[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Keeper League Question

CuseJF06

In my keeper league, we are allowed to keep up to 3 players. You keep a player in lieu of a draft pick the following year. This pick is 2 rounds prior to where you drafted your keeper. For example, I drafted Reggie Bush in the 3rd round, so if I decide to keep him, I lose a 1st round pick.

Here are 5 players I am considering keeping and where I drafted them......

Reggie Bush - 3rd

Andre Johnson - 5th

DeAngelo Williams - 9th

Marion Barber - 13th

Jerious Norwood - 15th

It is a 12 team league and i have 12th pick becuase I won the league last year. So, if I choose to keep Bush, I lose the 12th pick in the draft.

Right now I am thinking of holding on to Johnson, Barber, and Norwood. I figure Bush may slide to 12 anyway. It is a point per reception league so Bush's value is pretty high.

What do you guys think?

The 12th pick for Bush is about right (though, if I understand the rules correctly, you won't be able to keep him next year).

Johnson for a third rounder is iffy. You can get comparable or better WRs around then I would think, so I'd rather leave myself the open option.

Williams for a 7th is a pretty good value IMO.

Barber for an 11th also decent value, but I'm not sold on him getting the solo job or even getting the majority of carries.

Norwood for a 13th is a good price. Definite good value here.

Can you start 3 RBs? I'd be tempted to keep Bush, Williams and Norwood, and focus on WRs with the first two picks. Maybe you can find a decent value WR that you can trade for and keep, giving you the option to let Bush go as it seems you are open to doing and gambling on him being there at 12.

Yea, in this league you can't keep anyone you drafted in the 1st or 2nd round so I would only be able to keep Bush for one year.

We only start 2 running backs.

I almost have to keep Norwood.

I figure by the time i draft my 3rd round pick, which will be in the mid 30s, is a good spot for Johnson to come off the board.

I figure by the time i draft my 3rd round pick, which will be in the mid 30s, is a good spot for Johnson to come off the board.

While it may be a good spot for him to come off the board, the fact that it isn't real good value means you are likely better off letting him go back into the player pool figuring that 9 times out of 10 you will get a better or comparable player at the pick.

The same can not be said about Deangelo and Norwood, IMO, making them better candidates for being keepers than Johnson given the situation and your keeper rules (Can only keep Johnson one season after this one if you protect him, can hold Deangelo and Norwood multiple seasons)

Do you have to keep 3 players, or can you protect less?

Is this draft serpentine?

If so, I'd toss Bush back and keep Johnson, D Williams, & Norwood, and you'd have a 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, & 6th to fill out your team. You take the best RB left with your 1st, take a stud WR with your 2nd, and you'll get a very good QB with your 4th (unless a very good WR drops unexpectedly) and a solid WR with your 5th, and have great depth or a top 4 TE with your 6th. You'll have depth & quality at every position, because of that you'll be able to go BPA with every other pick.

If it's a straight draft, I'd keep Bush, D Williams, & Norwood and fill your WR/QB with the BPA with your 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, & 6th picks and then go BPA regardless of position the rest of the way.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Yea serpentine so I have 12th pick, followed by 13th. Would the combination of Williams and Norwood be good enough to use as my 2nd running back if I take a RB1 with my first pick and WR1 with my 2nd pick at 13, or should I take 2 running backs at 12 and 13?

Yea serpentine so I have 12th pick, followed by 13th. Would the combination of Williams and Norwood be good enough to use as my 2nd running back if I take a RB1 with my first pick and WR1 with my 2nd pick at 13, or should I take 2 running backs at 12 and 13?

Hell, yes! D Williams & Norwood is a very good combination for #2 RB/RB depth. Plus you'll have a very good WR corps going that way. Johnson is a decent value to trade out for your pick at the end of the third round to match with the stud WR you get with the 13th pick.

I like the way your team is sitting.

Edited by Bronco Billy