[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Offsides in Soccer

sundaynfl

I watched some of the USA game earlier today and didn't change the channel. I come back from a meeting and the Ita Vs. Gha is on. The Italians have a breakaway and the Italian guy gets behind the Gha guy and offsides is called. What's to prevent someone on the other team from slowing down or stopping on a breakaway causing offsides to be called??

Edited to add: These guys need to go to acting class!!

Edited by sundaynfl

What's to prevent someone on the other team from slowing down or stopping on a breakaway causing offsides to be called??

they do that, and sometimes it bites the team i the butt cause they tough that they would get the offside call and they dont, and now its a one on one situation with the goalie.

its a fine line of playing the offside and going in to stop the play.

Don't worry about it. People who've been watching their kids play soccer for 15 years still don't get the offsides rule.

I've been doing high school soccer games for a few years and have to constantly explain it. :D

Don't worry about it. People who've been watching their kids play soccer for 15 years still don't get the offsides rule.

I've been doing high school soccer games for a few years and have to constantly explain it. :D

Not to mention it doesn't always get called.

Offsides is a stupid rule.

No more stupid than in football. If there was no offside in soccer, you'd just have each team punting the ball up the field all the time, bypassing the center. However, I would advocate a line across the field 35 yards from each end with no offside in the middle of the field.

No more stupid than in football. If there was no offside in soccer, you'd just have each team punting the ball up the field all the time, bypassing the center. However, I would advocate a line across the field 35 yards from each end with no offside in the middle of the field.

Would that line be painted blue?

I watched some of the USA game earlier today and didn't change the channel. I come back from a meeting and the Ita Vs. Gha is on. The Italians have a breakaway and the Italian guy gets behind the Gha guy and offsides is called. What's to prevent someone on the other team from slowing down or stopping on a breakaway causing offsides to be called??

The offside call is made when the pass is initiated, not when it is received.

Example 1

X1............................Y

...................................X2

If X1 passes the ball to X2 at this moment, X2 is offside (Y=defender).

Example 2

X1..........................Y

............................X2

If X1 passes the ball to X2 at this moment, he is onside. Once the ball is passed, if Y runs toward X's goal, X2 is still not offside because at the time the pass was initiated, he was onside.

Example 1

Example 2

If X1 passes the ball to X2 at this moment, he is onside. Once the ball is passed, if Y runs toward X's goal, X2 is still not offside because at the time the pass was initiated, he was onside.

This is exactly right and a very good visual explanation. :D

Example 1

Example 2

Very nice! :D I understand that... but if I am Y running down the field, what prevents me from stopping and trying to take the ball from X1?? If he then passes it to X2 it would be offsides...

Very nice! :D I understand that... but if I am Y running down the field, what prevents me from stopping and trying to take the ball from X1?? If he then passes it to X2 it would be offsides...

Nothing. You may get burned if they fail to call the offsides.

Some real good info here if you have some free time:

http://www.soccerhelp.com/Soccer_Tips_Dict...ml#offside_rule

They have a simplified version and a detailed version.

Or you can get FIFA's official Laws of the Game here: http://www.fifa.com/en/regulations/regulat...,1584,3,00.html

Edited by Hugh 0ne

Well, you could do that, but X2 knows that his player is going to chip the ball over your head. So X2 will run with Y, but know that X1 is going to chip it. Knowing that, gives X2 a slight advantage and at this level of soccer, that's all you need.

In addition, if Y is running full speed at X1, it will be a simple maneuver for X1 to push the ball to the side and beat Y himself and be on a breakaway.

Well, you could do that, but X2 knows that his player is going to chip the ball over your head. So X2 will run with Y, but know that X1 is going to chip it. Knowing that, gives X2 a slight advantage and at this level of soccer, that's all you need.

In addition, if Y is running full speed at X1, it will be a simple maneuver for X1 to push the ball to the side and beat Y himself and be on a breakaway.

Good stuff, Unta, very well thought out and explained. :D

Thanks Unta! I have never been a big soccer fan, but have been amazed at the talent these guys have! I have also started coaching my daughters 4 year old team... imagine, the movie Kicking and Screaming! She wanted me to coach her since I coach my son's baseball team!

Thanks Unta! I have never been a big soccer fan, but have been amazed at the talent these guys have! I have also started coaching my daughters 4 year old team... imagine, the movie Kicking and Screaming! She wanted me to coach her since I coach my son's baseball team!

Here's my advice coaching 4-5 year olds--you work on only two things all year:

Using the side of the foot to pass the ball and not the toe and "space." I must have said "Side of Foot" and "Space" a million times when coaching 4-5 year olds. You will not be able to stop the bulk of children this age from bunching up because developmentally, that's where they are at. If you set your goals appropriately, you won't get frustrated.

In addition, teach soccer skills by creating fun games. Kids this age are not going to stand in line for drills. If you want to make your life and the players' lives miserable, have them stand in lines waiting to do a drill.

Bunching up is what youth soccer is all about. Any good coach will find himself yelling:

- Don't bunch!

- Spread out!

- Switch up the field! (or some other comment meaning, pass it away from the mass of kids kicking and clawing)

... Until his throat is sore. It won't work... but that's the goal.

Good stuff Unta. But another question:

When I played soccer (yes they used a leather ball and not a rock :D ) the refs were very particular about throw ins. That is both feet had to be firmly, feet parallel, on the ground and the ball had to be released directly over the head. Seems like they loosened that rule. Comments?

Good stuff Unta. But another question:

When I played soccer (yes they used a leather ball and not a rock :D ) the refs were very particular about throw ins. That is both feet had to be firmly, feet parallel, on the ground and the ball had to be released directly over the head. Seems like they loosened that rule. Comments?

They loosen the rules if you're a professional or if you are 7 years or younger. Otherwise, I typically see throw ins called pretty tightly. Kind of like walking in basketball.