[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

my family could use some prayers

Azazello1313

I thank you all for the kind words. I will pass the condolences on to my mother.

If you don't mind, I'd also like to share what I said at his vigil last night:

It takes a special kind of person to do what Frank did for me. He came into my life when I was only 3 years old, too early for me to remember what life was like before him. When he married my mom, he took me on as a son. I know he did it happily, and with distinct love for ME and not just part of a package deal, because of the way he treated me for the 30 years after.

A few different people have told me in the last few days that Frank loved me like his own son. I appreciate those sentiments, but they are not quite accurate. Frank never treated me “like” anything, he took me on AS his own son. He knew I had another father, and he never tried the slightest bit to come in between that, but he had the love and humility to adopt me completely in his heart.

How do I know he felt this way? He proved it again and again over 30 years, but I can tell you what really seared it into my memory. There was a period, starting when I was about 12 years old, in the 6th grade, when he and my mom separated. I remember, Frank was the one who took me aside, it was out in the yard at that house we lived at on Tennyson St., Frank sat down with me in the grass and explained what was happening. Unfortunately, I don’t remember everything he said, but I remember he told me that he hoped they would be able to get back together some day, and that whatever happened he would love me and would make sure he was part of my life. They proved not to be empty words. Their separation lasted about 2 and a half years, and over that time he made me, the son of another man and a woman he was separated from, feel more love from him than any other time in our relationship. This, at a time when I was becoming an adolescent, learning about life and what motivates people. And what I saw from Frank was that, when I could have easily fallen way down the list of priorities in his life, that was the time he made the most courageous effort to put me at the top of that list. That may be the best lesson anyone has ever given me on how to be a man. A man who loves, a man who hurts, a man who refuses to take the easy, selfish path when the chips are down, and a man who knows how to show himself to the people he loves.

Mom, the best single thing you ever did for me was bringing Frank into our lives. Frank, I owe you so much. And now, all I can do to repay you is to try and live out myself the best things you gave me. I’ll miss you, buddy. I thought about coming up here and talking about how you taught me to shave, how much I enjoyed seeing you enjoying yourself at my baseball games, how when we played tennis you always let me think I could win until you took the last two games of every set to beat me 7-5. But this felt a little more important. Rest in peace, my friend. You deserve it.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic