[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

VPN / Remote Desktop printing on a local PC

CaP'N GRuNGe

Do any of you computer gurus know if it is possible to set up your local printer to be able to print when you are VPN'd and Remote Desktop connected to another PC? I work from home occassionaly and it would be nice if i could be able to print while connected to my work PC onto my home printer.

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

Do any of you computer gurus know if it is possible to set up your local printer to be able to print when you are VPN'd and Remote Desktop connected to another PC? I work from home occassionaly and it would be nice if i could be able to print while connected to my work PC onto my home printer.

If you're VPNed into your work machine you should be able to use your local machine (aka your home machine) to browse any shared folders on your work machine. You can use Windows Explorer to browse them by going to "\\NAME_OF_YOUR_WORK_COMPUTER_OR_IP_ADDRESS" in the address bar of Windows Explorer. On your work machine just set sharing on a folder or two. Then you can copy/paste what you want printed from your work machine into that shared folder (which is also on your work machine). After that, use your explorer to copy/paste that file onto your home machine. Then print to your heart's content.

Not sure how you would be able to get your work comp to connect to your home printer directly though. Maybe one of the networking guys can help you out there.

But what I described above works for me as I work from home quite a bit.

Good luck!

There is a configuration option to make local resources available to the remote computer. When you start up the remote desktop program, the dialog box has an options button. Click this. You will then see a few tabs. One is labeled "local resources". On this tab you will see a few check boxes on the bottom. Use these to enable the resources you want the remote computer to see.

When you connect, temporary shares will be created that only the remote computer can access. You should then be able to select your local printer on the remote system.

There is a configuration option to make local resources available to the remote computer. When you start up the remote desktop program, the dialog box has an options button. Click this. You will then see a few tabs. One is labeled "local resources". On this tab you will see a few check boxes on the bottom. Use these to enable the resources you want the remote computer to see.

When you connect, temporary shares will be created that only the remote computer can access. You should then be able to select your local printer on the remote system.

This is what I do as well. You should see Remote Desktop Connection (RDP) in Start -> All Programs -> Accessories...or you can do Start -> Run (or <windows key> + ) and type in mstsc and hit the enter key.