[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Need help w/ MSFT Outlook

muck

Here's a little background:

1) I'm a little bit of a technophobe ... and have very little idea how to tinker with technology things. What I'm working on is too important for me to screw it up, so I'm turning to you guys for a little help.

2) I have two work-related email addresses.

3) One is old and hardly ever used for anything ... it still gets some stuff, but most of it is spam, etc. All of this email comes to Outlook.

4) The other is the one I use for 99% of my outgoing email traffic. All of this email is through a web-mail type set up.

5) My investment management business is regulated by the SEC. Occasionally, they come in and audit what I'm doing ... seems to happen every three to five years (the last time they audited me was four years ago). They have recently asked for, as a part of their current audit, all of my email for 2007 (incoming and outgoing). Not a big deal as they ask for them from lots of other investment firms they audit, other than it's a real pain in the butt and has already taken and will continue to take a whole bunch of my time to get them what they're looking for.

So, here's my situation:

1) I have already moved all of the stuff that was in my inbox on my web-mail email account around so that the only things in my inbox are the emails that were sent and received during 2007. Nothing else (other than a few emails that came in on Friday and so far today) is in there ... and I will move those few emails before proceeding.

2) I have been told that Outlook can have more than one email account download into it. What I do not know is whether it can do this without co-mingling the incoming emails -- in other works, I need emails that come to me via the "muck@oldmail.com" email account to be completely segregated from the emails that come to me via the "muck@newmail.com" email address (which is the one I'm using web-mail for). Can Outlook do this automatically, or do I need to take everything that is currently in the Outlook inbox and move it to someother folder so that the current Outlook inbox is empty prior to downloading?

3) Assuming it can automatically segregate emails into different inboxes, how do I fiddle with the setting in Outlook to make this happen? I know that I will need to imput some URL-related information on my webmail account, but I'm assuming that Outlook would walk me through what it needs in order to be able to do this.

4) Once I hit "download a copy" (or whatever it is that I'd hit inside Outlook to download a copy of the stuff that is in the inbox folder of my webmail system), I want Outlook to ONLY download a copy ... and to CEASE downloading anything once that download occurs. Specifically, once I download a copy of what is in the inbox on webmail, I want to be able to turn Outlook "off" as it regards my "muck@newmail.com" email address so that I wouldn't have copies of email on the web and in Outlook (too much for me to keep up with, frankly).

Anyone know how to do this? LMK if I did not give enough information... And, if it's easier to talk to me about it, PM me your info, and I'll call you from the office on my dime.

if you do a search on "multiple accounts outlook" in yahoo or google, you will find many sites that can step you through how to setup multiple accounts. here are a few:

:wacko:

:D

:D

it's all pretty much the same steps. setup the different accounts and then decide how you want the mail to route to folders.

as far as getting your mail down, i'm not sure how to "download a copy". the only thing i can think of to get your messages into outlook would be to resend them to yourself once you have outlook setup.

hope it helps.

eta: i guess if you don't want any new mail to go into the new account in outlook once you send all your mail to yourself, you can probably just disable the profile by removing the mail server info. once that's done, no new mail should come in.

Edited by tonorator

I have no idea where to start. I don't think your problem can be solved.

What a noob!

Oil the Hard Drive w/ "No Oil" as it says on the label

Convert your USB to a BUS

Bridge the "port" connection (how else can you get over water! :wacko: )

Check the LCD fluid level

If all else fails.....Get a Wolf Shirt!

Because they want all emails sent and received, I pulled my "sent" folder into the inbox before downloading, and all emails that were in the "sent" folder ended up being flagged as having been sent today. Which is more than a little wierd. Any ideas on why?

Because they want all emails sent and received, I pulled my "sent" folder into the inbox before downloading, and all emails that were in the "sent" folder ended up being flagged as having been sent today. Which is more than a little wierd. Any ideas on why?

No joke.....................because it's today! Sorta like when you d/l a file that is 2 years old..............it still shows a created date as today. Why...........that is when you d/l'd / saved it. It's a DOS thing.

muck, something that you may want to consider going forward is a trick I use. Outlook can archive emails on a set schedule. What this means is that Outlook can move emails off the server and put them in a specific folder. This folder can be in a separate physical folder on your harddrive. Because we have a hard limit on the amount of emails that can reside on the server, I archive mine daily. What I do is every January, create a new data folder and name it for the year. I them make a copy of all the folders I have in that new yearly folder. I set my archive schedule for daily and then tell it to move any emails more than a week old. This way I automatically have a collection of all the emails from the past year saved and organized while keeping my working folder pretty clear.

muck, something that you may want to consider going forward is a trick I use. Outlook can archive emails on a set schedule. What this means is that Outlook can move emails off the server and put them in a specific folder. This folder can be in a separate physical folder on your harddrive. Because we have a hard limit on the amount of emails that can reside on the server, I archive mine daily. What I do is every January, create a new data folder and name it for the year. I them make a copy of all the folders I have in that new yearly folder. I set my archive schedule for daily and then tell it to move any emails more than a week old. This way I automatically have a collection of all the emails from the past year saved and organized while keeping my working folder pretty clear.

Are speaking Greek? Russian? Chinese?

I have no idead what you are talking about.

:wacko: