[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Which new game console for Christmas?

Jimmy Neutron

Thanks for the info, guys. My main gamers are 6 and 10 year-old boys. I think the reason they like the 360 is that their friends have them - I don't think anybody they know has a PS3. :D

I know next to nothing about these systems. I want my kids to have fun with them, but not be exposed to the bad language and over-the-top violence in some of them . Are the ratings a safe guideline? Are there settings to play down the language and blood? I know there was some type of setting on a Clancy game when we first got the PS2.

Again, TIA.

the ratings are usually pretty good, but for 6- and 10-year-olds, i would stick to "E" for everyone and "E 10+" (for 10 years and older). the "teen" ratings are often hit or miss -- a lot are pretty tame, but some toe the line (one teen-rated game i played recently had characters saying "sh*t" and "a-hole," which surprised me). one web site to check is commonsensemedia.org -- they take a pretty level-headed approach to rating all kinds of media, not just games.

also, for the xbox 360, microsoft released today an update that includes a timer, so parents can set a time limit for how long their kids are allowed to play. the xbox gives a warning a few minutes before the time is up, then shuts off when the timer expires. just FYI. here's the link

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if their friends have 360's and they play on-line, then get them the 360

if they do not play on-line, get the ps3, that way they have different systems to play on at each other's houses.

As for language, if they play on-line they are going to hear some pretty bad language from people like me, who say lipolymphohemangiomas hemihypertrophy when they get sniped

Little boys thrive on violence and destruction, why would you deprive them of that? My 5 yr old sons favorite game is Rampage (original) because he can run around as Godzilla and destroy buildings. What is so wrong with that???

if their friends have 360's and they play on-line, then get them the 360

if they do not play on-line, get the ps3, that way they have different systems to play on at each other's houses.

As for language, if they play on-line they are going to hear some pretty bad language from people like me, who say lipolymphohemangiomas hemihypertrophy when they get sniped

Little boys thrive on violence and destruction, why would you deprive them of that? My 5 yr old sons favorite game is Rampage (original) because he can run around as Godzilla and destroy buildings. What is so wrong with that???

yeah the 12 yr olds who say blank this and blank that every other word is annoying....

I just end up tossing my headset...this way it's in my headset and not audible from my TV...

the bad thing is that I find out the hard way when my headset battery dies :D

but yeah, owning a PS3 would definitely offer diversity....both ways are a win-win...

but you'll be offering something new at your house...maybe ratchet and clank is an ideal first purchase...and for playing online, warhawk isn't bloody and has more fun than the other violent games like Resistance...

Well as a owner of a PS3 and 360.

The choice is the 360 the games are better. Online play is 200 times better and it easier to see friends online, block them, talk to them through MSN messenger and more. The reason you pay the 50 dollars a year is for all the online stuff u can do. Its really amazing. Plus you can download every demo of a game before it comes out and play it. Try before you buy type of thing. Then you have the upgrades you can put on the games via new maps, themes and more. The 360 online is 50.00 but that is nothing compared to what you get in online gaming when you compare the two. If you do decide for the PS3 over the 360 it would be strickly because of the blue ray. Because it is more cost effective to buy that than buying a blue ray players. Its crazy to just buy one blue ray player. When you can buy a PS3 that plays games, goes online and plays movies. So I guess its really what your into. To be honest.

Well as a owner of a PS3 and 360.

The choice is the 360 the games are better. Online play is 200 times better and it easier to see friends online, block them, talk to them through MSN messenger and more. The reason you pay the 50 dollars a year is for all the online stuff u can do. Its really amazing. Plus you can download every demo of a game before it comes out and play it. Try before you buy type of thing. Then you have the upgrades you can put on the games via new maps, themes and more. The 360 online is 50.00 but that is nothing compared to what you get in online gaming when you compare the two. If you do decide for the PS3 over the 360 it would be strickly because of the blue ray. Because it is more cost effective to buy that than buying a blue ray players. Its crazy to just buy one blue ray player. When you can buy a PS3 that plays games, goes online and plays movies. So I guess its really what your into. To be honest.

I have both and I couldnt agree more.

The choice is the 360 the games are better. Online play is 200 times better and it easier to see friends online, block them, talk to them through MSN messenger and more. The reason you pay the 50 dollars a year is for all the online stuff u can do. Its really amazing. Plus you can download every demo of a game before it comes out and play it. Try before you buy type of thing. Then you have the upgrades you can put on the games via new maps, themes and more. The 360 online is 50.00 but that is nothing compared to what you get in online gaming when you compare the two.

pretty sure you can do most of that with ps3 as well. don't have to pay 50 bucks though.

pretty sure you can do most of that with ps3 as well. don't have to pay 50 bucks though.

after reading his post, I really wonder if he owns a PS3....not that he doesn't...

but people I know who own both don't even bother with the online play of the 360 because you have to pay and when you only have the silver membership, you won't be able to download the free stuff anymore...it will suggest that you get a gold membership...

why pay for playing online when it should be free :D ...the online aspect of the PS3 is great, especially for being for free....you can't even compare the values....seriously..

but people I know who own both don't even bother with the online play of the 360 because you have to pay and when you only have the silver membership, you won't be able to download the free stuff anymore...it will suggest that you get a gold membership...

well, this isn't entirely correct. the downloads that used to be available to everyone will now be available only to gold members for the first week they're released. yes, microsoft is trying to bully people into getting gold accounts, but the free silver accounts are far from useless.

well, this isn't entirely correct. the downloads that used to be available to everyone will now be available only to gold members for the first week they're released. yes, microsoft is trying to bully people into getting gold accounts, but the free silver accounts are far from useless.

never said they were useless....

and from what I read earlier today, you won't be allowed to get them unless you have a gold membership...

you can still play online and whatnot....as you should, you're paying for it...

they are making a killing off this membership stuff anyways....why not just make everything 30 bucks a month?...I just don't get it...

never said they were useless....

and from what I read earlier today, you won't be allowed to get them unless you have a gold membership...

you can still play online and whatnot....as you should, you're paying for it...

they are making a killing off this membership stuff anyways....why not just make everything 30 bucks a month?...I just don't get it...

if by "them" you mean "downloads," again, that's incorrect. from the blog of the guy who heads the xbox live team:

Just a reminder that if you have a Silver account, you won’t have access to free content on the the Marketplace (like demos) when they are first posted. That content will be available to Gold level exclusively for one week, after which Silver members will have access to the free content.

if by "them" you mean "downloads," again, that's incorrect. from the blog of the guy who heads the xbox live team:

wow, you really pushed my chit in :D ...but umm...why do they nitpick by making them wait a week to begin with?...

the guy above who tried to justify why you pay for XBL offered garbage points like being able to block people as if the PS3 users can't do that by a push of a button...and I don't get how it's easier to see them...

the MSN messenger stuff is nice...especially if I had a MSN name...but that's just my scenario...

but pretty much all the stuff he mentioned is available on the PS3...for free...

the games is a strong selling point, but XBL is a mediocre one...especially when Sony is even upgrading that soon anyways...but this was touched on earlier..