[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

sleeper QB's

Avernus

My question with Kitna is, does he have the ABILITY to truly step it up?

I respect the crap out of the guy, but I think the nutshell encapsulation of Kitna is "he can't carry a team, but he can lead one." I don't know that there is anyone else in Detroit capable of shouldering the load and allowing Kitna to be a complement. His breakthrough year in '03 was accomplished with a two-head monster of Rudi Johnson and Corey Dillon at RB and Chad Johnson breaking out at WR - where is the comparable talent in Det (hint: it isn't IN Detroit, that's where it is).

I'm liking Frye as a good value. In 5 stints of significant action, yeah, his numbers weren't eye popping (60% comp, 944 yds/185 ypg, 6.5 ypc, 4 td/4 int) but solid, especially for a rookie on a bad team.

Full season, that's 3000 yds, 13 tds. I think that's a nice floor and while the td #s are sorta putrid, I think his ability to make plays with his feet and experience from last year will put him up into the high-teens/flirting with 20.

Nice backup with upside, GREAT pick for a keeper/dynasty type league.

I like Frye too. I think the kid is gonna be a better REAL QB this year than a FANTASY QB. he is someone I would be looking at in keeper leagues. in redraft I have to put him down there with the likes of Kitna.

I like Frye too. I think the kid is gonna be a better REAL QB this year than a FANTASY QB. he is someone I would be looking at in keeper leagues. in redraft I have to put him down there with the likes of Kitna.

I wouldn't dispute that;

I like Frye to have a bit more upside than Kitna this year, as against-the-grain as that sounds - I think he might have that "young player who's too stupid to know better" mojo going for him.

My question with Kitna is, does he have the ABILITY to truly step it up?

I respect the crap out of the guy, but I think the nutshell encapsulation of Kitna is "he can't carry a team, but he can lead one." I don't know that there is anyone else in Detroit capable of shouldering the load and allowing Kitna to be a complement. His breakthrough year in '03 was accomplished with a two-head monster of Rudi Johnson and Corey Dillon at RB and Chad Johnson breaking out at WR - where is the comparable talent in Det (hint: it isn't IN Detroit, that's where it is).

Saying Kitna's breakthrough '03 season was because of Rudi,Dillon and Chad Johnson's success is equal to saying Palmer's success last year was because of Rudi,Perry and Johnson.

Kitna can play, he proved he could take a beating and stay healthy before he ever went to Cinci when he was with Seattle. he had no line there and was getting creamed but still hanging in there when many QB's would of lost confidence or got hurt. then he goes into a horrible situation in Cinci and stays relatively healthy for 3 years there. then right when the team comes together they take Kitna out and put in Palmer. I would of been disgusted if I was Palmer. but Kitna held himself together, made no noise and helped Palmer become some of the QB he is today. he is a true team player and I am very happy he is a Lion.

Edited by Doc Holliday

many QB's would of lost confidence...I would of been disgusted

I AM disgusted by your inability to properly say "would HAVE" :D

...but as far as Kitna being a TERRIFIC locker-room leader, I wholeheartedly agree. As far as his on-field performance, no, he HASN'T been thrust into good situations. But his 3 year starting stint in Cinci had him averaging 15 tds and 16+ ints per season; 2 years in Seattle gave us a more impressive 41-35 ratio but he regressed noticeably in his 2nd year.

As I said above, I think Kitna is one of those guys who HAS to have the talent around him; Palmer, not so much (not that talent hurts - Palmer obviously benefited from Rudi, CJ, Housh, and C Perry last year).

Otherwise known as confidence. :D

A type of confidence which is quite often misplaced (let's remember, I watched "Brett Favre - The Formative Years", best summed up in Mike Holmgren's answer, when he was asked if some amazing, game-winning play Favre made surprised him, of "nothing Brett does surprises me anymore, good OR bad")

EDIT: A few good examples that just occurred to me - a "guy who knows better" doesn't go out with a separated shoulder against Philly in '92 and play a full half with Reggie White and Clyde Simmons trying to tear your head off; a "guy who knows better" doesn't make a desperate dash towards the end zone with seconds left and no time-outs against Atlanta in '94 to score the winning td that puts you in the playoffs; a "guy who knows better" doesn't go back into the game against Pittsburgh in '95 and throw a key td pass after throwing up blood on the sidelines after vicious Greg Lloyd hit...you get what I mean?

Edited by Chavez

A type of confidence which is quite often misplaced (let's remember, I watched "Brett Favre - The Formative Years", best summed up in Mike Holmgren's answer, when he was asked if some amazing, game-winning play Favre made surprised him, of "nothing Brett does surprises me anymore, good OR bad")

EDIT: A few good examples that just occurred to me - a "guy who knows better" doesn't go out with a separated shoulder against Philly in '92 and play a full half with Reggie White and Clyde Simmons trying to tear your head off; a "guy who knows better" doesn't make a desperate dash towards the end zone with seconds left and no time-outs against Atlanta in '94 to score the winning td that puts you in the playoffs; a "guy who knows better" doesn't go back into the game against Pittsburgh in '95 and throw a key td pass after throwing up blood on the sidelines after vicious Greg Lloyd hit...you get what I mean?

Oh yeah...well..I watched ...um..Scott Mitchell in his formaddable years....so..take that. :D

Oh yeah...well..I watched ...um..Scott Mitchell in his formaddable years....so..take that. :D

Scott Mitchell is a good example of a "guy who knows better" - "whoa, if I try to run for this first down, Ray Lewis will take my head off; I'd better dump it off to the RB"

I like McNair;

Brees and Culpepper if they are recovered. So far so good, but the Viings refusing a physical prior to the trade does concern me.

Volek aired it out a few years ago, but it was against sub-par competition, but I do like him this year too.

Brooks too in he knows this is his last shot, but he may get in his own way again.

Trent Green. In most drafts he isn't going very high at all.

Edited by Randall

Since when? Last I heard (few weeks ago) McCown was the starter.

Really?

I haven't come across anything pointing to McCown being the starter. :D

I have come across numerous articles alluding to Kitna having the job wrapped up. In OTA's it's Kitna getting the majority of the reps with the 1st string. When I read interviews it's Kitna doing this & Kitna doing that. Also, whenever a reporter is interviewing the Lions QB on what they think of the Martz offense and how the WR's are doing, the QB they choose to interview is always Kitna.