[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hiring painters

cliaz

Normally I do all of the work around my house. Painting, sheet rock, recess lighting, new kitchen, etc, etc. Well, i no longer have time to do the big projects around the house. My wife has been nagging me and nagging me about these things and she suggested that we just hire painters to come in and paint the entire inside of the house. I know it can cost a pretty penny but honestly i just don't have the time anymore. Any suggestions on what to look out for with hiring painters besides the obvious [are they insured, warranty, etc]? Any horror stories with hiring a painting service?

Have hired 3 different painters over the last 25 years.

Painter #1 got too $$$$

Painter #2 Did well the first 2-3x, but then got some substandard helpers. They put 2 coats on to quickly in a closet and it started to peel the first week. Called him back, he never returned the call.

Painter #3 Young tall/thin woman, works by herself. Very reasonable pricing, and she moves furniture by herself, and I mean big furniture! :wacko: I seriously don't know how she dos it. We'll be calling her soon for our Hall/LR/DR

Insurance and a personal rec. are absolutes. I personally don't put much stock in refs.

A few years back my son-in-law's brother moved to town, and he is a painter. So while he was looking for work my wife and I hired him to paint the entire house(interior). As he was working on the kitchen I asked him what he thought of the color (I didn't like it, the old lady did). And he was kind of non-committal.

I thought he was being polite, because of the color. So I mentioned that I didn't care for the color either. That's when he told me he it wasn't the color, it was the fact that he was color-blind....

Did a great job.....

We have a painter who does tremendous work - even textures walls, etc. He works for maybe half what others would be charging. The only thing is that he just sort of shows up and works. then disappears for 2 days and then shows up and works for a day. Then gone anywhere for 1 to 5 days. He always finishes, it always looks great and it is always a good value. You just never, ever know for sure when he will be there or when it will get done. He finishes usually just when you start to freak out that he is not coming back.

Oh yes, all he has is a cell phone and he almost never answers. But he does great work. It's like he is in the "Painter Protection Program".

We have a painter who does tremendous work - even textures walls, etc. He works for maybe half what others would be charging. The only thing is that he just sort of shows up and works. then disappears for 2 days and then shows up and works for a day. Then gone anywhere for 1 to 5 days. He always finishes, it always looks great and it is always a good value. You just never, ever know for sure when he will be there or when it will get done. He finishes usually just when you start to freak out that he is not coming back.

Oh yes, all he has is a cell phone and he almost never answers. But he does great work. It's like he is in the "Painter Protection Program".

I have a sprinkler guy just like that.

We got three estimates for fixing a problem... $2000, $1800... and then this guy.

He comes in and looks at it and says, "Well, this could be expensive".

Yeah yeah... I know. How much?

"Hmmm... $300?"

You're hired.

But, he took a month to finish it, and he's flaky. Nice, but definitely spacey.

Just today he said he'd come by "first thing this morning" (damn aerators plugged one of the heads), and he showed up at 11:30. But, the price is nice, and he does good work.

I have a sprinkler guy just like that.

We got three estimates for fixing a problem... $2000, $1800... and then this guy.

He comes in and looks at it and says, "Well, this could be expensive".

Yeah yeah... I know. How much?

"Hmmm... $300?"

You're hired.

But, he took a month to finish it, and he's flaky. Nice, but definitely spacey.

Just today he said he'd come by "first thing this morning" (damn aerators plugged one of the heads), and he showed up at 11:30. But, the price is nice, and he does good work.

That IS the first thing in the morning.......isn't it? :wacko::D

Any paint job should look good for a year. Anyone who loses their job thinks they can start a painting business because it requires little equipment and most states don't license painters.

The key to any job is preparation especially outdoors. Look at jobs they did a minimum of 3 years back. 5 years is better.

He's probably doing several jobs and comes to yours when it rains or when it fits his schedule. Many painters take every job they can get and do several at a time.