[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How much should I give for a HS graduation "open-house"

wiegie

We have those in Minnesota and it's been in style for as long as I can remember in the 60's.

$20-30 seems fine because many people are invited to many graduating parties. Teachers would have to take a second mortgage if they gave everyone that much however. Nobody expects them to give that much.

Btw, you were all invited to my son's open house which was last Friday. Surprisingly, they signed his diploma.

Edited by MikesVikes

We have those in Minnesota and it's been in style for as long as I can remember in the 60's.

$20-30 seems fine because many people are invited to many graduating parties. Teachers would have to take a second mortgage if they gave everyone that much however. Nobody expects them to give that much.

Btw, you were all invited to my son's open house which was last Friday. Surprisingly, they signed his diploma.

Was and did. :D

Apparently when kids graduate from high-school in west Michigan their parents throw an "open-house" for them and invite basically the equivalent of the people that would be invited to the kids wedding (assuming it was a reasonably large wedding). To me it seems like these things are basically set up as a money-grab for kids... so my question is, how much should I give?

(Are these sort of things common in other parts of the country? Where I grew up, the parents might throw a small party for close relatives (or perhaps friends of the kids themselves), but the parents' friends didn't get invited to the best of my knowledge.)

Can't speak for the rest of the country, but it's a very common midwest thing. I graduated HS 20+ years ago...:D, and I had a pretty big open house with family, my friends, and friends of my parents. I've even started attending them for some of my friends kids and co-workers kids who are now graduating.

How much we give depends on the kid and how well we know them or the parents. Good friends and family members we usually toss $50, but if it's a co-worker that we just go because we are "work friends", it's usually $25.

There's no real rule of thumb, just give them what you feel you want to give.