[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Polycarbonate Panels

Footballjoe

I am in the preplanning stages of building a greenhouse. From my research so far it appears that polycarbonate panels are recommended instead of glass. Has anyone ever used them? Are they easy to work with? Where did you get them? etc. I found a company in my area that I may visit but just wanted to get some insite from someone who has used them. Thanks

I'm in the development/building industry and I have no information. :wacko:

If Panther Dave were around more I'd recommend talking to him. He's a contractor that's in your general area.

I believe they're used for hurricane/storm windows... so maybe one of our Gulf Coast or Florida Huddlers can offer some info.

If anyone is interested I found the Panels at Lowes and Home DePot. Many of you have probably seen and even used them before. They are the corrugated panels that come in clear, green and a couple of other colors. They make them in vinyl too but the Poly ones are rated for more heat as in for Green Houses. I could only find the single ones. You can also get double and triple wall for more insulating purposes. The single ones cost about $17.00 each for a 26' x 96". Similiar panels are being used today to roof homes. Of course the are better quality. They look like the old terra cotta roof shingles but are Polycarbonate panels.

I am in the preplanning stages of building a greenhouse. From my research so far it appears that polycarbonate panels are recommended instead of glass. Has anyone ever used them? Are they easy to work with? Where did you get them? etc. I found a company in my area that I may visit but just wanted to get some insite from someone who has used them. Thanks

They probably recommend plastic because glass needs to be tempered or it may break.

Different panels have different clarity and hardness values. They are chaeper than most tempered glass, but glass generaly is clearer. Glass loses more heat though.

Some likePlexiglas(acrylic) are very soft and easily scratch.

What are you trying to do?

Then there are these.

Edited by Randall

They probably recommend plastic because glass needs to be tempered or it may break.

Different panels have different clarity and hardness values. They are chaeper than most tempered glass, but glass generaly is clearer. Glass loses more heat though.

Some likePlexiglas(acrylic) are very soft and easily scratch.

What are you trying to do?

Then there are these.

Plan on building a Green House. These panels were recommended on the sites I looked at on Gren Houses. The Panels are very strong and filter the sun light so the plants do not burn.

"Performance Enhancing Building Supplies" -- Brought to you by Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds ... They could do a manly TV home improvement show and then make appearances at Home Depots across the country. "This polycarbonate panel has even more advantage over normal glass panels than I had over silly clean players like Greg Maddux when I was pumping the juice to comeback from my embarassing mediocrity," Clemens could say ... "Hey, if this polycarbonate stuff helps your pumpkins grow the way steroids helped my head grow, you'll be vegetable king in no time," Bonds could say ... You could charge just to see the freakies do the demos, just like charging to see the worlds biggest bull at the County Fair ...