[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Biggest Super Bowl Upset

McBoog

In my almost 48 years, I've seen a lot of football games and seasons come and go.

IMO this was NOT the biggest upset in NFL history. Maybe in current fanbase history/memory, but in history??? Nope!

The Jets beating the Colts is still #1 in my book. A brash Joe Willie Namath with the gahr-uhn-tee by the swimming pool. :D Different time/world, but that Baltimore Colt team was a machine. I still don't know how the Jets pulled it off.

It was also significant historically because it showed that the "new" League could play toe-to-toe with the big boys.

This game, meh, it would have been another "perfect" season, but produced by a team widely unpopular with the NFL fan base and in the minds of many with the big * . The Pats were also showing chinks in the armour down the stretch and I think everyone knew they could be had. I for one didn't "call" a Giant win, but I am not shocked that they pulled it out. :D

The 1972 Dolphins were actually very popular with the fan base and many more people were pulling for perfection. The Dolphins actually, though undefeated (they played only two teams with winning records in the regular season, the Giants and Chiefs, both 8-6. The Giant game was my first live game ever :wacko: ), went into that game as a 1-point underdog to George Allen's "Over The Hill Gang" Washington Redskins. An interesting irony in that game is that George Allen had a reputation of "SPYING" on his opponents (cheaters never prosper). Washington's offense was shut out of that game, their only points coming off of Garo Yepremian's fumble/pass from a failed field goal attempt, known as "Garo's gaffe". The Dolphins won that game 14-7. It was a very even game, the Dolphins holding the slight edge in yards gained and field position, the Redskins in first downs. It was only 1-point, but that too was an "upset", was it not?

The biggest difference between that "perfect" season and the current close but no cigar one:

In 1972, Miami set a record with 2,960 total rushing yards during the regular season, and became the first team ever to have two players rush for 1,000 yards in one season (Czonka and Morris). They did this with their back-up QB running the O for the last 9 games of the season and the first playoff game (Earl Morrall) while Bob Griese healed from injuries (broken leg, dislocated ankle).

Miami was a running team with a fantastic defense and could win these types of smashmouth games. The Pats, well, they can throw and play very well with a lead. It seems like no matter how much they change the rules, it always comes back to "ball control and defense wins championships".

One last lesson learned?

There is nothing more dangerous than a "sure thing". :moon:

I think it was a bigger upset with all the hype for the Pats, but not as influential as SB III.

Either way, nothing can touch the Miracle on Ice. :wacko:

Hooowup! +1 :D