[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

UNC vs. Themselves

KSUChiefsTarheelFan

Not as disappointed as I thought I would be with my Heels losing on Saturday. I don't think anyone can beat Memphis right now. Including us. I'm pissed because I don't like the fact that I hear people around Chapel Hill, blaming Roy for the loss. Our guys (Tyler and Mr. Dancin Machine Green not included) played like a bunch of school girls Saturday. Ellington fought hard but pretty much took the whole game to find his jumper. :D Lawson forgot his game back in Chapel Hill. :D Grinyard played like he has all year...shytty. :brew: Thompson and Stevenson thought they were playing in a pick up game and forgot how catch or handle the ball in the process. :wacko: And who told Graves that he could shoot the ball? :D If they all come back, no one will be able to stop them offensively, but that seems highly doubtful because I am sure none of them want to have to play any defense in college. Maybe riding the bench in the NBA is more appealing.

The only team that has beaten Carolina for all 3 games is themselves.

:Dyawn::lol::):D

Edited by KSUChiefsTarheelFan

:wacko:

ok, whatever. While UNC got off to a bad start- you gotta give KU props, dayum you UNC guys are too much

KU IS better a better team.period.end of story.

They are better in the backcourt, with Chalmers/Robinsons/Collins , the wing with Rush and up front with Jackson, Arthur, Kaun and Aldrich-

yall got beat by the better team-

:wacko:

ok, whatever. While UNC got off to a bad start- you gotta give KU props, dayum you UNC guys are too much

KU IS better a better team.period.end of story.

They are better in the backcourt, with Chalmers/Robinsons/Collins , the wing with Rush and up front with Jackson, Arthur, Kaun and Aldrich-

yall got beat by the better team-

+1

It was so clear in watching that game that Kansas was clearly the superior team with superior athletes. Whenever Kansas needed to they would turn it on and dominate UNC. North Carolina was no match for Kansas. That's why their sitting at home rght now.

+1

It was so clear in watching that game that Kansas was clearly the superior team with superior athletes. Whenever Kansas needed to they would turn it on and dominate UNC. North Carolina was no match for Kansas. That's why their sitting at home rght now.

...and that huge win against Davdson? That same superior team only scored 57 points in that game. Kansas had a great game, no doubt, but I think having a few more big men on the court helped immensely. Not to mention the Heels shooting 36%.

...and that huge win against Davdson? That same superior team only scored 57 points in that game. Kansas had a great game, no doubt, but I think having a few more big men on the court helped immensely. Not to mention the Heels shooting 36%.

IIRC #1, UNC beat Davidson by 2pts the one time they played each other, too...

IIRC# 2, KU keeps its opponents to around 37% from the floor for the season, so it's not like UNC shooting 36% is something unusual for teams that face the Jayhawks.

Edited by muck

"I hear people around Chapel Hill, blaming Roy for the loss"

Get used to it and I am glad he is your problem now.....

Problem? I am guess you are a hatin Kansas fan. I went to Kansas State, and I know that when KU lost, they still had love for Roy. Around here, folks tend to give the coach a lot of grief whenever the players don't do their part. At least KU has love for their coaches...till they get up and leave for better opportunities. What's gonna happen when Fatginni goes away to fat camp? I hope you still have love for him.

:wacko: I'm glad he's our "problem" now as well.

Roy is a HOF no doubt- but somethin about the awe shucks wearing the KU sticker shtick rubs me the wrong way -

I think KU should be more than happy with Self- I think he is the better coach -

Roy can recruit - but the fact is that he won his only NC with Matt Doherty's players - and let's face it that team was so loaded all he did was roll the ball out and say "gee wiz guys go get em!"

not a fan, and an overrated game coach IMO

Roy is a HOF no doubt- but somethin about the awe shucks wearing the KU sticker shtick rubs me the wrong way -

I think KU should be more than happy with Self- I think he is the better coach -

Roy can recruit - but the fact is that he won his only NC with Matt Doherty's players - and let's face it that team was so loaded all he did was roll the ball out and say "gee wiz guys go get em!"

No doubt that if he was still coaching at KU, no one would say ANY of what you have just stated. And how many overrated coaches make the HOF? Those recruits that Doherty picked up were all great players. But how many of them do you think came to Carolina because of the Coach (we all know the coach does the recruiting, but come on, it's Carolina for Pete's sake)? Carolina has a rich basketball tradition and are always at the top of their conference, which by the way IS the best conference in college basketball. That being said, do you think Kansas players went to the school because of Bill Self, who couldn't get past Bradley, Georgia Tech and Bucknell in previous years, or because KU has such a rich basketball tradition as well. They remained a powerhouse as a direct result of Roy Williams and his ability to coach for 15 years. He does a great job while at KU, but he comes home to UNC he is overrated? Bill Self leaves Illinois to essentially go back to where he got HIS start, and that's okay with KU fan. But Roy does the same thing and he is a traitor. So KU won with a great "traitor" coach as well. Let's not forget that HIS recruits make it to the Championship game in 2005 and lose to Doherty's recruits...coached by the overrated Roy Williams. :wacko:

While we're not getting carried away, let's not forget that the Illinois team they beat was also loaded with a combination of upper classmen, solid big men and the best guard combination in the nation. They hardly waltzed their way to that title by virtue of being the only good team.

Oh, and while we're writing off that NC as being with someone else's players. Understand that those same players and their parents were close to walking out on the program if they didn't get rid of friendly Matt. When a guy like Phil Jackson figures out how to get Shaq and Kobe to win it all we're reminded of how much better he is than the guy who couldn't do the same the year before. But with Roy, it's just getting somebody else's players and saying awe shucks.

