[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is there an advantage to ..

plaptop

Starting a QB who's primary receiver is on the team you are playing in a given week.

The team I am playing will be starting Javon Walker. Cutler is going against the worst passing defense. When deciding which QB to start, do I take that in consideration? If Walker does good, then my QB probably had a good day. If Walker does bad, my QB still can have a decent day.

I have Vick but his status is up in the air, along with his effectiveness if he starts.

Thoughts on this situation? Thanks.

This only works as a hedge. If the QB lays a goose egg, it is most likely that the WR didn't do well. If the QB does well, the WR may or may not do well. If the WR does well, then the QB should do well. It also depends on your scoring. If you get 6pts per passing TD, then the strategy works a little better. In my leagues, we get either 3 or 4 pts for passing TDs and passing yardage bonuses are harder to get for QBs so this strategy is less effective.

I normally avoid this strategy because it always seems to backfire. The QB will end up throwing 3 INTs and fumbling twice, thus negating any hedging effect since the WR obviously is not losing points for those turnovers.

If you are choosing between two fairly equal QBs, then I probably would pick the QB throwing to your opponent's WR. Otherwise, start the QB you think will do better. If the QB on the team with your opponent's WR throws for 200 and 1 TD while another QB on your team throws for 300 and 2 TDs, which would you rather start?