[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Getting out of paying a collections bill

Chavez

if it is his debt and he is going to pay anyone it should be the original creditor and not a collection agency.

So, morally what he should do is stonewall the collections agency until the 7 years is completely past, then send an anonymous payment in the amount of the original debt (plus reasonable interest**) to the original lender.

**I would use the prime rate as the interest rate, but I wouldn't feel any real obligation to pay late fees etc.

(Of course, have we established yet whether or not the money is actually owed?)

So.......Republicans should have not complain about higher taxes to pay off the national debt that has been incured by Dubya's war? After all, it is THEIR debt. :D

:D if it's my debt then they can take my portion outta social security, farm subsidies, pork-barrell appropriations, and the like, and you can pay for those.

So, morally what he should do is stonewall the collections agency until the 7 years is completely past, then send an anonymous payment in the amount of the original debt (plus reasonable interest**) to the original lender.

**I would use the prime rate as the interest rate, but I wouldn't feel any real obligation to pay late fees etc.

(Of course, have we established yet whether or not the money is actually owed?)

i wasnt talking about morals...as someone that has to monitor his credit report frequently(i am a JR. if you are a JR. you will know what I mean)...DYK that if you pay the collection agent 100%(lets say its within the statue of limitations) that they CAN NOT remove any negative remarks from your credit report that were placed there by the original creditor.

Edited by keggerz

So.......Republicans should have not complain about higher taxes to pay off the national debt that has been incured by Dubya's war? After all, it is THEIR debt. :D

And another potentially useful thread takes a giant step towards getting gunned. Nicely done. :D

And another potentially useful thread takes a giant step towards getting gunned. Nicely done. :D

This is a civil discussion. I'm not calling Azz names, and he isn't calling me names. Why would this be gunned? However, I will go back and delete the post if I've potentially offended anyone or if it would make you guys happy.

Edit for edits. :D

Edited by Brewer

so since it's almost 7 years, maybe you're right and he can weasel his way out of paying his debts with no negative consequences. some people might quibble with your "no obligation to pay" characterization, though. it IS his debt.

Fair enough.

How about no legal obligation to pay?

This is a civil discussion. I'm not calling Azz names, and he isn't calling me names. Why would this be gunned? However, I will go back and delete the post if I've potentially offended anyone or if it would make you guys happy.

Considering the state of the tailgate, introducing politics into any thread is a fantastic way to get it gunned. It's not caustic now, but these things have a tendency to end up that way. I don't think it's offensive, just a good way to kill an interesting thread.

by the way, he said that the account is 7 years old. that doesn't mean all of the debt is. they can and will f*ck with his credit pretty bad up through those 7 years.

Which is way I referenced "debt" and did not reference "account."