[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm taking the plunge.....

rocknrobn26

after getting a ridiculously high bill from AT&T. :doh:

The pricing right now is pretty decent. Some special deal right now. I have the max package along w/ that sports network rip-off ($5.99) which actually only gives me the NFL network considering what I watch sportswise.

Long story short w/ the "deal" they have now I can get the BB, Cable (maxed out) AND their VOIP service for only $4 more per month than I'm paying now ($183)! :D That'll save me a minimum of $70 w/ AT&T (avg bill $75)! And then after year one it goes up ~$20/month. Still a $50 savings per month. If I factor in Vonage, it will take over 2 years for a payback.

DSL is NOT an option as it is not available in my area.

Dish is not a consideration either due to many factors.

Cell phones can get flaky in my area rendering it's use as unreliable. Long story.

And, supposedly, Comcast VOIP is different than Vonage, et. al., because Comcast uses a different server (line) than their BB, whereas Vonage uses your ISP/BB. :tup: If that is true, it seems like my BB could go down but my VOIP MAY stay up. :D

As many of you know I do not like Comcast, if for no other reason their stranglehold on my area. But I guess sometimes one has to shake hands w/ the devil.

Questions:

Anyone here have Comcast's VOIP?

Is so, what do you think of it?

If you have in house line problems, who do you call?

Does my math seem sound?

I don't pinch pennies, but if it works well, ~$800/ year savings is serious money.

I welcome all comments, +/-, doesn't matter.

TIA

rr26

Sweet deal, RR!!! Glad to hear how well you're going to make out. I did the same thing last year and wouldn't look back. I switched from AT&T (phone) and Comcast for internet and TV service and couldn't be any happier.

I got the deal where Verizon and DTV teamed up and you get a pretty sweet deal. I pay about $160 for all three- Internet, TV and phone.

Sweet deal, RR!!! Glad to hear how well you're going to make out. I did the same thing last year and wouldn't look back. I switched from AT&T (phone) and Comcast for internet and TV service and couldn't be any happier.

I got the deal where Verizon and DTV teamed up and you get a pretty sweet deal. I pay about $160 for all three- Internet, TV and phone.

Any reason why you didn't get all 3 from Comcast? :D

Any reason why you didn't get all 3 from Comcast? :D

Wasn't anywhere near as good a deal. As a matter of fact I was paying as much just for TV and Internet service with Comcast as I am for all three now. I've lost my DTV reception twice in about a year and for no longer than 3-5 minutes, whereas I've lost reception with Comcast way more than that and one time I remember I lost it for 2 days or so. Same with my internet connection I used to lose it all the time and needed to keep resetting my modem, etc. My internet connection has been great through Verizon and DTV is flat out awesome. And I'm paying way less!! :D

Edited by irish

^Bumpers for the morning crew....

I could have sworn several people here had VOIP w/ or w/o Comcast.

Rockn, my wife is a marketing director for a company that carries the exact product of Comcast. Whatever area Comcast isn't in, you'll find her company. The product is top-notch and we've never had any issues with it. She could talk your ear off about the disadvantages of Vonage but that's only because she's in Marketing and it's her job to sell their product. :D

As for tech issues, well, we have a corporate number we call that puts us into direct contact with a tech so I can't offer any advice there.

The bundle package is the way to go because it'll cut down your costs significantly.