[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Happy Birthday Mr. Lincoln

The Holy Roller

I'm suprised that no one has recognized Mr Lincoln's REAL birthday today. In my opinion one of the two greatest presidents our nation has ever had. (No, Mr. Davis is not the other). :D

Oh, and also... :wacko: ...to the Grand Old Party today. Who would have thought a republican would have saved the nation.

I'm suprised that no one has recognized Mr Lincoln's REAL birthday today. In my opinion one of the two greatest presidents our nation has ever had. (No, Mr. Davis is not the other). :D

Oh, and also... :D ...to the Grand Old Party today. Who would have thought a republican would have saved the nation.

and its surprised :wacko:

Happy Birthday Mr Lincoln,

How is hell these days? Those colon pineapple treatments still working out well for you? Tell Satan hello.

Cya,

P

So he suspended habeus corpus for a little while. Who hasn't?

Edited by yo mama

So he suspended habeus corpus for a little while. Who hasn't?

yeah and started a war and killed over a million people because God wanted him to. I mean its not like Hitler did the same thing later on.

yeah and started a war and killed over a million people because God wanted him to. I mean its not like Hitler did the same thing later on.

A million is a bit high. Most experts say 600,000 - 700,000; though your point is the same regardless.

But for the record, seven Southern states declared their secession from the Union before Lincoln ever took office. And hostilities didn't begin until April 12, 1861, when Confederate forces attacked a US installation at Fort Sumter in South Carolina. I understand many folks are still sensitive on this matter, and I'm not trying to diss your opinion. However, I don't think its factually accurate to say Lincoln started the Civil War.

A million is a bit high. Most experts say 600,000 - 700,000; though your point is the same regardless.

But for the record, seven Southern states declared their secession from the Union before Lincoln ever took office. And hostilities didn't begin until April 12, 1861, when Confederate forces attacked a US installation at Fort Sumter in South Carolina. I understand many folks are still sensitive on this matter, and I'm not trying to diss your opinion. However, I don't think its factually accurate to say Lincoln started the Civil War.

Aight, let's say that Germany ordered all of our troops out of the country. We refused and instead flew some c-130's in to resupply our bases. Germany attacked our c-130's. We responded by invading Germany.

Is this a different thing than what happened at Fort Sumter?

Aight, let's say that Germany ordered all of our troops out of the country. We refused and instead flew some c-130's in to resupply our bases. Germany attacked our c-130's. We responded by invading Germany.

it is you! welcome back buddy!

From a tactical point of view, I think that is an excellent analogy. But I don't think comparing Germany (an autonomous country expelling foreigners) with South Carolina (merely a state within an autonomous country, subject to a centralized federal government) is as strong a comparison. Still, I get your point, and its a valid one.

Nevertheless, it was the Confederate who troops fired the first shots, after 7 states succeeded. You can't pin those actions (which "began" the Civil War) on Abe Lincoln, especially since the initial decision to resupply Ft. Sumpter was made by President Buchanan.

Edited by yo mama

From a tactical point of view, I think that is an excellent analogy. But I don't think comparing Germany (an autonomous country expelling foreigners) with South Carolina (merely a state within an autonomous country, subject to a centralized federal government) is as strong a comparison. Still, I get your point, and its a valid one.

Nevertheless, it was the Confederate who troops fired the first shots, after 7 states succeeded. You can't pin those actions (which "began" the Civil War) on Abe Lincoln, especially since the initial decision to resupply Ft. Sumpter was made by President Buchanan.

Wasn't Lincoln President when Sumter was resupplied? If so, is he not to blame? Could he not have recalled the ships?

Wasn't Lincoln President when Sumter was resupplied? If so, is he not to blame? Could he not have recalled the ships?

After South Carolina succeeded from the Union Ft. Sumpter was one of the few Union strong holds (four, I believe) that were in Confederate territory. Then President Buchanan made a decision to resupply Ft. Sumpter to prevent it from falling. He ordered the ship, Star of the West, to Ft. Sumpter. But the effort failed when Citadel cadets fired on the ship. Those were the first shots of the Civil War.

So in a sense, Lincoln merely inherited someone else's mess. You might fault ol' Abe for how he played his hand once he took office; but he wasn't the man who dealt the cards.

Edited by yo mama

After South Carolina succeeded from the Union Ft. Sumpter was one of the few Union strong holds (four, I believe) that were in Confederate territory. Then President Buchanan made a decision to resupply Ft. Sumpter to prevent it from falling. He ordered the ship, Star of the West, to Ft. Sumpter. But the effort failed when Citadel cadets fired on the ship. Those were the first shots of the Civil War.

So in a sense, Lincoln merely inherited someone else's mess. You might fault ol' Abe for how he played his hand once he took office; but he wasn't the man who dealt the cards.

my point is he could have turned the boats around and he didn't. He knew by his action/inaction it would draw a response and give him an excuse to attack. And he did.

my point is he could have turned the boats around and he didn't. He knew by his action/inaction it would draw a response and give him an excuse to attack. And he did.

Hey, I'm not trying to change your mind on the rightness or wrongness of what anyone did or didn't do. I'm merely trying to highlight the fact that the Civil War was already set into motion before Lincoln took office. He didn't start the war. Sure, he could have kept it from escalating by giving up. But the same is true for the Confederacy.

Edited by yo mama

Hey, I'm not trying to change your mind on the rightness or wrongness of what anyone did or didn't do. I'm merely trying to highlight the fact that the Civil War was already set into motion before Lincoln took office. He didn't start the war. Sure, he could have kept it from escalating by giving up. But the same is true for the Confederacy.

Oh it was pretty well underway. His election only sealed the deal. Either way, the south did not wish not invade the north. They only wanted to be left alone.