[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NHL Awards finalists announced

redwings.cup

I'm not delighted with some of these picks. For example, why isn't Bowman up for Adam's? What about the Shark's Sutter? Nominate Burke over Hasek for Vezina? Hasek played more games, more minutes, had more wins, fewer losses, better Goals Against Average,& the same number of shutouts. The only signficant statistical item where Burke had an edge was in save percentage (.920 vs. .915, essentially a push). I know Burke was important to the Dogs, but an argument can certainly be made that Hasek was equally important to the Wings superior effort.

AWARD FINALISTS

Hart Trophy (most valuable player): Jarome Iginla, forward, Calgary; Patrick Roy, goalie, Colorado; Jose Theodore, goalie, Montreal.

Norris Trophy (top defenseman): Rob Blake, Colorado; Chris Chelios, Detroit; Nicklas Lidstrom, Detroit.

Vezina Trophy (top goalie): Sean Burke, Phoenix; Patrick Roy, Colorado; Jose Theodore, Montreal.

Selke Trophy (top defensive forward): Craig Conroy, Calgary; Jere Lehtinen, Dallas; Michael Peca, New York Islanders.

Calder Trophy (top rookie): Dany Heatley, Atlanta; Kristian Huselius, Florida; Ilya Kovalchuk, Atlanta.

Jack Adams (top coach): Bob Francis, Phoenix; Robbie Ftorek, Boston; Brian Sutter, Chicago.

Lady Byng Trophy (sportsmanship): Ron Francis, Carolina; Nicklas Lidstrom, Detroit;Joe Sakic, Colorado.

Every thing looks pretty good except...

I would also place Hasek over Burke in the Vezina, although it's really a moot point since the award will either go to Theodore (my choice) or Roy.

And I'd put Ricci in the Selke instead of Conroy.

I'd say the Adams award was bang on. Bowman did another great job, but those three coaches did the impossible with their teams.

Without Burke, Phoenix probably does not make the playoffs. Detroit has been a top team for years before Hasek arrived there. Keep in mind too, that Hasek has 2 of the 3 Norris Trophy finalists, a luxury Burke does not have.

Foosball God:

I'd say the Adams award was bang on.  Bowman did another great job, but those three coaches did the impossible with their teams.

Amen; face it wings, almost EVERY coach of the year award could really be called the "biggest turnaround" award.

Bowman DID do a stellar job, but he did it with a loaded, perenially contending team, whereas Sutter, Francis, and Ftorek took also-rans into respectability. I mean, Ftorek took the non-playoff Bruins to the #1 seed in the east! The Wings are SUPPOSED to be contenders, so being the #1 seed isn't as "impressive" to people.

Not necessarily saying it's fair, but that's just the way it is.