[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

All of you 9/11 theorist out there

cliaz

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2007-06-...se_N.htm?csp=34

Purdue study supports WTC collapse findings

Updated 20h 33m ago | Comments 12 | Recommend 3 E-mail | Save | Print | Subscribe to stories like this

By Steve Herman, Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS — A computer simulation of the 2001 World Trade Center attacks supports a federal agency's findings that the initial impact from the hijacked airplanes stripped away crucial fireproofing material and that the weakened towers collapsed under their own weight.

The two-year Purdue University study, funded in part by the National Science Foundation, was the first to use 3-D animation to provide visual context to the attacks, said Christoph Hoffmann, a professor of computer science and one of the lead researchers on the project.

ANIMATION: Purdue researchers reconstruct the World Trade Center impact

"One thing it does point out... is the absolute essential nature of fireproofing steel structures," Hoffmann told The Associated Press. "This is something that wasn't done originally in the World Trade Center when it was built. It wasn't code at that time."

Mete Sozen, a professor of structural engineering and a lead investigator on the simulation, said Purdue researchers hope their work leads to better structural design and building codes to prevent similar collapses.

"In the unfortunate development that we shall have to design structures to survive such events, the methods we have developed and will be developing will be of great use to designers," Sozen said.

The animation, intended in part to help engineers design safer buildings, begins with a map of lower Manhattan as it appeared on Sept. 11, 2001. The video then shows a plane slicing through several stories of the World Trade Center's north tower and follows the disintegrating plane through the interior and out the opposite side.

The report concludes that the weight of the aircraft's fuel, when ignited, produced "a flash flood of flaming liquid" that knocked out a number of structural columns within the building and removed the fireproofing insulation from other support structures, Hoffmann said.

The simulation also found that the airplane's metal skin peeled away shortly after impact and shows how the titanium jet engine shafts flew through the building like bullets.

Ayhan Irfanoglu, a Purdue professor of civil engineering, said half of the building's weight-bearing columns were concentrated at the cores of the towers.

"When that part is wiped out, the structure comes down," Irfanoglu said. "We design structures with some extra capacity to cover some uncertainties, but we never anticipate such heavy demand coming from an aircraft impact. If the columns were distributed, maybe, the fire could not take them out so easily."

A 2005 report following a three-year investigation by the National Institute of Standards and Technology, a federal engineering agency, recommended that cities raise fire standards for skyscrapers and develop new materials that can better protect tall buildings from fire. That analysis did not blame the collapse on the steel or design of the towers, but instead focused on the damage to the fireproofing.

Shyam Sunder, the lead NIST investigator, said he was aware of the Purdue study and called it and his own agency's study "among probably the most prominent analyses that have been conducted in the United States."

The animation is the latest project by the Purdue team to assess the structural damage from the Sept. 11 attacks. The team also studied the impact of the crash into the Pentagon.

Ok ... But most conspiracy theorists are not focused only on this aspect ..I think most would agree the heat was ahuge factor in the buildings collapse so don't think the findings changes their mind one bit

Including many who believe a missile hit pentagon

I am not one of conspiracy theorists anyway

:D at using logic and facts in an effort to persuade Charlie Sheen, Rosie O'Donnell, & their ilk. Let me know how that works out for you.

Charlie Sheen subscribes to some government conspiracy? I guess I've never heard anything about this because I never listen to or read anything "celebrities" say.

explain ? 3000 people dead , buildings destroyed by terrorists who used planes to crash into them and kill innocent lives and you are making a joke about global warming ...like i said , poor taste

not a joke about 9/11, a joke about global warming. my apologies if u took it the wrong way

Charlie Sheen subscribes to some government conspiracy? I guess I've never heard anything about this because I never listen to or read anything "celebrities" say.

LINK

O'Donnell, Sheen Back 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Stars Cite Movie As Evidence Of Government Conspiracy

Andrew Kirtzman

Reporting

(CBS) NEW YORK A controversial new film about 9/11 is raising eyebrows, not only for its content, but also for the people involved in the project: Rosie O'Donnell and Charlie Sheen.

The sitcom actor and talk show hostess have both become spokespeople for the 9/11 conspiracy movement.

