this was perfectly typical Pittsburgh. Skippy also made the comment that Pittsburgh is basically populated by people who ancestors were too stupid to leave to go someplace better. (I should note that he was talking about the time when Pittsburgh was still mostly a mill city filled with soot and unpleasant smells. Modern Pittsburgh seems like a pretty nice place to live—even if it is second in the nation in lawyers per capita.) :D

I spent Thursday, Friday, and most of Saturday doing conference stuff and grading papers, but on Saturday night, Mr. and Mrs. Squeegie came and got me and took me to get a sandwich from Primanti Bros. The basically weren’t going to let me leave the city until they had verified that I had tried a sandwich topped with cole-slaw and French fries. I think they were somewhat disappointed that I actually ended up liking the sandwich. It was good!** Mr. Squeegie even bought me a Primanti Bros. t-shirt to commemorate the event. They told me I should wear it when I am watching the Steelers play. (I might even do that.) We had a few beers (Yuenglings) and just had another good time.

**I must note that the people sitting next to me on the airplane the next morning as well as my wife when I got home probably did not think it was a good thing that I had eaten the sandwich.

All in all, I had a very nice time in Pittsburgh and I sincerely want to thank Skippy and Mr. and Mrs. Squeegie for showing me a good time! I thoroughly enjoyed it! :D

Glad you had a good time, Wiegie. :D Next time, visit during football season - even the ginormous rats will be wearing Roethlisberger spamshirts. :D

But I was confused, the woman was neither fat, nor bitter-looking, nor did she exhibit any tendencies that might be considered lesbianesque. 

1453377[/snapback]

:D Yeah! Listen to what the man says! :D:D:D

:D

At long last, here is my report of my trip to Pittsburgh:

I arrived in Pittsburgh on Wednesday afternoon.  Squeegie had volunteered to pick me up from the airport and drive me to the hotel, so after I got off the plane I went down to the baggage claim area where we had agreed to meet.  Like everyone else here, I haven’t seen a recent picture of Squeegie, but I figured I would just look for the fat, bitter, lesbian.  Unfortunately, while there were plenty of fat people, a few people who looked bitter, and maybe one or two lesbians, I didn’t see anyone who met all three of the criteria.  (Well, actually, I take that back, I did see one fat woman who looked like she might be a bitter lesbian, she was collecting her luggage, so I figured that couldn’t be Squeegie.)  I decided to switch my search to look for a woman dressed in pajamas holding a teddy bear, but this search too proved futile.  After a while of walking around the baggage claim area I finally happened to look over and see a man and a woman who looked like they were looking for someone.  I had seen this couple a few minutes earlier and didn’t think anything of it, but this time I noticed that they were waving a piece of paper in my direction and on this piece of paper was a blown-up version of our beloved :D.  Obviously these were my people.  But I was confused, the woman was neither fat, nor bitter-looking, nor did she exhibit any tendencies that might be considered lesbianesque.  Equally confusing was the fact that the man with her (who was obviously Mr. Squeegie) didn’t look at all like the plump Harry Potter dork that a mystery huddler picture had suggested he would look like.  Despite the fact that they were nothing like my preconceived notions of how they would look (read: they looked perfectly normal), Mr. & Mrs. Squeegie turned out to be very nice people.

The drove me downtown to my hotel and I went inside to check-in.  (Sidenote:  the woman checking me in looked at my reservation and said “Business and Economic History Conference?!?  WHAT is that all about?”  To which I replied that it was a pretty exciting event.  To which she replied “for FOUR days?”  To which I replied, “With fun like this, you don’t want it to end quickly.”  She was like :D .)  When I got back down from my room we only had to wait about 30 seconds before Skippy came driving up.  We all piled in his car and he drove us to the “sous-side” for dinner.  As he mentioned previously, we ate a steakhouse and I got a t-bone steak that was almost as tall as I was.  Good eating!  (One thing I noticed was that when they brought out the salad that Squeegie ordered it was covered in French fries.  I knew then and there that Pittsburgh was a unique place.)  Dinner was great and so was the conversation.  Like, Mr. and Mrs. Squeegie, Skippy is also a hell of a person.  It was great to finally meet him in person (although I still feel bad that he rushed through a game of golf with his daughter so that he could meet up with us.)

