[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Million dolla home theater set-up

TimC

$200k for the cables

An Audio System that Spares No Expense

When you spend $200,000 on audio cable, you know you're in a whole new league.

When the owner of this home theater decided on having an audiophile-grade system, he went all out—to the tune of more than a million dollars.

The room consists of super-high-end Wilson Audio loudspeakers, FM Acoustics amplifiers, a Meridian surround processor and DVD player, a Halco preamplifier, dCS SACD transport and digital-to-audio converter, ReQuest Multimedia hard drive servers, about $200,000 worth of Transparent Audio cable, and a Faroudja D-ILA (direct-drive image light amplifier) video projector and processor—and those are just the highlights.

“It’s nothing like I’ve experienced, and I’ve been in the business 25 years,” says audio/video installer Don Krasen of Krystal Clear Audio-Video. To say this system is powerful is a huge understatement. FM Acoustic amps can pump out 350 watts into 8 ohms of impedance and almost 900 into 2 ohms of impedance, and the Wilson loudspeakers will go down to 3 ohms, according to Krasen.

In addition to the tall Wilson Alexandria speakers in the front and the Wilson Maxx speakers in the back, Krasen used a Wilson Watch center channel and five Wilson Watchdog subwoofers. “One sub is in front under the center channel, because Wilson doesn’t have full-range center channel,” says Krasen. The sub provides the low sounds for that speaker.

Bass traps built into the corners with MDF board and filled with insulation absorb excess bass and help hide three of the subwoofers. Another is visible in the back. Krasen, an acoustic consultant himself, designed the room and bass traps in conjunction with Reiss Audio. “There’s prodigious bass, but it’s extremely tight,” says Krasen.

The sound doesn’t go outside the area. “The room is designed like a recording studio,” Krasen explains, with room-within-a-room construction and a decoupled floor, so it’s not joined directly to the walls and susceptible to traveling vibrations. Acoustic foam and a space between the two perimeter walls also help isolate the sound.

This room, with its adjacent bar area and two-story wine cellar, is actually in the back of the offices for the owner’s several investment businesses. He knew when he bought the lot and rebuilt the historic-area structure that it would include the audiophile room of his dreams. “I love music, and this combines everything I’ve wanted,” he says. “I can use it to hang out with my friends and enjoy the wine cellar. I have also used it to entertain clients, which is fun. Everyone has their favorite music and bands, and we have an extensive selection of DVDs. We’ll pop in the Eagles DVD, and it’s like you’re there.”

EQUIPMENT LIST

Display

Faroudja HD-ILA 1080p projector

Faroudja DVP1080 HD video processor

Stewart Filmscreen VE120HST13W-12-2-5.25 projection screen

Draper SL4 projector lift

Marantz PD-5050D 50-inch plasma

Chief PDR-2023 plasma mount

Audio/Video Components

dCS La Scala DSD upsampling CD/SACD transport

dCS Elgar Plus DAC

dCS Verona master clock

DirecTV H20 HD satellite receiver (2)

FM Acoustics FM 811 power amps (2)

FM Acoustics FM115 mono power amp

Halcro dm8 linestage amp

Meridian 861 surround-sound processor

Meridian 800D CD/DVD player

ReQuest Tera 1200 music server

Speakers

Totem Acoustic TAC 6.5 in-Ceiling speakers (bar)

Wilson Audio Alexandria2 speakers (2)

Wilson Audio Watch center speaker

Wilson Audio MAXX2 surround speakers (2)

Wilson Audio Watchdog subwoofers (5)

Control

Crestron TPMC-10 WiFi color touchpanel

Crestron TPMC-10-DS WiFi docking station

Crestron TPS-2000L color wall-mounted touchpanel

Lighting

Lutron ST-6BRL-NI-WH SeeTouch keypad (3)

Furniture, Acoustics & Accessories

Audioplex speaker to line level converter

Balanced Audio Technology output adapters

Golden Sound XT-1 HDMI cable

Panasonic KX-T30865 door phone

Panasonic KX-TD7680 wireless phone

Meridian 421 HDMI switcher

Meridian 121 HDMI cable extender

Niles TVA 50 speaker switcher

Transparent Cable cables and interconnects

Transparent Cable PI8 surge protection/power conditioner

Vimco window shades

I think those speakers are $100k a piece. It's nice, but not a million dollar nice IMO. Still, I wouldn't kick it out.

I am usually a lurker here just reading posts, but I saw those pics of the setup and I have to say this seems like a waste. it looks like the dollars were spent on equipment (possibly as bragging rights?). The room doesnt have theatre seating for more than 3 people from the looks of it, and doesnt look comfortable. I think probably most of us here with 1/4 of that money could've done something more reasonable and still had very nice quality picture and sound.

Then again I dont even have 1/4 of that money to throw around....or 1/10, 1/100 or 1/200....ah nevermind, I'm broke. :D

I just had to purchase some special "drywall" called Quiet Rock(THX 545 i think is the exact spec name)....this stuff is 1 3/8" thick and is what they use in theaters to keep the sound from bleeding thru....that stuff isnt cheap either(the only THX approved product on the market)...cost=$265/4x8sheet...i needed it to enclose the compressors for my store(my restaurant neighbor didnt like the sound)...I wonder if he used any of that product

http://www.quietsolution.com/html/quietroc...CFRPdPgodo2lNaw scroll down to the bottom of the page and listen to the the difference btwn their products and how it kills the sound

Edited by keggerz

timmay, it's bad enough I got Mod fever, now you go and give me HT Ugrade fever. I wonder if I'll ever see a paycheck again?

timmay, it's bad enough I got Mod fever, now you go and give me HT Ugrade fever. I wonder if I'll ever see a paycheck again?

Give in to the passion. :D

Like Joe said though...make sure it seats more than 3 or so. For a million, I'd have a couple of hundred seats.