[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lions Homers!

kpholmes

Last year with Kevin Jones looking more and more fragile every day, Lions snagged Brian Calhoun in the draft. In dynasty leagues, this kid was a must grab, as he could take the starting job as soon as Jones slipped. Then Calhoun didn't perform well, and if memory serves he got injured?

Now he's stuck in a VERY crowded backfield, and isn't looking like he's going to be climbing the depth chart very soon...

What's the word there in Detroit? This kid done?

Thanks guys.

Not a Lions fan by any stretch but...

Kevin Jones is there no.1

Bell will give him a breather

Ducket will get short yardage carries.

Calhoun has got nothing.

KJ is hurt, and I don't think he'll be ready for awhile. You'll have to wait until training camp to get any real answers.

KJ is hurt, and I don't think he'll be ready for awhile. You'll have to wait until training camp to get any real answers.

KJ is hurt, but the injury reminds me of Warrick Dunn's injury a few years back... I beleive that Jones had his surgery done earlier than Dunn's in reguards to the start of the training camp...

He's ahead of schedule and already jogging. I think he'll be fine.

Not a Lions fan by any stretch but...

Kevin Jones is there no.1

Bell will give him a breather

Ducket will get short yardage carries.

Calhoun has got nothing.

Unless Calhoun does something magical in camp and/or preseason, this is the most likely scenario. If you're looking for a sleeper, Calhoun is not a likely hit. He's had his own injury problems to deal with.

Calhoun got saw very little daylight last year, did nothing with it, and got hurt. Considering how thin the Lions have been at running back, and how much they had invested in him, I'd say signs point firmly towards "expect nothing from him, ever". He's a talented guy and produced in college, but I think the Martz system asks him to do things he can't go (block, catch passes, etc.).

Peace

policy

Calhoun got saw very little daylight last year, did nothing with it, and got hurt. Considering how thin the Lions have been at running back, and how much they had invested in him, I'd say signs point firmly towards "expect nothing from him, ever". He's a talented guy and produced in college, but I think the Martz system asks him to do things he can't go (block, catch passes, etc.).

I agree.

I never thought of the guy as a "must grab."

And :D

I think the Martz system asks him to do things he can't go (block, catch passes, etc.).

Calhoun is fine receiver. But yeah, considering the opportunity he was given, his lack of production is damning.

When he was all that was standing behind KJ, in a dynasty rookie draft, he was definitely high on the board.

In the 2 dynasty rookie drafts I was involved with last year, I think Calhoun was taken early 2nd in one and mid-first in the other. I thought he was a reach for a first rounder and he may have been taken before MJ Drew in both.

Of course, now I have the luxury of Lendale fatty White on my taxi squad wondering what he may or may not ever accomplish as a pro. :D

If you don't know what you're talking about, it might be wiser not to post.

Yeah, obviously, he's so good at those things that the Lions are afraid to bring him off the bench--you can't risk unleashing that kind of awesome power.

Or maybe, just maybe, "having soft hands" is not the same as "understanding the role of the pass-catching running back in the Martz offense"; that would at least explain why he can't beat out Arlen Harris for carries. I think it's important to note that Calhoun was a pick specifically to throw Martz a bone--like Trung Canidate, Martz falls in love with backs that have flashy tools. Believe me, if Calhoun had shown a darn thing in practice or on the field, he'd be getting reps. They also wouldn't have brought in both Tatum Bell and T.J. Duckett.

Peace

policy

That's kinda what I was thinking.

Kind of a harsh rush to judgement, BB. :D

I saw what Calhoun was capable of in college. Don't tell me that he can't catch out of the backfield - even running some WR-type patterns - and while he's overmatched size-wise, he also will stick his nose in and block.

I find it hard to believe that anyone can make the kinds of judgment policy is making after seeing him take all of 9 touches in 7 games last year, then going down with an ACL. He may not make it in the NFL - a lot of WIS RBs have not seen a good transfer of their talent into the next level. But to say he can't catch or block (which is exactly what policy said) shows me that policy doesn't know what the hell he is talking about.

And his statement that he can't beat out Harris is assinine also and further tells me he doesn't know what he's talking about. Calhoun was the #2 RB on the roster during the regular season last year, passing Harris in training camp. In fact, even though Calhoun only had 9 touches in the first 7 games last year, that was 9 more touches than Harris had before week 11 last season, and other than Calhoun, Lamar Gordon, who had 1 carry in week 1, and Shawn Bryson, who had 1 carry in week 2 and 1 carry in week 4, Jones was the only RB getting the work right up until he got hurt.

As far as bringing in Bell & Duckett, that's just as assinine. DET has it's #1 RB recovering from Lisfanc's and its #2 RB recovering from an ACL. What were they supposed to do? Go into training camp with no legit NFL RBs?

So I'll say it again, if policy doesn't know what the hell he is talking about, and he clearly doesn't by the two posts above - especially his rejoinder defending himself and all of its mistatements - then he might do himself a favor and not post at all rather than putting himself in a position to get called out for things like the crap he posted above.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Although I would not have been as harsh as BB was... about the 1st thing I thought when I read Policy's post was he must have never seen the guy play if he thinks he cannot catch. catching the ball maybe the only thing the guy does excel at.

I realize that Calhoun's pass-catching skills were one of the reasons he (hypothetically) had some value in that offense. I also know that Martz puts some pretty stiff demands on his RBs.

What I don't know -- and what nobody here REALLY knows -- is exactly why Calhoun didn't get more opportunities, why he didn't do much with those opportunities, and why the Lions haven't said or done anything this offseason to indicate they consider him an important part of the team.

If nothing else, I give policy the benefit of the doubt. He's one of a handful of people here who does his homework and provides reliable information about his homer team. It's certainly not crazy to think as good as Calhoun's catching/blocking looked in college, those skills didn't translate well enough for Martz.

If nothing else, I give policy the benefit of the doubt. He's one of a handful of people here who does his homework and provides reliable information about his homer team. It's certainly not crazy to think as good as Calhoun's catching/blocking looked in college, those skills didn't translate well enough for Martz.

If that's true, how does he not know the DET depth chart, or say that a guy who didn't even touch the football in a regular season game as RB until week 11 was ahead of Calhoun on the depth chart?

I agreed before, and I'll agree again - Calhoun might not make it in the NFL, and other WIS RBs have not had a good transfer of talent to the next level. But Calhoun did not get many touches in games last year before he got hurt because DET was intent on getting Jones as many RB touches as possible. No other RB in DET had more carries other than Jones before Calhoun went down - even if it was a miniscule number. But to flat out propose that Calhoun can't catch or block can only make me think he hasn't seen Calhoun play - and with Calhoun's small number of touches last year, that's a distinct possibility. DET ran Jones right into the ground right up to the point where he got hurt.

I know someone has to step up. IMO Jones won't be healthy all year next year. if he is I could see him getting into real game shape at the end of the year. that means someone is gonna line up at RB for the Lions who is gonna get many carries. I am hoping that person is Calhoun as I have him on a couple teams (both teams I also have Jones and drafted him ahead of Drew for that fact only). it looks like a mistake as I don't see Calhoun doing much for us. but you never know.