After dinner, Skippy and the Squeegies decided that I needed to see the city from the top of Mt. Washington.  So Skippy drove us all up there and the view was fantastic!  Pittsburgh is really a nice city.  The city also has some of the most accomplished scaffolding experts in the world as we were all impressed by the scaffolding assembled to repair a “pod” that was literally built into the side of a cliff.  We stayed up there for about 20-30 minutes before they decided to take me to see the view of the city from the west-end overlook.  The drive there was notable as Skippy kept pointing out places where I could pick up a $20 crack-hoor if I wanted.  (fwiw, Squeegie refused to lend me the $20).

The view from the west-end overlook was also impressive, but this is also a place where a person could get himself into trouble.  For example, from the overlook is a clear view of Heinz Field.  Skippy mentioned that they were going to hang huge pictures from the Superbowl on the stadium just before the season opened.  I innocently asked if the pictures would be of the bad calls that the refs made in the game and Skippy almost immediately threw me over the side of the overlook.  Luckily for me he is a reasonable person and quickly changed his mind.  I actually felt bad about making the comment about the referees since it put a short damper on the mood as Skippy and the Squeegies stated that they hated the fact that the referees’ calls had tarnished the Steelers SB victory.  Skippy then drove us back to my hotel downtown, but not before driving past the Igloo where the Penguins play.  Once we got back to the hotel, Skippy’s wife called and asked him to go pick up their daughter and to grab her a sandwich from Primanti Bros.  Mr. and Mrs. Squeegie stuck around for a little bit longer and we grabbed a few beers at the bar in the hotel. 

A few other notable things happened that evening.  Just as we were getting in to Skippy’s car to start the evening right in front of my hotel, we all looked up and saw a decent-sized rat climbing around a trash-can.  This rat was pretty brazen to be walking around like that in broad daylight and we were all impressed.  Also, as we were coming out of the restaurant after eating dinner we saw a man in a dress clothes and tie walking down the sidewalk.  All of a sudden, the man hacked up a loogie and the spit it right on the sidewalk.  Skippy told me that this was perfectly typical Pittsburgh.  Skippy also made the comment that Pittsburgh is basically populated by people who ancestors were too stupid to leave to go someplace better.  (I should note that he was talking about the time when Pittsburgh was still mostly a mill city filled with soot and unpleasant smells.  Modern Pittsburgh seems like a pretty nice place to live—even if it is second in the nation in lawyers per capita.) :D

I spent Thursday, Friday, and most of Saturday doing conference stuff and grading papers, but on Saturday night, Mr. and Mrs. Squeegie came and got me and took me to get a sandwich from Primanti Bros.  The basically weren’t going to let me leave the city until they had verified that I had tried a sandwich topped with cole-slaw and French fries.  I think they were somewhat disappointed that I actually ended up liking the sandwich.  It was good!**  Mr. Squeegie even bought me a Primanti Bros. t-shirt to commemorate the event.  They told me I should wear it when I am watching the Steelers play.  (I might even do that.)  We had a few beers (Yuenglings) and just had another good time.

**I must note that the people sitting next to me on the airplane the next morning as well as my wife when I got home probably did not think it was a good thing that I had eaten the sandwich.

All in all, I had a very nice time in Pittsburgh and I sincerely want to thank Skippy and Mr. and Mrs. Squeegie for showing me a good time!  I thoroughly enjoyed it!  :D

1453377[/snapback]

:D Sounds like a good time was had by all in the greatest city in the world...... or at least the one with the greatest NFL team. :D