[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Not exactly the news Tigers fans want to start the season

Puddy

Rogers has surgery to remove blood clot, out until July

March 30, 2007

LAKELAND, Fla. (AP) -- Kenny Rogers had surgery Friday to remove a blood clot from his left shoulder and repair arteries, and the Detroit Tigers pitcher likely will be sidelined for the first half of the season.

The 42-year-old left-hander had the operation in Dallas. He is expected to start throwing in six-to-eight weeks, and Tigers president Dave Dombrowski said the earliest Rogers would return to the rotation is July.

Detroit placed Rogers on the 15-day disabled list on Thursday. Chad Durbin, who made the team as a reliever, will move into the Tigers' rotation.

Rogers is on the DL for the first time since 2001.

Rogers has gone from a hard-throwing pitcher to a crafty one during a career that began in 1989 with the Texas Rangers and included stops with Oakland, Minnesota and both teams in New York.

He went 17-8 with a 3.84 ERA last year during his first season with the Tigers, then gained notoriety during the postseason when he had a patch of dirt on his pitching hand. He won all three of his postseason starts and didn't allow a run in 23 innings.

Rogers was 2-0 with a 2.05 ERA in five exhibition starts. With Rogers out of the rotation, Nate Robertson will pitch in place of Rogers on Wednesday in Detroit's second game. Jeremy Bonderman starts Monday's opener against Toronto. Justin Verlander goes to third in the rotation, followed by Mike Maroth and Durbin.

I think we have enough pitching to hold us til then. IMO Rogers is our 3rd best starter . he did pitch great in the playoffs but I expect and ERA of over 4.00 with him this year and around 13 or 14 victories(if he was healthy enough to play all year). his age has to be a concern.

I think Bonderman will have a breakout season this year and be our best starting pitcher.

I really have high hopes for the Tigers this year. it is hard to find a hole anyplace.