[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Falcons Defense...

DemonKnight

Coach Jim Mora was tightlipped about the status of ends John Abraham and Patrick Kerney -- with four Pro Bowls between them -- heading into Sunday's game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

"I've got nothing on Pat and John," Mora said tersely at his Monday briefing. "It's too early to answer who will play there."

"It's all speculation because I don't know the extent of the injury," said Mora, who, like most NFL coaches, is reticent to discuss such things. "We have an outstanding training staff. There's nothing they won't try within reason."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kerney, who underwent surgery on his right elbow during the preseason, injured his right triceps on Atlanta's first defensive play while trying to shove away a blocker.

"I gave the guy a little heave and a bomb went off within the muscle," Kerney said. "I tried to play the second play but quickly realized that arm would be of no use to me."

He was limited to a handful of likely passing plays the rest of the way. Chauncey Davis got the bulk of the work.

Kerney's demeanor was much more positive on Monday. There was no tear in the triceps, so he'll spend the week trying to strengthen it back up so he can play against Tampa Bay, the second of three straight NFC South teams the Falcons will face to begin the season.

"I definitely think I'll be able to go," he said. "I woke up feeling light years better than yesterday."

While Abraham wasn't available for comment, Kerney said his fellow defensive end also appeared to be doing better.

"I expect Abe to go," Kerney said. "He's in the same situation I am. He's feeling light years better than he was."

:D