[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Computer problem

whomper

When I am on my laptop a message keeps showing that "There is an IP conflict with another network" . Also on the task bar at the bottom of the computer it has a red X through the computer and it says "Local are connection 2 a network cable is unplugged" does this simply mean one of my cables came out ? I obviously have net access but I noticed lately I lose connection, inlcuding an excruciation loss of connection during saturday night poker ,sometimes and I have to take the wire out of my router then plug it back in and restart my computer. If it is a wire does the fact that it says network cable give any of you a clue which wire it is and where I wouild find it ? TIA

When I am on my laptop a message keeps showing that "There is an IP conflict with another network" . Also on the task bar at the bottom of the computer it has a red X through the computer and it says "Local are connection 2 a network cable is unplugged" does this simply mean one of my cables came out ? I obviously have net access but I noticed lately I lose connection, inlcuding an excruciation loss of connection during saturday night poker ,sometimes and I have to take the wire out of my router then plug it back in and restart my computer. If it is a wire does the fact that it says network cable give any of you a clue which wire it is and where I wouild find it ? TIA

It sounds like there might be an IP conflict with another network device. Actually... it doesn't just sound like it, it's specifically telling you that.

You probably have two computers that are taking the same IP address. How many computers do you have in the house? Do you have any other devices on the network that take an IP address?

Instead of pulling the cable and rebooting next time, try this:

1. Go to Start > Run

2. Enter "cmd" and click ok to open a command prompt window

3. Type "ipconfig /release" and hit enter

3. Type "ipconfig /renew" and hit enter

That should release your current IP address which apparently is having a conflict, and grab a new IP address from the router.

It sounds like there might be an IP conflict with another network device. Actually... it doesn't just sound like it, it's specifically telling you that.

You probably have two computers that are taking the same IP address. How many computers do you have in the house? Do you have any other devices on the network that take an IP address?

Instead of pulling the cable and rebooting next time, try this:

1. Go to Start > Run

2. Enter "cmd" and click ok to open a command prompt window

3. Type "ipconfig /release" and hit enter

3. Type "ipconfig /renew" and hit enter

That should release your current IP address which apparently is having a conflict, and grab a new IP address from the router.

Thanks Atomic. I have 2 computers in the house . My main PC and my laptop. When I do what you suggested does it matter which computer I do it from ? Can I just do that right now or should I wait until I lose connection again ?

Thanks Atomic. I have 2 computers in the house . My main PC and my laptop. When I do what you suggested does it matter which computer I do it from ? Can I just do that right now or should I wait until I lose connection again ?

Excellent questions. You level of interest fills my heart with gladness.

It shouldn't matter which computer you do it from, unless one of the computers is set to have a static IP address, because then it won't work. Do you know if either of the computers was specifically set to a particular IP address, or if they are both set to get an IP address automatically? I can tell you how to look that up if you don't know.

Also, do you have a wireless network? Maybe the IP conflict is coming from rogue systems penetrating your network violently yet seductively.

Excellent questions. You level of interest fills my heart with gladness.

It shouldn't matter which computer you do it from, unless one of the computers is set to have a static IP address, because then it won't work. Do you know if either of the computers was specifically set to a particular IP address, or if they are both set to get an IP address automatically? I can tell you how to look that up if you don't know.

Also, do you have a wireless network? Maybe the IP conflict is coming from rogue systems penetrating your network violently yet seductively.

I use a belkin router. I ocassionaly lose connection just on the laptop and do the unplug/ replug router restart to get it going. Ltely my main pc has been losing connection. The IP message is just on my laptop..I am not sure if they are both set to the same IP. I am wearing sweats, with nipple tassles.

should I do that thing you suggested now ? or wait until I lose connection ?

Edited by whomper

Your router is supposed to assign an ip to each device.

You have to reset it often?

Throw that belkin piece of garbage in the trash and get a real router. All your problems will disappear.

I reset at least once every week

How much is a new router and what do you suggest ?

Your second error message, "Local are connection 2 a network cable is unplugged", if it's on the LT whislt being connected wirelessly, is normal, as it's just telling you the hard cable is not connected. If that message is on your PC, then the modem, or cable is going bad. I'm assuming you main PC is hardwired and the LT is wireless.

Can you check your modem settings and see if you have allowed at least 2 connections via DCHP?

Also check the log to see if you are getting intruders.

Best modems:

Buffalo

Dlink

Linksys

Stay away from Netgear and off brands.

Can't buy buffalo right now, and the newer dlinks have some severe quality control problems.

You can get a very good one for under $100, get one advertised as MIMO, has a 2yr warranty and American phone support, Buffalo did, now Zyxel does among others. I am currently testing a zyxel and it is not as good as the buffalo is... hopefully we can buy buffalo brand in the coming few months.

I use a belkin router. I ocassionaly lose connection just on the laptop and do the unplug/ replug router restart to get it going. Ltely my main pc has been losing connection. The IP message is just on my laptop..I am not sure if they are both set to the same IP. I am wearing sweats, with nipple tassles.

should I do that thing you suggested now ? or wait until I lose connection ?

I want to know how this slipped through without a comment :wacko: