[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chargerz - I have a question for you

cliaz

Alright Doc I have a question for. In my opinion the human body is the most inhospitable place in the entire universe. I mean if something gets into it the body straight up roughs with the immune system and all. So I have a question for you, Sir.

Sperm can live for up to 72 hours inside of a woman’s uterus, correct? Well while these guys are swimming around inside of her what is her body doing?

What I mean is does the female body’s reproductive system override the immune systems response to foreign cells being into it and let them chill for a while to make sure they do their job?

Do sperm have some type of cloaking ability so the female immune system can’t see them as foreign DNA?

Does the immune system even have a presence inside of the female reproductive area? I know the vagina is very acidic and all. (mmmm vagina)

What’s the scoop on this?

EDIT - i just find it hard to believe that the human body would allow 60+ million cells from another source entire it and not have a response to it.

Edited by cliaz

The immune system of the female DOES recognize the foreign DNA of sperm, but the fact that the sperm don't enter the blood stream of the female usually allows them time (about 72 hours or so) to reach the egg before they are destroyed.

Some females have immune systems that are adept at making antibodies to sperm, and this is a very serious cause of infertility (sperm are destroyed quickly) and/or vaginal inflammation (causing painful intercourse).

Another related question: How come the mother doesn't reject the baby developing inside her? I mean, the baby has "foreign" DNA too (from the father) and lives inside the mom for 38 WEEKS!

Answer: The placenta has a membrane that blocks the mom's body from recognizing the baby as "foreign". Alot of research has gone into figuring out how to apply this to blocking organ rejection after transplantation. They just haven't quite figured it out yet, but I think they will soon.

The immune system of the female DOES recognize the foreign DNA of sperm, but the fact that the sperm don't enter the blood stream of the female usually allows them time (about 72 hours or so) to reach the egg before they are destroyed.

Some females have immune systems that are adept at making antibodies to sperm, and this is a very serious cause of infertility (sperm are destroyed quickly) and/or vaginal inflammation (causing painful intercourse).

Another related question: How come the mother doesn't reject the baby developing inside her? I mean, the baby has "foreign" DNA too (from the father) and lives inside the mom for 38 WEEKS!

Answer: The placenta has a membrane that blocks the mom's body from recognizing the baby as "foreign". Alot of research has gone into figuring out how to apply this to blocking organ rejection after transplantation. They just haven't quite figured it out yet, but I think they will soon.

Sweet. Thanks for answering my question.