[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Offsides in Soccer

sundaynfl

Here's my advice coaching 4-5 year olds--you work on only two things all year:

Using the side of the foot to pass the ball and not the toe and "space." I must have said "Side of Foot" and "Space" a million times when coaching 4-5 year olds. You will not be able to stop the bulk of children this age from bunching up because developmentally, that's where they are at. If you set your goals appropriately, you won't get frustrated.

In addition, teach soccer skills by creating fun games. Kids this age are not going to stand in line for drills. If you want to make your life and the players' lives miserable, have them stand in lines waiting to do a drill.

My husband used to tell them to use the side of their foot like they use the side of a mini golf putter. That seemed to make sense to them. Our U6s play 4v4 now...fewer kids to bunch up. :D

They loosen the rules if you're a professional or if you are 7 years or younger. Otherwise, I typically see throw ins called pretty tightly. Kind of like walking in basketball.

TY! :D I'm watching these FIFA players and I'm calling a foul on almost every throw in! :D

They loosen the rules if you're a professional or if you are 7 years or younger. Otherwise, I typically see throw ins called pretty tightly. Kind of like walking in basketball.

TY! :D I'm watching these FIFA players and I'm calling a foul on almost every throw in! :D

Untateve is dead right. The rules on throw ins are typically slackened at pro level, but I did see the ref in the England - Paraguay game call three foul throws, so there's hope yet.

Good stuff Unta. But another question:

When I played soccer (yes they used a leather ball and not a rock :D ) the refs were very particular about throw ins. That is both feet had to be firmly, feet parallel, on the ground and the ball had to be released directly over the head. Seems like they loosened that rule. Comments?

both feet have to be on the ground. well, part of both feet have to be. Can be on your toes. feet don't have to be parallel. The ball does have to come from directly overhead with both hands equally throwing it but it can spin like a top. Used to be if the ball spun, you called a bad throw. Now as long as it kind of looks like they threw the ball with both hands, it's a good throw.

both feet have to be on the ground. well, part of both feet have to be. Can be on your toes. feet don't have to be parallel. The ball does have to come from directly overhead with both hands equally throwing it but it can spin like a top. Used to be if the ball spun, you called a bad throw. Now as long as it kind of looks like they threw the ball with both hands, it's a good throw.

Both feet have to be on the ground and part of each foot must be either on or behind the line also.

FIFA link

At the moment of delivering the ball, the thrower:

* faces the field of play;

* has part of each foot either on the touch line or on the ground outside the touch line

* uses both hands

* delivers the ball from behind and over his head

The thrower may not touch the ball again until it has touched another player.