[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Child Bike Seat

Swashbucklers

Looking to hook up with something to put my 15 month old in and start riding around town. Debating between which to go with, a trailer or the seat that hooks on to the back of my bike. Not looking to spend a whole bunch of money (because of the duration of use) but would really like for my boy to be safe. Any thoughts on the topic?

I had the attached seat. My BIL uses a trailer. The seat allowed me to go off-path a bit (which my boy loved) and talk to him easier while riding. We used to ride through huge puddles and explore the undeveloped lots in the neighborhood. I don't think I would do that with a trailer. The people in the neighborhood who use a trailer will sometimes have two kids in it, but I loved the seat.

trailers are the most efficient. bike seats tend to be top heavy and difficult to manuver.

i have a friend who is working on a design where the child is in front facing you with his back to the road. that way you can comfort the kid if needed. babies can get scared and lonely in a trailer.

I've owned/own both. I personally like the seat better. It's better for storage (I hang my bikes from the garage ceiling and still hang fine with the seat attached). It's easier to talk to your child. You can go on smaller paths. You dont have to hook it up everytime you want to use it. Less expensive. Overall they are safer in the trailer, but any experienced rider should be able to handle the additional weight w/o much difficulty.