[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Prestige

Vote Quimby2

SPOILER

That's what I got, too. There was the scene of them removing the case after every show, and I'm assuming that the 100 show run was to ensure that Borden eventually made it to the show. It seems strange to me that the cloning machine was presented as real and a fact, but i really don't see any other way to interpret it.

Also, I wasn't quite sure what to make of the comment on drowning. It seemed to imply that this cloning had been done before, but I didn't quite get it. I think I need to watch this one again. Different than what I expected, but I liked it.

i saw it on a flight and i liked it for the most part except the point made above really bugged me about this movie. somehow it seemed to contradict what intrigued me about the movie which is how clever the plot was and how it could have really happened. i dunno.

The Prestige was decent, but after many months have gone by I find The Illusionist to be (surprisingly) the better movie. I am curious to see what you'll think. Prestige had the budget, but The Illusionist was more involving and straightforward IMO.

The Illusionist put me to sleep on first viewing.

It may have been more straightforward, but I LIKED the complex puzzle of The Prestige.

The Illusionist put me to sleep on first viewing.

It may have been more straightforward, but I LIKED the complex puzzle of The Prestige.

Not as slick as The Prestige, The Illusionist may have had the benefit of my lower expectations going in. With all the talent attached to The Prestige I expected better. While a decent movie, I felt The Prestige was a bit too long and something was missing (maybe the ending was disappointing to me). To each their own.

Edited by TDFFFreak

Not as slick as The Prestige, The Illusionist may have had the benefit of my lower expectations going in. With all the talent attached to The Prestige I expected better. While a decent movie, I felt The Prestige was a bit too long and something was missing (maybe the ending was disappointing to me). To each their own.

Chris Nolan has a longer track record than Neil Burger, for sure - but I'd say Norton, Giamatti, Biel, and Sewell have discriminating enough taste in projects, not to mention the talent to hang with Bale, Jackman, Johanson, and Caine any day of the week.

I expected them to be equally as good. I found The Prestige to be better - don't read that as "The Illusionist sucks" - it was a good film, I just didn't like it as much.

Chris Nolan has a longer track record than Neil Burger, for sure - but I'd say Norton, Giamatti, Biel, and Sewell have discriminating enough taste in projects, not to mention the talent to hang with Bale, Jackman, Johanson, and Caine any day of the week.

I expected them to be equally as good. I found The Prestige to be better - don't read that as "The Illusionist sucks" - it was a good film, I just didn't like it as much.

I agree - The Prestige was a better movie. If you accepted the cloning machine, there was a lot more going on underneath the surface. The Illusionist seemed superficial by comparison. Also, the end of the Illustionist bothered me. Giamatti put everything together way too easily. And they also never explained how Norton was doing his illusions. The more I think about it, the less that I like the Illusionist.

To me, the prestige's ending was visible from a mile away ... and for some reason, the illusionist's ending was not. For that reason alone, I like the illusionist better. :dunno:

For me, the ending to the Illusionist was too abrupt. Giamatti putting it all together like that, especially things he never could of known (like spiking the glass of wine), didn't work for me. Way too convenient to tie everything up.

Saw the Prestige over the weekend. Both the Missus and I found the ending very unsatisfactory. After the whole thing about the turn and prestige blah blah blah, **spoiler** its some science fiction mumbo jumbo to explain it all. Ba-loney. I enjoyed it right up to that part. I saw the ending coming, and was dissapointed that I was right.

I liked the Illusionist better overall, but then I have ghey man-love for Norton.

To me, the prestige's ending was visible from a mile away ... and for some reason, the illusionist's ending was not. For that reason alone, I like the illusionist better. :dunno:

See, I guess that's the part I enjoyed - EVERYTHING about the ending of The Prestige was right there - you just had to be perceptive enough to put it all together.

I saw someone call the machine in The Prestige a deus ex machina - which I suppose it sort of was, by definition, but I think it is thematically deeper and to a certain extent more HONEST (whether you bought the explanation for Jackman's illusion is what the film hinges on, IMO) than The Illusionist.