[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dog Owners, Dog Experts or anyone who knows anything about Dogs

Hat Trick

so, HT...it sounds like maybe your kids aren't that phobic around dogs, they just haven't really been very exposed to them. if it's the latter i'm wondering if that would change SM's advice at all.

i'm wondering if beagle might be a good breed. they do shed, but they've got short hair. they'd be a good match for what you're looking for as far as temperament. great little dogs.

breeds that are much smaller than that tend to be skittish and/or assertive at least a fair amount of the time; and i know you don't want anything too big.

edit to add: i would also pitch the boston terrier, as they are reliably great with kids as well. but mine at least is a little....energetic, shall we say. most kids LOVE playing with him, and he with them, but he can come on a tad strong with kids who are a little uneasy around dogs.

Edited by Azazello1313

I have a yellow lab that we got when my 8 year old was 6 mos and never had problems with it with him even though they say don't get labs with young children.

:D i can say i have never herd that... on the contrary female labs are usually the best with small kids.. or so i have been told and have dun...

:D i can say i have never herd that... on the contrary female labs are usually the best with small kids.. or so i have been told and have dun...

Definately when they get bigger they are great with kids but I was told when the are pups (TOSU) that they can be rough with the youngins when they are trying to walk, low to the ground, that sort of thing.

When they are old like mine they are great around house, sans the shedding.

so, HT...it sounds like maybe your kids aren't that phobic around dogs, they just haven't really been very exposed to them. if it's the latter i'm wondering if that would change SM's advice at all.

i'm wondering if beagle might be a good breed. they do shed, but they've got short hair. they'd be a good match for what you're looking for as far as temperament. great little dogs.

breeds that are much smaller than that tend to be skittish and/or assertive at least a fair amount of the time; and i know you don't want anything too big.

From over breeding, many Beagles even from the best breeders show possession aggression issues (guard food, toys, objects), so they are not good trait to have around children.

Also agree that a JRT is not a good fit.

Schnauzers are supposed to have good all around temperaments, but I haven't met one yet that does.

Greyhound Rescue is not a good suggestion.

I'd say Shnauzer, but not a miniature.... they can be high strung. They don't shed, are good with kids, but must be taken to a dog groomer for regularly scheduled cuts.

I will differ with the experts here.... I think it's fine to have a pup with young kids, but you have to do plenty of research and know exactly what you are getting into. The kids should be supervised especailly early on with the puppy. They need to learn how to play without teasing, and understand it isn't a rag doll. They need to understand that any puppy will play bite, and that while it might not feel good, it's normal and they won't be hurt by it.

It's a lot of work. Teaching the kids, training the pup, and generally being ready to go through some growing pains as a family group. Dogs can also teach kids what responabilty means... not that they should be made responsible for the dog, but to share in it's care. Be prepared to double or triple the time you expect you'll have to spend on raising a puppy. Quadruple the aggravation..... with damaged stuff from chewing and peeing, etc... but also know that having a dog in a family is one of the most rewarding ventures a family can "embark" (pun intended) upon, the rewards can be wonderful. JMHO of course, but I've owned or been a dog family with 9 dogs so far in my lifetime, and I'll never be without one.... sometimes two!

I'm no expert, but I do have a lot of experience in terms of dog ownership, and I say go for it.

Just got a Cockapoo back in January. She was around 9 weeks when we got her and we are all doing well with training her and learing about life with a little dog. My of my neighbors is the President of Invisible Fence in the NC, SC and GA area and has been tremdously helpful when we did our puppy homework and decided on her mixed breed because of the shedding / allergies / kid friendly demeamor.

I left you a VM so if you want to call me back I would be happy to give you any information I can provide and you can ask any questions that you want since I have been going through the puppy stages over the past few months.

One of the good sites that you may want to check out is www.findpuppy.com It is great because they great information about various breeds, hook you up to breeders for that breed and you can search via location (by state). There are multiple places around Missouri so there are plenty of good breeders within your area, so when you decide what breed you should be able to check out the place without having to drive very far. :D

Catch you later.

Edited by PSULions

Just got a Cockapoo back in January. She was around 9 weeks when we got her and we are all doing well with training her and learing about life with a little dog. My of my neighbors is the President of Invisible Fence in the NC, SC and GA area and has been tremdously helpful when we did our puppy homework and decided on her mixed breed because of the shedding / allergies / kid friendly demeamor.

I left you a VM so if you want to call me back I would be happy to give you any information I can provide and you can ask any questions that you want since I have been going through the puppy stages over the past few months.

Catch you later.

actually cockapoo is probably a very good choice here, if HT doesn't mind a ghey/little old lady dog.

:D

One of the good sites that you may want to check out is www.findpuppy.com It is great because they great information about various breeds, hook you up to breeders for that breed and you can search via location (by state). There are multiple places around Missouri so there are plenty of good breeders within your area, so when you decide what breed you should be able to check out the place without having to drive very far. :D

Catch you later.

There could be a lot of breeders in Missouri because that is where many of the puppy mills are. Be very aware buying puppies from out of state and having them shipped to you. If you get a purebred, make sure the breeder is in good standing and a member of the local and national breed club-and that's just the start. Many breeders in good standing, are not the best at breeding for health and temperament, but at least it's a place to start your research. Stay away from puppy mills, pet stores and backyard breeders who breed for profit. You should buy from a breeder who is breeding because they are planning to keep a puppy from the litter themselves, and are breeding the pair because they feel this breeding will help to improve the breed for conformation, health and temperament.

If you are going to get a small dog that doesnt shed get a Bichon..My last dog (in my sig :D ) was a bichon. He was awesome with the kids , calm and didnt shed at all. Good luck

:D Appreciate all the advice from everyone :D I've got some homework to do, but as I figured you all sent me in the right direction.

Many Thanks!