[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

rate my mock!

detlef

OK, so I joined a mock on Antsports to see what might happen in my draft this Saturday. I'm picking in the 1st spot in an 8 team league.

After LT, it was all RBs with the exception of Steve Smith

So, at the 16/17, the best RBs were Willis, Edge, T Jones, MJD...

All QBs and every WR but Smith were there.

What do you do there?

I actually expected a better RB to be there so was a bit surprised. After a bit, I decided to go with Manning and C Johnson

I almost always like to wait on QB, but only have 4 in my top tier and thought being greedy might cost me all of them. Ultimately, I figured, in a small league, why not have the #1 RB, #1 QB, and #1a WR?

Any thoughts?

OK, so I joined a mock on Antsports to see what might happen in my draft this Saturday. I'm picking in the 1st spot in an 8 team league.

After LT, it was all RBs with the exception of Steve Smith

So, at the 16/17, the best RBs were Willis, Edge, T Jones, MJD...

All QBs and every WR but Smith were there.

What do you do there?

I actually expected a better RB to be there so was a bit surprised. After a bit, I decided to go with Manning and C Johnson

I almost always like to wait on QB, but only have 4 in my top tier and thought being greedy might cost me all of them. Ultimately, I figured, in a small league, why not have the #1 RB, #1 QB, and #1a WR?

Any thoughts?

With LT you absolutely have the luxury of going for T1 guys in all 3 slots. Everyone else is playing catchup to you. Take a flyer on a sleeper RB for both RB2 and RB3 (#1 backup) in the Rd 4 and 5. Then get WR2 and WR3. Nice. Oh, to have your 'problems'.....

Edit - why is an old-timer like you in an 8-team league?

Edited by Coffeeman

Edit - why is an old-timer like you in an 8-team league?

It's a league I started with some really close friends 10 years ago. We'd rather keep it amongst close friends than expand. In reality, there's a bit more than 8 guys but a few are always out of the country or otherwise unable to play each year so we never seem to get more than 8. Also, a few of the stand-bys insist on keeping it small because they like having a loaded team. Some of us who are a bit more fanatical managed to work a flex player into it to make the draft a bit more important (gotta find another solid starter).

With LT you absolutely have the luxury of going for T1 guys in all 3 slots. Everyone else is playing catchup to you. Take a flyer on a sleeper RB for both RB2 and RB3 (#1 backup) in the Rd 4 and 5. Then get WR2 and WR3. Nice. Oh, to have your 'problems'.....

Agree with this to an extent. However, I would've skipped on taking Manning knowing it's only a 8-team league and Palmer, Brady, Brees, Bulger, Kitna or McNabb could be had at some point. Hell that's practically a stud QB for each team. I might've doubled up at WR taking CJ and then Harrison. Then with the next 2, taken one of the stud QBs left and the best avail. RB.

Agree with this to an extent. However, I would've skipped on taking Manning knowing it's only a 8-team league and Palmer, Brady, Brees, Bulger, Kitna or McNabb could be had at some point. Hell that's practically a stud QB for each team. I might've doubled up at WR taking CJ and then Harrison. Then with the next 2, taken one of the stud QBs left and the best avail. RB.

That is typically my thought as well. However, I would hesitate to include Kitna in the "stud" dept. There's every chance in the world that he ends up with great stats. However, the peace of mind having Manning at QB compared to starting Kitna? It's a big, big difference. Had I not taken Manning there, I would have certainly grabbed another WR. In fact, I do agree the smart money rolls the dice that one of the top 4 QBs is still there at 4.08.

And that's why we practice. Not that it means how my draft will go, but there's 3 picks left before my next one and Brees, Brady, and Palmer are all still on the board. T Jones (whom I hoped would fall to 32) just got tabbed. As did A Gates and a bunch of other WRs. Fitzgerald and R Williams are still there and I can only hope that somebody grabs a QB before my pick so I can still get them. Of course, if I was any of them, I wouldn't. Seeing as how I'm not going to take one and, worst case, they're assured of one of the three.

The RBs are pretty thin, though Edge is still there. The rest are M Lynch, J Norrwood, Deuce, AP, and Caddilac. I actually like Caddilac this year but he's gonna have to fall to me somewhere in the 60s. You don't have to feel all that bad about Edge at pick #32, but he was certainly not somebody I was excited about having on my team.

That is likely among the worst things about taking a QB early. If you are at the horn pick, any savvy drafter knows you won't be taking one again for a while so he's certainly going to grab RB or WR or stud TE before your pick even if he wants QB.

Oh well. The good news is, Manning always goes sort of high in our draft so I really don't see him falling to me at 16/17