[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

iPod car hookup

darin3

I know this has probably been discussed before, but with the way these things change, I figure it'll be OK to ask again...

Looking to buy the wife an iPod kit to hook her Mini up in her SUV. She had a Belkin or something-or-other and the thing broke after only a few months' use.

So, who's got one? Care to recommend something? There are a million of 'em on eBay and I'm not sure what to trust.

TIA.

Edit to add: Would prefer one that charges the iPod as well... and need the whole FM transmission thing...

Edited by darin3

I've had the Monster FM Transmitter/Charger for over a year now. Great sound quality, plus the three presets are nice - I just sync them with the presets on my car. (Can still go to any station though)

Before this one however, I'd used a Belkin as well as a Griffin. The Belkin was a piece. (Belkin sells at Wal-Mart... so uhh.. yea.) The Griffin was much better than the Belkin, however the Monster I have now is far superior than both. Neither of them lasted longer than a few months.

Can find it at Best Buy and Radio Shack.

Let me know if ya have any other questions.

I've had the Monster FM Transmitter/Charger for over a year now. Great sound quality, plus the three presets are nice - I just sync them with the presets on my car. (Can still go to any station though)

Before this one however, I'd used a Belkin as well as a Griffin. The Belkin was a piece. (Belkin sells at Wal-Mart... so uhh.. yea.) The Griffin was much better than the Belkin, however the Monster I have now is far superior than both. Neither of them lasted longer than a few months.

Can find it at Best Buy and Radio Shack.

Let me know if ya have any other questions.

Me and my wife both have had one of these Monster's for over a year now as well and it work's great. We bought and took back about 3 other models before settling on this one, save yourself time and trouble and get this model if you plan to go this route.

FM transmitters are, by and large, crap.

Get a Neo ProLink and hardwire it to radio.

If I were more motivated I would suggest this though as you will occasionally run into static (which switching to another channel can correct) but will likely get better sound quality than with any FM transmitter.

FM transmitters are, by and large, crap.

Get a Neo ProLink and hardwire it to radio.

+1. I've had a few and they're nothing short of annoying. Really, so bad that I don't use them at all. In fact, I vastly prefer my wife's old school tape player adapter. Yes, the can be that bad.

I would say either hardwire it or don't bother.

We got upsold to the Monster FM transmitter and it was staticy and jumped around if you touched the cable.

I returned it for the casette tape and charger....for like a total of $25, and haven't had issues. I've heard that the tapes due eventually go but it was only $10. Not all cars have tape decks so we were lucky.

For our next care we'd probably get the Neo Prolink or a factory one put in.....although many cars now are coming with the hook up standard.

Buy her a new car that has a radio with an AUX jack and just plug in a single cable :D

:D Yeah right...

I ended up giving the Monster a try. I was able to get it at a significant discount on eBay. If it doesn't work too good, it'll be worth at least trying... it'll be better than the Belkin one.

Appreciate the input.

Edited by darin3