[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

LJ Smith

jaxfactor

Nothing specific.

Wanted: Return of Injured Starters

October 8, 2007 | Last Updated: 10/8/07 5:47 PM ET | Comments (0)

By: BOB KENT

For a team trying to get their starters back on the field, the bye week did come at a good time. But Monday offered little in the way of answers as to the status of injured players like running back Brian Westbrook, tight end L.J. Smith and left tackle William Thomas.

All three players were on the practice field for Monday's closed workout. Though there was no official word from the team, Westbrook and Smith said they "did some things" in practice, while Thomas said he took part in warm-ups.

The players would not talk specifics, but it's clear that they are taking a wait-and-see approach.

"I'm doing everything I can to get ready and get out there on the field," said Westbrook, who entered the bye week ranked fourth in the NFL in yards from scrimmage (70 touches, 514 yds, 7.3 avg.). "For me, that's the most important thing -- do everything I can and when we get to that game on Sunday make a decision."

alt

RB Brian Westbrook

Westbrook missed the Giants game with an abdominal strain, which the running back described Monday as a "muscle tear."

"I compare it to a hamstring," he said. "It gets a little bit better, a little bit better and hopefully you don't have any setbacks. That's the key."

Westbrook knows what he means to the Eagles offense. He also understands the importance of Smith and Thomas. Without this trio of starters, the offense struggled mightily in a 16-3 loss to the Giants prior to the bye week. The hope, of course, is that all three can be back on the field at the Meadowlands Sunday when the team squares off against the New York Jets.

"We've got to get our guys back," Westbrook said. "I'm very important because I touch the ball a lot. Our left tackle is important because he protects Donovan's backside. Our tight end is important because he opens up the middle of the field.

"Everybody has to get back healthy. Everybody has to come out and play a better brand of football than we did in those three losses."

The offense has been unable to get into any kind of sustained rhythm in the first four games – erupting for 56 points against Detroit and then scoring just one touchdown total in the three defeats.

Against the Giants, Philadelphia's offense managed just 190 total yards of offense. Correll Buckhalter put up Westbrook-like numbers in the contest, with 138 yards on 21 touches. At tight end, Smith watched as rookie tight end Brent Celek caught three passes for 31 yards. At left tackle, second-year man Winston Justice was overmatched and overpowered by Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora in a game in which the Eagles offensive line yielded 12 sacks.

"I think whenever you take any piece out of the offense, it kind of changes the chemistry of what's going on," said Thomas, who is nursing an MCL sprain.

The continuity up front -- the left side in particular -- could be impacted further by Todd Herremans' recent surgery. The left guard had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee last Tuesday. A spectator for Monday's practice, Herremans seemed optimistic about his situation.

"I'm sore, but I feel pretty good," Herremans said. "It's just something that has been bothering me, so they took a picture of it to make sure it's nothing serious."

Smith, meanwhile, says he's right on schedule.

"They told me that it wasn't a long, continuous rehab process. It was fairly quick," said Smith, who missed two games after having surgery in which doctors removed scar tissue and drained some fluid from around his groin area. "When it's my time to get back out there I just want to be productive and help this team win some games.

"We need to get all our weapons out there and start playing at a high level."

Per Fanball:

Eagles: Smith is a full-go

10/10/07 04:55 PM

THE NEWS

Eagles tight end L.J. Smith practiced fully on Wednesday, according to the team's official report. "We'll just see how he does. Again, he feels pretty good," head coach Andy Reid tells the official web site prior to practice. Smith has been out since undergoing surgery on September 21 to clean out scar tissue around his groin.

Our View

We'll still consider Smith questionable until we know that he can bounce back from a full day of practice.

Per Fanball:

Eagles: Smith is a full-go

10/10/07 04:55 PM

THE NEWS

Eagles tight end L.J. Smith practiced fully on Wednesday, according to the team's official report. "We'll just see how he does. Again, he feels pretty good," head coach Andy Reid tells the official web site prior to practice. Smith has been out since undergoing surgery on September 21 to clean out scar tissue around his groin.

Our View

We'll still consider Smith questionable until we know that he can bounce back from a full day of practice.

Now that's what I'm talkin about! Thanks! Still have to watch him though.

NBC10 showed him going full-tilt tonight on the news....blocking, running routes....good sign.

Lord knows the Eagles WRs could use him to take some pressure off them outside, and have LJ occupy a safety.

Maybe there's hope for McNabb yet.

From today's Philly Inquirer..after yesterday's practice, everyone was optimistic....everyone except Smith himslef:

Smith, meanwhile, practiced for the first time since undergoing a second surgery for a groin injury related to a sports hernia that was uncovered during the spring. The Eagles' starting tight end has not played since the team's Week 2 loss to Washington. Smith said he practiced a little bit with the first-team offense but acknowledged it will take time to reach the point where he has been in previous seasons.

"I haven't been able to lift with my legs or run, so they have to get tuned up again for me to be full speed," Smith said.

Smith did not guarantee he would play Sunday.

"If I'm going to go out there, I'm not going to put myself in a situation where I was the first two games, where I was just out there hobbling around and didn't look good. If I'm going to go out there, I want to feel like I can contribute in a major way."

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/2007...recovering.html