[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lions Homers!

kpholmes

I know someone has to step up. IMO Jones won't be healthy all year next year. if he is I could see him getting into real game shape at the end of the year. that means someone is gonna line up at RB for the Lions who is gonna get many carries. I am hoping that person is Calhoun as I have him on a couple teams (both teams I also have Jones and drafted him ahead of Drew for that fact only). it looks like a mistake as I don't see Calhoun doing much for us. but you never know.

I wouldn't expect Calhoun to be a factor this year. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if DET didn't stash him on IR all year unless Jones can't come back the entire season. DET can use Jones as their primary RB and see if and how Bell & Duckett fit into the offense. Personally, unless they upgrade their line with a guy like Joe Thomas with the #2 pick, the RBs aren't going to do a heck of a lot anyhow. If they're relying on George Foster to help them anywhere but OG, they're going to be very disappointed.

I wouldn't expect Calhoun to be a factor this year. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if DET didn't stash him on IR all year unless Jones can't come back the entire season. DET can use Jones as their primary RB and see if and how Bell & Duckett fit into the offense. Personally, unless they upgrade their line with a guy like Joe Thomas with the #2 pick, the RBs aren't going to do a heck of a lot anyhow. If they're relying on George Foster to help them anywhere but OG, they're going to be very disappointed.

:D

I saw what Calhoun was capable of in college. Don't tell me that he can't catch out of the backfield - even running some WR-type patterns - and while he's overmatched size-wise, he also will stick his nose in and block.

Doing it in college and doing it in the the pros are two different things. Ron Dayne sure looked like an unstoppable force against two hundred pound linebackers. Erasmus James was an elite edge rusher who could stand up against the run. Aaron Gibson was a brick wall no one could get around. Whoops, sorry, didn't mean to pick on Wisconsin there. :D

My point isn't meant to be that Calhoun has stone hands, or is a wilting daisy--just that it's likely that he's not ready to execute his role in the Martz offense. It's a lot more complicated, and places a lot more emphasis on route running, than anything Calhoun saw in college. You can't just release off a chip and then go 'over there into the flat', you have to be in the exact right spot on the field at the exact right time. For that matter having "the willingness to get in there" is not the same as actually preventing NFL linebackers from sacking your quarterback.

I find it hard to believe that anyone can make the kinds of judgment policy is making after seeing him take all of 9 touches in 7 games last year, then going down with an ACL. He may not make it in the NFL - a lot of WIS RBs have not seen a good transfer of their talent into the next level. But to say he can't catch or block (which is exactly what policy said) shows me that policy doesn't know what the hell he is talking about.

And talking like the Lions, who need as much production as possible from every draft pick they get, sat a third-round pick for the entire preseason and then barely let him get off the pine in the regular season EVEN THOUGH he was totally ready to contribute shows me that you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

And his statement that he can't beat out Harris is assinine also and further tells me he doesn't know what he's talking about. Calhoun was the #2 RB on the roster during the regular season last year, passing Harris in training camp. In fact, even though Calhoun only had 9 touches in the first 7 games last year, that was 9 more touches than Harris had before week 11 last season, and other than Calhoun, Lamar Gordon, who had 1 carry in week 1, and Shawn Bryson, who had 1 carry in week 2 and 1 carry in week 4, Jones was the only RB getting the work right up until he got hurt.

And acting like what the internet says someone's spot on the depth chart is means anything is "assinine" also. Every Lions fan was eager to see what this kid could do in the preseason, and Arlen Harris got all the work. Why? Because Martz knew that street free agent who knew the system would be more effective on the field for the forseeable future.

As far as bringing in Bell & Duckett, that's just as assinine. DET has it's #1 RB recovering from Lisfanc's and its #2 RB recovering from an ACL. What were they supposed to do? Go into training camp with no legit NFL RBs?

Nope, hence the need to go get some. All signs point towards the Lions PUP'ing or IR'ing Calhoun whether he's healthy or not, since they don't expect him to be ready to contribute either way, and now they have veteran backups who can carry the load.

So I'll say it again, if policy doesn't know what the hell he is talking about, and he clearly doesn't by the two posts above - especially his rejoinder defending himself and all of its mistatements - then he might do himself a favor and not post at all rather than putting himself in a position to get called out for things like the crap he posted above.

And I'll say it again--just because someone knows everything the internet has to tell him about football doesn't mean he actually knows everything. And for someone who perennially can't even get the RB depth chart for his OWN homer team right, "calling me out" for my "crap" is rich indeed.

Peace

policy