[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Registering a URL

keggerz

I get enough spam as it is and I was just getting ready to register a couple of URLs for something and decided to actually read the "DOMAIN REGISTRATION AGREEMENT" and low and behold I find this fun little tidbit:

You agree that for each domain name registered by You the following information will be made publicly available in the Whois directory as determined by ICANN Policy and may be sold in bulk as set forth in the ICANN agreement:

* The domain name

* Your name and postal address

* The email address, postal address, voice and fax numbers for technical and administrative contacts

* The Internet protocol numbers for the primary and secondary name servers

* The corresponding names of the name servers

* The original date of registration and expiration date

You agree that, to the extent permitted by ICANN, XXXXXXX may make use of the publicly available information You provided during the registration process.

does anyone know if there are any companies out there that wont sell your info once you register a URL?

fwiw the thing that makes it even funnier is that this company offers a service for like $8/yr to keep your info private so that you wont get spammed from your WHOIS info....how Fn lame is that

I get enough spam as it is and I was just getting ready to register a couple of URLs for something and decided to actually read the "DOMAIN REGISTRATION AGREEMENT" and low and behold I find this fun little tidbit:

does anyone know if there are any companies out there that wont sell your info once you register a URL?

fwiw the thing that makes it even funnier is that this company offers a service for like $8/yr to keep your info private so that you wont get spammed from your WHOIS info....how Fn lame is that

Just lie in your registration info. Everyone does it.

I've never been spammed by the info available in my domain registration. Doesn't mean that it doesn't happen, I've just never been bitten by it in 5 years.

pay a bit extra for private registration. i reccomend it to all my customers although ive never seen anybodys info get sold. if it did i wouldn't use the service i resell.

thats what is so funny about the quote...i included PRIVATE REGISTRATION and that keeps your info in the WHOIS private...but in the part i quoted it says that THEY CAN SELL YOUR INFO

I registered through Microsoft with a link that loaf gave out last year. I've never been spammed.

i found the link via search but I dont see an option with them to make it a private registration

oh and kid thanks for the PM