[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Thomas Jones

seabronc

The free agent forecast makes it sound like Thomas Jones could lose his job in Chicago... Yet I haven't seen anything elsewhere to show that Benson has been impressive enough to take it. His YPG is similar, and he has not seen his # of carries change all season. Anybody hearing rumblings that Benson may see more carries?

Benson was drafted to be the "Feature Back" in Chicago last year. However, because he held out of camp, Jones was able to secure the job for a good part of the season.

Benson's workload has slowly increased as the season has gone on (currently seeing a lot of goal line action), and its very likely to say that as soon as he is at the level the coaches want, he will take over the starting position.

I am not so sure about Benson eventually taking the number one spot outright this year. Benson seems to find duty in garbage time mostly, or against safe teams at home. As far as carries go we always hear the coaches saying they want to get Benson more work. Here is his workrate this year.

GAME LOG RUSHING STATS

Date Opp Rush Yds Avg Lg TD 1st Stf YdL Fum FbL

Sep. 10 GB 11 34 3.1 7 0 1 0 0 0 0

Sep. 17 DET 10 25 2.5 6 0 1 1 1 0 0

Sep. 24 MIN 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Oct. 01 SEA 11 37 3.4 19 0 2 3 4 0 0

Oct. 08 BUF 14 48 3.4 11 2 5 2 3 0 0

Oct. 16 ARI 1 4 4.0 4 0 0 0 0 0 0

Oct. 29 SF 8 26 3.3 11 1 2 0 0 0 0

Nov. 05 MIA 8 34 4.3 10 0 2 0 0 0 0

If anything Benson's carries have decreased since the beginning of the season. I think that at best the backfield will be a share with Jones getting the most carries and Benson serving as goal line back on occaision. Cedric just hasn't done anything to warrant a change.

Last week, CB did lay one stiff block on (Zach Thomas?) on a blitz that let Grossman have time to find Muhammad down the sideline for TD.

That was probably the most impressive thing he's done that I've seen. Still, a play like that will get you the reps, I would assume.

Edited by The Waterboy

I think what is concerning the coaches the most is TJ's lack of desire to run downhill. Even though this is not his strength, he did plenty of that last year. This year, it seems he's trying to make every play a long run and he's just not putting his shoulder down to get the extra few yards.

There is no doubt that TJ has the coach's and other player's confidence.

I see his value going down for fantasy owners simply because he's not running as well as he can, and the offensive line is not doing their job as well as they can.

In watching Benson, he's clearly ready to take on the load at this point.

TJ will not be back in Chicago next year.

Benson was drafted to be the "Feature Back" in Chicago last year. However, because he held out of camp, Jones was able to secure the job for a good part of the season.

Benson's workload has slowly increased as the season has gone on (currently seeing a lot of goal line action), and its very likely to say that as soon as he is at the level the coaches want, he will take over the starting position.

Except that the team pretty much hates him. He has to gain the respect of the players too.