[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Need PC help bad

rajncajn

My home PC has been hanging up really bad lately. Programs hang up on opening, games get glitchy, email hangs up, booting up is slower etc. When it moves, it moves fast. But more & more often it seems to get stuck. So last week I check my processes and see a whole mess of items running. Thinking I could have some ad issues or possibly a bug I updated my Symantec antivirus & added Ad-aware & Spybot to clean out everything I could. Yet the problem seems to be getting worse, not better. My next step will be to update all of my drivers and if that doesn't work I may have to just completely reformat. Before going that far I was hoping some of you might have another answer for me. :crossesfingers: I'm computer saavy enough to be dangerous, I know my way around a PC pretty well, but as for the internal workings I'm not so hot. Anyway, here is a screen shot of my pc & what processes are running right after boot-up. If you need any other info ask away, I should be able to answer.

rajn's fubared pc screenie

I hear there's rumors on the innernets........ You should re-format. As long as there are multiple users of a single PC...you will forever not know why that MOFO isn't working like it's supposed to. You can waste several hours and such trying to figure out why your PC has slowed, etc, or you can slick it and spend the same amount of time IMO to get a fresh start. If you have a hardware problem, then of course that won't help you....but this has been something that didn't happen overnight it seems.

Edited by Hitman

well, chit, could be a lot of things. could definitely be firewall/virus/adware programs fighting with each other. might try scaling back some of what you have installed, see if that improves things. but really, backing up all your data and slicking the hard drive isn't a terrible option here -- it's good to do that from time to time anyway.

40 things running in Task Manager is not bad. It's hard to read them, but most looked familiar and normal.

Try this:

Shut down system, wait 15 secs., then turn on and time it from your log in screen till are the stuff is loaded.

Then shut down,wait 15 secs., turn on, and hit 'F8' continuously until you get to the safe mode screen, and again time from your log in screen till are the stuff is loaded.

Post the times here.

Could be a multitude of things.

Memory, Virus, Hard drive, PSU

Boot into safe mode and see if problem persists. Run msconfig and disable all start up items, , Check the box the says "Hide all MS Itmes", then disable all services.

Is problem still persisting?

Run MemTest 86, possible corrupt RAM

Open cmd prompt and run chkdsk

Defrag HDD's

Post back. If you know anything about Hijack this software, i'd start there. Run a cleaning tool freware CCleaner.

Just throwing out a bunch of thoughts to try. But try to figure out if it's hard ware or software firstly, booting into safe mode, running all your AVG and spyware programs, disabling your startup and services should give you a good idea if it's a software/virus problem. Then check your memory, then your hdd's .

I downloaded, updated & ran Cleanup, Adaware & Spybot. I already had Defender running previously, but recently it was giving me an error message at startup. The problem still persisted after though. I have been questioning my power supply since I got it. It's a 500w & I've got a relatively high-end build. I may use this as an excuse to go ahead & buy a new one just in case.

Edited by rajncajn

I downloaded, updated & ran Cleanup, Adaware & Spybot. I already had Defender running previously, but recently it was giving me an error message at startup. The problem still persisted after though. I have been questioning my power supply since I got it. It's a 500w & I've got a relatively high-end build. I may use this as an excuse to go ahead & buy a new one just in case.

defender is actually probably at the root of your problem. go into it and disable as much chit as you possibly can and see if it gets any better.

defender is actually probably at the root of your problem. go into it and disable as much chit as you possibly can and see if it gets any better.

If that may be the case I would rather just uninstall it & use something better.

Dunno if i'd be a psu problem, never seen an issue like that occur. Normally they just blow up and done with. Gotta be a software, RAM or HDD problem, imo.

Here's some great tips for ya' , great site i use and they have it all mapped all in an easy to view/read forum

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Step 4

This will help eliminate any software problem and your left to check you Ram with MemTest 86 and do a HDD diagnostic check

Remove that symantec schit, use AVG it's free and better.

Get rid of symantec anything and that windows defender I bet will help alot.

Agree, for the most part. AVG works well, but I still like BitDefender, a wee bit better. Agree Symantec=bloated code chit!

Dunno if i'd be a psu problem, never seen an issue like that occur. Normally they just blow up and done with. Gotta be a software, RAM or HDD problem, imo.