Take McCants or as he was often referred to here, McCancer. Dude was a pouty little bitch and Roy was able to figure out a way to keep him in line long enough to be an asset. Enough so that he was drafted in the first half of the first round. Prior to that, he was a divisive punk who took tons of plays off. Considering that he's averaging 3.8 minutes per game for his pro career, it seems that Roy is still the only guy who's been able to get anything out of him.

As for him sporting KU gear. He's made it abundantly clear. UNC is his favorite team and KU is his 2nd. When he was at KU, it was the other way around. Nothing more to it than that.

Edit to add: Wow, I screwed the McCants stats so bad that I don't deserve to edit that out. OK, so it's not as bad as I said. He's averaged 20 minutes a game for his career and has 27 per this year to go along with respectable but hardly outstanding 14.8 pts per game. None the less, it would be a slight stretch, if not very charitable to say he's living up to 14th pick standards.

Edited by detlef

What's yer story, Det, yer a Tennessee football fan but UNC Basketball fan?

I did not go to either school, nor did I grow up in either area. I've always enjoyed college ball but back in Cali, none of my friends were into it. At one point I became really good friends with some guys from Knoxville who were living out there and we would always watch Saturday football together. Since I never really had a horse in the race, I ended up pulling for the Vols and they became my adopted team. For the most part they still are and I've made a few trips to Neyland stadium to check out a game since I moved to NC. That brings up...

I've also been a college hoops fan most of my life but was mostly just a fan of the game. Again, the friend of mine out in Cali who was the most into college hoops went to Stanford so I always tended to pull for them. Because of that, I never liked Duke because not long ago, there was a bit of a rivalry between them. When my wife and I moved to Tobacco road, I had to pick a side and the only thing I knew for sure was that it wasn't going to be Duke. I honestly had no affiliation between UNC and NC St. but my first year here was the year that Felton, McCants, and May were all freshmen. UNC had sucked really badly the year before and they were a pretty easy team to get behind, sort of like the Fab 5 at Michigan (though obviously not as good). So, by the end of that year, I just found myself rooting for them more than the rest.

It also doesn't hurt that my restaurant is like 1/2 mile from the Dean Dome. I pull for UNC football but they've not exactly been the easiest team for a non-diehard to get behind. I imagine I'd root for the Vols if they played in football and was honestly not sure how I was going to root had they met in the regional finals in hoops. Probably UNC since I follow them pretty closely and only saw UT play against Memphis this year.

I did not go to either school, nor did I grow up in either area. I've always enjoyed college ball but back in Cali, none of my friends were into it. At one point I became really good friends with some guys from Knoxville who were living out there and we would always watch Saturday football together. Since I never really had a horse in the race, I ended up pulling for the Vols and they became my adopted team. For the most part they still are and I've made a few trips to Neyland stadium to check out a game since I moved to NC. That brings up...

I've also been a college hoops fan most of my life but was mostly just a fan of the game. Again, the friend of mine out in Cali who was the most into college hoops went to Stanford so I always tended to pull for them. Because of that, I never liked Duke because not long ago, there was a bit of a rivalry between them. When my wife and I moved to Tobacco road, I had to pick a side and the only thing I knew for sure was that it wasn't going to be Duke. I honestly had no affiliation between UNC and NC St. but my first year here was the year that Felton, McCants, and May were all freshmen. UNC had sucked really badly the year before and they were a pretty easy team to get behind, sort of like the Fab 5 at Michigan (though obviously not as good). So, by the end of that year, I just found myself rooting for them more than the rest.

It also doesn't hurt that my restaurant is like 1/2 mile from the Dean Dome. I pull for UNC football but they've not exactly been the easiest team for a non-diehard to get behind. I imagine I'd root for the Vols if they played in football and was honestly not sure how I was going to root had they met in the regional finals in hoops. Probably UNC since I follow them pretty closely and only saw UT play against Memphis this year.

Got it. I'm sort of in a similar boat with regard to college affiliation. Having grown up in Canada I didn't follow college basketball except at NCAA Tourney time. I was always a Notre Dame football fan (I grew up Catholic and the Irish were really good most years so it seemed like a good choice.) I moved to Lexington in 1996 as UK was in the midst of an insane run (Final fours in 1993, 96, 97, 98, with 2 titles and back to back to back title games.) Hockey is big in Canada. It is bigger than big actually, its the identity of an entire nation. But its not as big as UK basketball is in Lexington. We have the craziest, most passionate, most demanding fan base in the country, and it was easy to get on board with it. Now I bleed as blue as a set of balls after a night making out with Jessica Alba. As a function of this, I hate Duke, UNC, Louisville, and Indiana with a passion. The hatred for Louisville was amped up when Pitino took that job, and the hatred for UNC is growing as they creep closer on the all time wins list (I think they are only 16 behind now.) I also hate the national love affair with Dean Smith ,who did less with more than any coach in NCAA history with regard to national titles.

UK Football has given me just enough to cheer about over the years to convert me away from Notre Dame. The Tim Couch years, the win over LSU last year, etc. They are unfortunately stuck in a beast of a conference in which they can never realistically compete for a conference title, but Commonwealth Stadium is a great place to watch a game and they get very good fan support.

Neyland is a massive place, I've been to several games there. The wave of orange that descends on the stadium on gamedays is something to behold. Its good being a fan in the SEC - they've won 4 of the 10 BCS titles and I get the chance in Lexington to see alot of great players and teams come through town.

Neyland is a massive place, I've been to several games there. The wave of orange that descends on the stadium on gamedays is something to behold. Its good being a fan in the SEC - they've won 4 of the 10 BCS titles and I get the chance in Lexington to see alot of great players and teams come through town.

The last time I was there was for a UK game actually. I think it was in '04. We barely beat you guys. Mostly I just "remember" being completely smashed.