[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tour de France

Chavez

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, what an interesting stage today. Rassmussen rode out of his head and those guys have got to be happy that they've got a day off on Monday.

There won't be an American within a mile of the podium come Paris. Hincape and Leipheimer both look outclassed.

There won't be an American within a mile of the podium come Paris. Hincape and Leipheimer both look outclassed.

I wouldn't go that far. Word was going into the tour that Leipheimer was going to be more patient this year. He did just fine today and lost nothing to the other favorites.

Like this story sort of says...

contador is for real. very impressed with his ride on sunday. valverde and cadel evans look strong, and weren't really tested. same with sastre and menchov. kloden, vino, and leipheimer are still in the mix. really the gauntlet has yet to be thrown, everyone rode pretty cautiously yesterday except rasmussen.

speaking of rasmussen....the guy may have a real shot at yellow this year. he'll lose major time on the time trials, but if he can just stay at the front in every mountain stage, he may give himself enough of a cushion to hold on.

Fixed.

eh, the commentators were all worked up about that, but those guys simply raced a conservative stage. is it a little boring? sure. but neither showed any sign of weakness, and that is the main point. ya know, moreau may actually be a contender this year as well. wouldn't THAT be somethin, an actual french dude winning the tour.

:D you can see some of the riders trying not to laugh their asses off.

They are true professionals - if I saw that running down the road next to me, I'd fall off my bike.

g.c.

1.RASMUSSEN M.RAB 43h 52' 480

2.VALVERDE A.GCE 02' 35"

3.MAYO I.SDV 02' 39"

4.EVANS C.PRL 02' 41"

5.CONTADOR A.DSC 03' 08"

6.MOREAU C.A2R 03' 18"

7.SASTRE C.CSC 03' 39"

8.KLÖDEN A.AST 03' 50"

9.LEIPHEIMER L.DSC 03' 53"

10.KIRCHEN K.TMO 05' 06"

Edited by zmanzzzz

well, after a hugh last 3 days, it has essentially boiled down to a 2-man race between rasmussen and contador. they both did surprisingly well in saturday's time trial, limiting their losses to the top time trialers like evans and kloden. then yesterday and today in the pyrenees, they left all the other contenders in their dust. contador's attacks have been ruthless, dude is an absolute stud in the making. but rasmussen has been able to stay with him on every attack. all the contenders let rasmussen break away on one of the early alps stages a couple weeks ago, thinking he wasn't a contender for the yellow jersey; if not for the 3 minutes he picked up there contador would be the yellow jersey right now. there's an off day tomorrow, then wednesday is the last stage in the pyrenees, there should be major fireworks between contador/discovery and rasmussen/rabobank -- should be awesome.

also, what a roller coaster 3 days for vinokourov. first, he comes out saturday and dominates the time trial, winning the stage by over a minute -- suddenly everyone is talking about him possibly still having an outside shot at winning the tour, despite falling on an early stage and losing time in the alps. then on sunday, he cracked bigtime on the last climb, and lost like half an hour, losing any possible chance at winning overall. he was devastated afterward. so how does he come back today? he gets off in the early breakaway and then kicks everyone's ass for the solo stage win. 3 days, two stage wins, and a nail in the coffin of his chances at yellow. he'll never win the yellow jersey, but he'll always be a badass. i don't think you can be a fan of cycling without loving this guy's heart.

i don't think you can be a fan of cycling without loving this guy's heart.

Didn't Team Discovery make a play for him? They should try again. And if they didn't, they should.

unbelievable :D

PARIS -- Tour de France rider Alexandre Vinokourov failed a doping test after winning Saturday's Tour de France time trial, his team, Astana, announced Tuesday.

Astana did not give any further details, but according to a report on the Web site of the French sports daily L'Equipe, Vinokourov tested positive for a banned blood transfusion.

British rider David Millar, who was holding a press conference in Pau when the news broke, said: "Jesus Christ, I'm speechless."

"With a guy of his stature and class, in cycling's current situation, we might as well pack our bags and go home,"

pretty much.

Re: Vinokurov - Didn't Team Discovery make a play for him? They should try again. And if they didn't, they should.

Then again, maybe they shouldn't. . .

At this point I'd like to reiterate what I said at the beginning of this thread:

I think I'm boycotting the whole thing this year. . .I'm just so sick of the greatest sporting event in the world mired in all the filth it's been in

First tour in years that I just was not that excited about.

Real glad I didn't invest anytime in this sham.

All track and field athletes are dopheads IMO. It would seem the tour ones more than others.

I am truly sad about this

you mean you're not going to try and blame it all on american capitalism? :D

rasmussen basically won himself the tour today with the stage win on col d'aubisque. contador was game, but when none of his attacks hurt rasmussen, all he could do was hang on until the last kilometer. i'm pretty disappointed with levi leipheimer, who was very clearly riding for his own chances at 3rd place rather than for his teammate contador's chances at yellow. he put in one very halfhearted attack at rasmussen early in the last climb...aside from that he just let rasmussen suck his wheel the whole climb while levi was trying to put time into cadel evans. then in the last 500m he ditches contador to get a few more seconds into evans and snag the 2nd place time bonus. pretty lame, levi. with that and the doping suspicions still surrounding rasmussen on his way to yellow in paris, i have to say it was another bad day for cycling.

now rasmussen is out, for....well, nothing really. this whole thing is such a farce. today the start of the race was delayed by a number of french teams "protesting" all of the foreign dopers in their midst. then a member of cofidis, one of the protesting teams, was ejected for failing a drug test. unbelievable.

I'm done with the entire sport. It's beyond comical at this point.