[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tree Removal

SuperBalla

I am trying to sale my house and I had a guy that came by tonight to see the house. He loves the house but was mortified of this 100+ foot Water Oak I have in back yard. The diameter of the tree is proabaly 5' max...anyone ever had a tree of that size taken down before? How much did it cost you roughly?

Depends on if you have the stump removed also. Imagine that's what you'd want to do. I had alll of my slash pines eaten up by wood bores last summer and went the cheap route. I think the largest one may have been 2.5-3 ft wide. Without the stump removal, they averaged about $500 a pop. But there was one tree company that wanted to charge me 3k for 2 trees to be removed. You need to shop around and get them to come out and give estimates(if they are free). Of course, make sure they are insured. A tree that size will not be cheap I can promise you that much. Bottom line is you're looking at at least a grand, probably more.

FWIW, I love oaks. I have one tree left in my back yard and it's an oak. It is on the side of my yard though, not in the middle. I have a problem with people removing undamaged trees, especially a tree as beautiful as an oak. Let the buyer pay for it.

A lot depends on how close to the hose it is, are there any wires near it, etc. I had two extremely large (3+ ft. in diameter, approx 75' tall)Chestnut Oaks within 15 feet of the house when I bought this place. Cost me $750 a pop to take them down with stump removal. I went with a company I new would do it right, they brought in a crane to make sure that nothing went awry. I didn't like getting rid of them but large old trees hanging over the house is just a recipe for disaster.

Like jaxfactor said, if you must take it down, make sure that the person you hire is licensed and insured. However, I'd see if the buyer will accept knocking down the price of the house $500-$750 dollars and have him take it down.

I wouldn't take it down.For every buyer that's mortified by it,there will be one that loves it.HE may even like it.You knock $1000 off the house for it,don't be surprised if you drive by it next year and it's still up.

I wouldn't take it down.For every buyer that's mortified by it,there will be one that loves it.HE may even like it.You knock $1000 off the house for it,don't be surprised if you drive by it next year and it's still up.

Bingo. Go Green. Save the Tree.

FWIW, I love oaks. I have one tree left in my back yard and it's an oak. It is on the side of my yard though, not in the middle. I have a problem with people removing undamaged trees, especially a tree as beautiful as an oak. Let the buyer pay for it.

I do too and the tree is absolutely majestic. I am anxious to sell the house and I am simply more looking at the negotiating factors here. I don't want it cut, don't think it needs to be cut, but I'm not going to stop the sell because of it though.

Any chance theres a local that would find any value in the wood and buy it, or at least take the wood in trade for the labor of cutting it down?

Possibly...never thought of that. The tree is obviously mature but in great health.

A lot depends on how close to the hose it is, are there any wires near it, etc. I had two extremely large (3+ ft. in diameter, approx 75' tall)Chestnut Oaks within 15 feet of the house when I bought this place. Cost me $750 a pop to take them down with stump removal. I went with a company I new would do it right, they brought in a crane to make sure that nothing went awry. I didn't like getting rid of them but large old trees hanging over the house is just a recipe for disaster.

Like jaxfactor said, if you must take it down, make sure that the person you hire is licensed and insured. However, I'd see if the buyer will accept knocking down the price of the house $500-$750 dollars and have him take it down.

Quick background...the tree's stump would be 8' from the slab under my carport. It towers over my house and my neighbors. During Katrina and Rita we stayed at my in-laws. Trust me the person reomving this beast is going to be licensed and insured. And yes...after closing.

Good point. I loved it and I am sure the Energy savings are huge. I pay on average $170/per month Electricity bill for a 3/br 2/bath house. Our summer are insane hot too.

If you do, I would make sure it is done after closing in case it falls through. It's negotiable on who pays for it. Again, make sure it is done AFTER closing and not before...

Good point.

I guess my point is,he can make any changes he likes after he purchases the house.But unless there is an actual problem with the house itself,Hell would freeze over before I'd make any cosmetic changes to either the house or the property just to appease a potential buyer.What if he doesn't like your current landscaping?Maybe you could have that redone as well.

I guess my point is,he can make any changes he likes after he purchases the house.But unless there is an actual problem with the house itself,Hell would freeze over before I'd make any cosmetic changes to either the house or the property just to appease a potential buyer.What if he doesn't like your current landscaping?Maybe you could have that redone as well.

Good call.