"If the government is lying about flight 93, is it hard to believe the rest is a lie?" That line can be heard on the video "Loose Change," which has been floating around the Internet for years, but now Sheen is in talks with Magnolia Pictures to narrate a new version of the video and redistribute it.

Sheen believes the government may have been behind the attacks, and said so in a recent interview.

"I have a hard time believing a fireball traveled down the elevator over 1100 feet, and still had the explosive energy to destroy the lobby as it was described," Sheen said on "The Alex Jones Show."

Meanwhile, O'Donnell has been using her Web site to reprint excerpts from the 9/11 conspiracy site, Whatreallyhappened.com.

The conspiracy theorists believe that the government blew up the twin towers and covered up the evidence by making it appear that commercial airplanes flew into the buildings. They also believe al-Qaida had nothing to do with the attacks. "I know it's hard to imagine the government would intentionally murder almost 3000 innocent people, but once you begin to accept that possibility you can never go back to the 19 Arabs," the movie's narrator goes on to say.

James Meigs is Editor in Chief of Popular Mechanics magazine, which published a book debunking the conspiracy theories put forth in the film and online. He says "Loose Change" has no merit whatsoever.

"It is a brilliantly patched-together stew of all kinds of misconceptions, misquotes and real mistakes about how things really worked on that day," said Meigs.

Magnolia Films founder Mark Cuban, who also owns the Dallas Mavericks, said they're also looking for a film telling the other side of the story, saying "we like controversial subjects."

I'm sure it will be held by some in the same reverance that "An Inconvenient Truth" is...

not a joke about 9/11, a joke about global warming. my apologies if u took it the wrong way

i work in manhattan ...lived in NY when it happened ...all were effected by it ..meant no harm if i got a little gung ho as well Dmarc ..my apologies as well

i work in manhattan ...lived in NY when it happened ...all were effected by it ..meant no harm if i got a little gung ho as well Dmarc ..my apologies as well

i work in the financial field, lost a few people i knew as well. just hate when people try to say it was a conspiracy by our govt to kill thousands.

LINK

O'Donnell, Sheen Back 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Stars Cite Movie As Evidence Of Government Conspiracy

Andrew Kirtzman

Reporting

(CBS) NEW YORK A controversial new film about 9/11 is raising eyebrows, not only for its content, but also for the people involved in the project: Rosie O'Donnell and Charlie Sheen.

The sitcom actor and talk show hostess have both become spokespeople for the 9/11 conspiracy movement.

"If the government is lying about flight 93, is it hard to believe the rest is a lie?" That line can be heard on the video "Loose Change," which has been floating around the Internet for years, but now Sheen is in talks with Magnolia Pictures to narrate a new version of the video and redistribute it.

Sheen believes the government may have been behind the attacks, and said so in a recent interview.

"I have a hard time believing a fireball traveled down the elevator over 1100 feet, and still had the explosive energy to destroy the lobby as it was described," Sheen said on "The Alex Jones Show."

Meanwhile, O'Donnell has been using her Web site to reprint excerpts from the 9/11 conspiracy site, Whatreallyhappened.com.

The conspiracy theorists believe that the government blew up the twin towers and covered up the evidence by making it appear that commercial airplanes flew into the buildings. They also believe al-Qaida had nothing to do with the attacks. "I know it's hard to imagine the government would intentionally murder almost 3000 innocent people, but once you begin to accept that possibility you can never go back to the 19 Arabs," the movie's narrator goes on to say.

James Meigs is Editor in Chief of Popular Mechanics magazine, which published a book debunking the conspiracy theories put forth in the film and online. He says "Loose Change" has no merit whatsoever.

"It is a brilliantly patched-together stew of all kinds of misconceptions, misquotes and real mistakes about how things really worked on that day," said Meigs.

Magnolia Films founder Mark Cuban, who also owns the Dallas Mavericks, said they're also looking for a film telling the other side of the story, saying "we like controversial subjects."

I'm sure it will be held by some in the same reverance that "An Inconvenient Truth" is...

How weird. What a tool. However, putting this nonsense in the same frame as An Inconvenient Truth is foolish.

Why? They both use real events and apply fiction to create works of B.S.

Um....no. But since I've read your thoughts on climate change before, I'll spare myself and everyone else the honor and privilege of reading them again. :D