[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Faced with a choice between OPEC and America, who does W support?

wiegie

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Separately at a House hearing, lawmakers were told that crude oil prices have played a relatively minor role in the sharp increase in gasoline costs over the last three months, putting the blame on lower gasoline imports, refinery outages and continuing growth in demand from motorists.

Refinery outages, eh? Didn't Enron pull some kind of similar stunt?

:D:D:tup:

ROBERT LIEBER: Well, structural means that there isn't enough refining capacity. There's been little expansion of that capacity in the last quarter-century, in part due to the "not in my backyard" syndrome.

you laugh and then you cry about high prices.....keep up the good work!!!

You think that the "not in my backyard", or NIMBY syndrome is exclusive to libs? :D

You need to get out more son. I've done land development work in counties that are 3:1 republican, and the NIMBY syndrome is in full force there.

You think that the "not in my backyard", or NIMBY syndrome is exclusive to libs? :D

You need to get out more son. I've done land development work in counties that are 3:1 republican, and the NIMBY syndrome is in full force there.

:D:tup::doh:

Not me. I don't give two $hits about gas prices. I have a 10 minute commute and can afford the gas anyway. I find the whining conservatives funny, which is great as I see so many of them, it keeps me smilin' all day. :D

And we have a refinery not that far away. Do you?

Not me. I don't give two $hits about gas prices. I have a 10 minute commute and can afford the gas anyway. I find the whining conservatives funny, which is great as I see so many of them, it keeps me smilin' all day. :D

And we have a refinery not that far away. Do you?

there is one in indiana i believe. but its old and falling apart. working at half its capacity.

Whenever confronted with this type of question, I think about what the wrong answer would be and simply assume that is the coward-in-chief's choice. You've probably hit close to to .925 over the past 6 years just doing that.

Used to be. Someone had several years to get things done as well. Didn't happen then either did it?

lets see....on top of refining capacity, we need more oil because our demand is increasing. we should be drilling in anwar and the gulf of mexico. but guess who has stopped us from doing that.........

lets see....on top of refining capacity, we need more oil because our demand is increasing. we should be drilling in anwar and the gulf of mexico. but guess who has stopped us from doing that.........

I dunno. You said that we have all of these outages because we can't build any more refineries. Now it's not really the refineries, but anwar? Stay on track here. Indiana goes republican does it not?

I dunno. You said that we have all of these outages because we can't build any more refineries. Now it's not really the refineries, but anwar? Stay on track here. Indiana goes republican does it not?

Why is gas higher this year?

There are different factors that led to the run up in prices this year. Last year, the price of crude oil was significantly higher - $8 a barrel higher. Part of the reason crude oil prices were higher last year was due to tensions in the Middle East and production of crude.

But despite lower crude oil prices this year, gasoline prices this year are higher. The key reason is that inventories of finished gasoline are down. Once the crude oil comes to the United States, it has to be produced into gasoline in a refinery. Refinery production in the United States is significantly down relative to last year.

Why?

Over time, the demand for gasoline has increased, but our refinery capacity has not. From 1990 to 2007, the refinery capacity in the United States to produce finished gas has only gone up 11 percent. Meanwhile, the demand continues to rise.

So, in almost 20 years, refinery capacity has changed very little.

In the 1980s, we had an excess capacity to produce gasoline. So if a refinery got shut down or had to have maintenance, we basically could absorb the shutdown and still continue to make a lot of gasoline. But today, we're running at about 90-plus percent of our capacity.

Three large refineries in the United States now are undergoing unexpected maintenance. One in California, one in Indiana and the other, I believe, in Texas.

Is it unusual that these refineries are all down at the same time? Is it bad planning or a behind-the-scenes desire to push the costs of gasoline up?

It is not necessarily bad planning. We are talking about a very complex procedure in terms of refining gas. It's a highly volatile production process. So accidents will happen, and they will require maintenance.

Some of the shut downs are expected and others are unexpected. The problem is that we don't have any built-in extra capacity to deal with these unexpected shutdowns. There haven't been any new refineries built in the United States recently.

Interesting post, but how do you draw the conclusin that capacity only increasing 11% from 1990 to 2007 is the fault of liberals? Perhaps oil companies decided that the return on investment to increase capacity wasn't worth it, when they could just sell less for more.

Edited by Brewer

Idiot should probably Google Jeb Bush drilling Florida.....tell you what, I'll do it for you.

With his brother, Gov. Jeb Bush, looking on, President Bush sealed a deal Wednesday to prevent further oil and gas drilling off the white sand beaches of the Florida Gulf Coast and in the cypress swamps near the Everglades.

The unexpected announcement would require the federal government to repurchase $235 million worth of oil and gas leasing rights in the Destin Dome area, about 25 miles south of Pensacola, and in three wildlife areas including Big Cypress National Preserve.

Jeb Bush acknowledged that the Oval Office announcement would boost his re-election campaign in Florida, the swing state in the 2000 presidential election and a tourism mecca where polls show 75 percent oppose offshore drilling.

So Bush is a liberal, yes?

Link

Why don't you give it up Dmarc?

That's probably the totally wrong answer. Our dependence on oil forces us to make bad political decisions, bad environmental decisions and increasingly bad economic ones. Seems to me that any policy that isn't geared towards decreasing demand is flawed.

Yes I know that means I have to cut out taking my daughter for a drive around the lake if we can't find anything else to do.