[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

drafting #10 in 10 team league

crypticfball

All,

I'm preparing for our upcoming draft and I have the 10th pick in 10 team league. As I'll have back to back picks, I'm debating what to do. Get 2 RB's or 1RB and a QB with my first and 2nd round back to back picks. Our league does not award any points for receptions and our flex is either a WR or a TE. scoring for RBs, QBs, and WRs, is as follows:

Passing TD Pass = 4pts, Every 25 passing yards = 1pts,

40+ yard TD pass bonus = 1pt, 50+ yard TD pass bonus = 2pts,

400+ yard passing game = 4pts, 2pt Passing Conversion = 2pts,

Interceptions Thrown = -2pts

Rushing TD Rush = 6pts, 2pt Rushing Conversion = 2pts,

Every 10 rushing yards = 1pt, 40+ yard TD rush bonus = 1pt,

50+ yard TD rush bonus = 2pts, 200+ yard rushing game = 2pts

Each Fumble Lost = -2

Receiving TD Reception = 6pts, 2pt Receiving Conversion = 2pts,

40+ yard TD rec bonus = 1pts, 50+ yard TD rec bonus = 2pts,

Every 10 receiving yards = 1pt, 200+ yard receiving game = 2pts

This is a bit different point system than our league used last year but knowing the guys, I still expect the typical 1st round run on the RBs. So I'm thinking top tier QBs (Manning, Palmer, Brady, Brees) will still be available when I pick. I'm leaning towards grabbing the next available RB, like T. Henry, or R. Johnson, and then nabbing Manning or Palmer assuming they are available. I'm thinking by the time I pick, the RB stock has been thinned out pretty good.

Any thoughts otherwise?

Edited by crypticfball

If all RBs go in the first round, I would go RB, RB with your first 2 picks, unless a top tier RB falls to you at 10. If I had the last pick, i wouldn't want to only have a tier 2 RB and have to wait until the end of the 3rd round to get another one.

If you go RB, RB, you could grab and QB and WR in the 3rd and 4th round. This is just my suggestion because i think the most important thing is to have a solid backfield.

Here are my thoughts... I would definitely grab the best running back available to you when it comes to your 1st pick. However, drafting late in the first round means that if you take another RB with your second pick, you settle for a mid RB when you could have a STUD WR. You can always go back and pick up a bargain back or one with some serious upside. If you wait on the WR situation, you will have to wait a long time to watch the WR fall like flies, and then at best you would have a tier 3 WR. IMO take the best back avail, and take that STUD wideout. In any case, you will piss off the next few guys thinking they were gonna get the pick of the WR litter. RB-WR-RB

If you draft a QB with any of the top 11 picks in a start 1 QB league, you're deserve exactly what you are likely to get - a losing season.

You'll want to take a RB with one of those picks, and then make a decision between whether another RB dropping to you has more value than a top 2/3 WR.

If you draft a QB with any of the top 11 picks in a start 1 QB league, you're deserve exactly what you are likely to get - a losing season.

You'll want to take a RB with one of those picks, and then make a decision between whether another RB dropping to you has more value than a top 2/3 WR.

Especially true in a 10 team league.

Thanks for all the replies. I've been deliberatiing over this one. I see the point of potentially grabbing the best WR at that spot too. We're playing in the ESPN league this season. If you read this following Huddle article it appears to argue that based on the ESPN scoring system, grabbing a top QB is recommended after the first few pics in the first round as they will score more points than the 2nd tier RBs...

http://www.thehuddle.com/x7/articles/dmd-LAG-2007.php

any other thoughts after reviewing this article?

Thanks for all the replies. I've been deliberatiing over this one. I see the point of potentially grabbing the best WR at that spot too. We're playing in the ESPN league this season. If you read this following Huddle article it appears to argue that based on the ESPN scoring system, grabbing a top QB is recommended after the first few pics in the first round as they will score more points than the 2nd tier RBs...

That doesn't change the fact that you should be able to get Brees, Brady. Palmer, Bulger at the end of the 3rd and the drop-off from Manning to them is much smaller than the drop-off from, say Westbrook to whatever RB is out there at pick #30.

I would either go RB/RB or RB/WR right there. I think the only players with the luxury of taking Manning are those drafting 1-3 because they get 3 picks in the top 25 so they can take him and still get 2 solid RBs or get a stud at RB/WR/QB

:sigh:

It's not how many points your players will score - it's how many more (or less) points that your players will score vs their opposite on your opponents' teams.

You're arguing points scored, everyone else here is discussing value. In short, you brought a knife to a gun fight.

Edited by Bronco Billy

excellent points guys. I'm now pretty set on grabbing an RB and then that stud WR depending on what RBs fall to me... that's my normal protocol in the past but this new scoring system we have raised some questions.....

thanks! i'll let you know how it all plays out.