[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Keeper Leagues

TonyMantana

I think this post goes in here as it is FF advice.

I have wanted to do a keeper league for years but can't get any of my leaguemates in any of my 3 leagues to do it.

So, I am going to start a local Keeper league for next season. I have already found a few guys from each of my exisiting leagues and some others to bring me to 7 guys now. We are targeting 12 teams but will do 10 if need be.

I am looking for general advice and input on how you run your Keeper Leagues.

My primary question is...

1.)How do you deal with owners that leave?

We have thought about fines/deposits and/or discounts to new owners that take over exiting teams.

How do you handle it?

Some other questions

2.) How many keepers do you allow

3.) Round limitations? (only can keep players drafted in rounds x thru y)

4.) Reserve spots as a ratio to starters

5.) Anything else you can think of that will help

Thanks for your help.

My primary question is...

1.)How do you deal with owners that leave?

We have thought about fines/deposits and/or discounts to new owners that take over exiting teams.

How do you handle it?

Some other questions

2.) How many keepers do you allow

3.) Round limitations? (only can keep players drafted in rounds x thru y)

4.) Reserve spots as a ratio to starters

5.) Anything else you can think of that will help

Thanks for your help.

1. live with it and do the best you can to get early notice ... deposites are fine, but if someone really wants/needs to leave, do you want them still playing just because they didn't want to loose $100?

2. Three

3. Keepers from 4th round on, rounds 1-3 go back into the pool

4. Huh?

5. Love keeper leagues, but need to keep some of the pool fresh so their is a desire to keep playing.;

1. live with it and do the best you can to get early notice ... deposites are fine, but if someone really...

Ok, Im with that. My question is, what do you do with the league going forward when someone does have to leave? Does the new owner take over that team? Do you give a new owner perks to join? You certainly wouldn't want to dissolve the league over this, so how do you handle it?

I wouldn't start a keeper league without complete confidance in the other guys you recruit. I don't say this to be mean, but if you are already worrying about what to do when somebody leaves perhaps starting a keeper format isn't the way to go just yet. Anyway here is the system one of my keeper leagues uses that seems to work well and keep the talent rotating.

Keepers

-----------------------------------

Maximum Possible Keeper Scenarios:

-3 players with 2nd year contracts

-3 players, 2 with 2nd year contracts and 1 with 3rd year contract

-2 players with 3rd year contracts

-1 player with 4th year contract

The keepers are used in lieu of the rounds that the players were drafted

in.

Waivers/Free Agents:

A player claimed from waivers or free agents will count as a round 7

pick.

Same Round players:

If a team has two or three players from the same round, one player would

be from the original round, the other(s) would be from the round minus 1

or 2 in the case of three players.

If a player is traded to another team, he keeps his current contract

status. Ex: If player A is in his 2nd year of his contract and gets

traded to a new team, he will still be in the 2nd year of his contract.

If you are worried about people leaving then any trade that involves future draft picks should be accompanied by 1/2 or all of the next years entry fees. That way someone doesn't dump a team and bolt.

Hope this helps.

Its not such much that I am worried about it but none of us have ever done one before and don't really know how people work around this issue. We just were talking about it an realize sometimes people move, have kids, new job, whatver the reason, there may be a little turnover so we wanted to try to figure out up fron rather than when it happens. Thanks for the help.

Ok, Im with that. My question is, what do you do with the league going forward when someone does have to leave? Does the new owner take over that team? Do you give a new owner perks to join? You certainly wouldn't want to dissolve the league over this, so how do you handle it?

If a new owner takes over the team, keep it intact and let the new owner decide who to keep. Hopefully it's not too bad of a team, but give the new owner the first shot at making any decisions on last years roster.