[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Closers in Hall of Fame

hornish

How in the world can Bruce Sutter and Goose Gossage not get more support to be in the Hall of Fame? Those guys were lights out in the 9th inning and were instrumental to their team's success. I think they are both no-brainer Hall of Famers, don't understand the lack of support.

Overall, it seems like players in the mid-late 70's thru late 80's don't get the recognition that players do from other era's. I think some of it has to do with the tainted image of Pete Rose and the fact that he was one of the premier players of the time. When I think of the years 1978-1989, I think of players like Eddie Murray, Cal Ripken (there is the Orioles bias, but also...) Ozzie Smith, Pete Rose, Dale Murhpy, Ricky Henderson, Tim Raines, Brett, Yount, Boggs, etc. These are the players (some of them) that are getting elected now to the HOF. For whatever reason, pitchers don't come to mind. Now sure, there were future HOF pitchers during that time, but they were not the dominant players that I first think of the way I think of Pedro, Big Unit, and Maddux of todays era, or Gibson and Koufax of the 60's. Yea, Ryan and Carlton were two dominant pitchers from 78 on, Carltons career tailed off by 84 or 85.

The closers role really only came to fruition in the late 70's with the likes of Gossage and Sutter. I do truly believe that these guys should be considered HOFers but can understand why they are not. I think that Sutter will be in due time.

There is the argument that on any given day, they only had to go 2 innings at most. Also, the shelf life of a reliever is usually less than a HOF pitcher, but the examples of Sutter, Goose and even Lee Smith are the exception.