Here's some great tips for ya' , great site i use and they have it all mapped all in an easy to view/read forum

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Step 4

This will help eliminate any software problem and your left to check you Ram with MemTest 86 and do a HDD diagnostic check

Good info. But I'm still waiting to see boot times in normal & safe mode. That should tell if system files are F'd up or the s/w that loads normally! WHERE ARE THE TIMES RAJ???? :D I had some time issues on boot on my system. My safe mode boot was about 40 sec after login, which is normal. My regular boot time after login was over 2 mins. Too long, so I knew it was the stuff that loads at reg. boot. Granted, I got that damn replacement printer from HP and their s/w is dog crap! Lots of problems on 2 different systems. I unloaded their crap, long time..... I bought a prog called Registry First Aid. :D I wasn't impressed at first, and I wrote the company for a refund. They said you have to run it several times to really get rid of the Reg. crap. It's sort of like eating an artichoke....you pull a leaf off and there is another behind it. Anyway, I ran it several times (maybe 7?) and damn if I didn't improve my re-boot time by over 40 sec's. which is now a reasonable time w/o doing a re-install of the OS. In less than a year I'll be gettin' a new system anyway.

Don't nail me to the cross H8, :tup: but it worked!

My opinion, but Raj, the boot times for safe mode vs normal mode tell a story! I (we) have to start somewhere and that's a good place to start. We're eating an elephant here, but we have to do it one bite at a time.

Sorry RR. I brought the pc with me to work today, but I forgot the stupid video cable. I'll check it later tonight after the kiddies go to bed. ATM I am running a defrag as it really needed it.

Sorry RR. I brought the pc with me to work today, but I forgot the stupid video cable. I'll check it later tonight after the kiddies go to bed. ATM I am running a defrag as it really needed it.

Hate (H8) to say it, but if your using the Windows defrag, you have to run it in 'Safe Mode', and even then it does a half ass job and takes hours. Try Perfectdisk or several others on the web. Perfectdisk works well for me.

1. Reload the operating once a year - Microsoft always needs an enema.

2. defrag the drives if you don't already - weekly to monthly.

3. when RAM goes bad, random crap happens. test it

4. boot up and retry running the slow programs with the network cable disconnected. one bandwidth hog in the network causes undue delays for others.

5. uninstall newly installed and unused programs

6. no need to have virus scanner/pop-up blocker/ad aware running all the time. takes up memory and checks all data processing. disable when gaming.

Plenty of good ideas already listed on the thread.

Hate (H8) to say it, but if your using the Windows defrag, you have to run it in 'Safe Mode', and even then it does a half ass job and takes hours. Try Perfectdisk or several others on the web. Perfectdisk works well for me.

LOL, yes I know. I was actually looking into Diskkeeper, but it's a bit pricey in comparison. ATM though I'm not sure if I want to DL & install a program I'll have to pay for if I'm going to end up reformatting in the end. For now, I can run windows defrag while I'm waiting for the kids to go to bed & then really start to dig into the problem.

LOL, yes I know. I was actually looking into Diskkeeper, but it's a bit pricey in comparison. ATM though I'm not sure if I want to DL & install a program I'll have to pay for if I'm going to end up reformatting in the end. For now, I can run windows defrag while I'm waiting for the kids to go to bed & then really start to dig into the problem.

But do it in safe mode, or it will never complete! :doh: Perfect Disk is worth the $$. and it runs in the wee hours or whenever you want. Boot times????!!!! :D:D:tup:

Edited by rocknrobn26

1. Reload the operating once a year - Microsoft always needs an enema.

Very recomended!... after low level format only.

2. defrag the drives if you don't already - weekly to monthly.

Defrag was for 95, 98, mE, I do not dfrag Win2k or XP, not needed. This is a bandaid crutch for people who want to do something to thier PC, kinda like a sugar pill cure for cancer.

Defrag was for 95, 98, mE, I do not dfrag Win2k or XP, not needed. This is a bandaid crutch for people who want to do something to thier PC, kinda like a sugar pill cure for cancer.

Agreed , Defragging is really only needed for your paging files. With Vista and readyboot on flash drives, it's becoming not even needed for that. Samsung has actually just announed a new HDD with onboard flash memory to be coming in new notebooks, once this hybrid drive goes mainstream, defrag will be a distant memory.

OK RR, I tried timing my boot-up last night & had two problems. The first time I tried the keyboard wasn't functioning when it was time to move into safe mode. :D Then I kept trying to figure out at just what point to stop the timer. Honestly I can't really tell when everything has finished loading. I could go by the activity light on my pc, but I keep hitting the timer when the light goes of for a second or two & then it starts up again. :D

Anyway...some good news. I unistalled Symantec & Defender last night along with a few other programs I never use & things seemed much better. I even tested it playing CoD2 online for a while & had a great game with no noticable hangups.

I'm still going to go ahead and reload XP & then update all of my drivers.

Very recomended!... after low level format only.

Perhaps. Read on.

Agreed , Defragging is really only needed for your paging files. With Vista and readyboot on flash drives, it's becoming not even needed for that. Samsung has actually just announed a new HDD with onboard flash memory to be coming in new notebooks, once this hybrid drive goes mainstream, defrag will be a distant memory.

Read on.

First of all, I respect both of your opinions, as several others on this site. :doh: I know a lot about PC's, OS's, S/W, etc. but I would normally :D to your suggs, but this has nothing to do w/ defrags (read below) it's about a Reg. Cleaner. :tup: I know...."Snake Oil", and initially I would have agreed, but I was getting desperate and an F-disk and reinstall in my case was NOT an option. Too much work. Installs, configs, re-setting paths, etc. It took me 2 weeks to get my system initially installed. Yeah, I have a lot of stuff on my system.

I did a lot of research and found a piece of SW not on the major critic's list that got some good reviews. I was skeptical but w/ a 30 day money back I thought I'd give it a toss. My first run w/ the s/w was 1012 bad things. In the Reg., add/remove, yada yada. Ran it, it seemed like it did nothing and with a knee jerk reaction I wrote the company for a refund. He said you have to run it multiple times as if eating an artichoke, i.e. while removing something it uncovers another. But he also offered up the refund, no problem. I ran it 7+ times. Each time new chit came up. The result was an increase of 100% in boot times. I am a very precise person, and my boot comparisons are VERY precise. My boot times now are 1 minute after log-in. They were over 2 minutes before. I changed nothing else, so I have to be a believer! "Snake Oil", I don't think so. Dammit it worked, admittedly much to my surprise. :D I wish now I would have done time studies on s/w loads. They seem faster also (Photoshop, PS elements, Acad, etc.), but I can't swear to that.

Raj, no guarantees but it worked for me. If I were you and you have the time I'd try it.

As far as defrags, I'd like a link, if you have one, that says they are unnecessary. Not denying just curious. I read a lot of chit, and never came across that! :D

Ok, nuff said on my part. Opinions??

Perhaps. Read on.

Read on.

First of all, I respect both of your opinions, as several others on this site. :doh: I know a lot about PC's, OS's, S/W, etc. but I would normally :D to your suggs, but this has nothing to do w/ defrags (read below) it's about a Reg. Cleaner. :tup: I know...."Snake Oil", and initially I would have agreed, but I was getting desperate and an F-disk and reinstall in my case was NOT an option. Too much work. Installs, configs, re-setting paths, etc. It took me 2 weeks to get my system initially installed. Yeah, I have a lot of stuff on my system.

I did a lot of research and found a piece of SW not on the major critic's list that got some good reviews. I was skeptical but w/ a 30 day money back I thought I'd give it a toss. My first run w/ the s/w was 1012 bad things. In the Reg., add/remove, yada yada. Ran it, it seemed like it did nothing and with a knee jerk reaction I wrote the company for a refund. He said you have to run it multiple times as if eating an artichoke, i.e. while removing something it uncovers another. But he also offered up the refund, no problem. I ran it 7+ times. Each time new chit came up. The result was an increase of 100% in boot times. I am a very precise person, and my boot comparisons are VERY precise. My boot times now are 1 minute after log-in. They were over 2 minutes before. I changed nothing else, so I have to be a believer! "Snake Oil", I don't think so. Dammit it worked, admittedly much to my surprise. :D I wish now I would have done time studies on s/w loads. They seem faster also (Photoshop, PS elements, Acad, etc.), but I can't swear to that.

Raj, no guarantees but it worked for me. If I were you and you have the time I'd try it.

As far as defrags, I'd like a link, if you have one, that says they are unnecessary. Not denying just curious. I read a lot of chit, and never came across that! :D

Ok, nuff said on my part. Opinions??

so what's the reg cleaning software?