[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So I'm considering a Good Point and shoot.....

rocknrobn26

I have/had 4 Olympus Cameras over the last 8-10 years. My current DSLR is an Olympus and I still have an old 4MP C770. Everything you said is correct, just looking for a little change.

There in lies my conundrum. :wacko: I could put the $$$ toward a new lens, but I really don't want to carry 8#'s of photo gear around plus a mono pod.

so just carry the camera with your wide angle lens and at most add your telephoto to the bag....trust me i can tell you will not be happy with a point and shoot..especially seeing as the RAW option got your blood going

so just carry the camera with your wide angle lens and at most add your telephoto to the bag....trust me i can tell you will not be happy with a point and shoot..especially seeing as the RAW option got your blood going

The G9 has RAW. :wacko:

The G9 has RAW. :wacko:

Maybe I am not seeing the picture the right way...but are we talking about capturing a grandchild going down a slide on vacation kind of camera, or a camera for "shooting photography"?

EDIT TO ADD: If the answer is both, then IMO it might serve you best to bring your DSLR and get a point and shoot. I wouldn't be worrying about shooting RAW on a point and shoot. I would just be taking that with me on days when bringing the SLR was a bad option and "shooting photography" was not the main priority for having a camera.

Edited by Caveman_Nick

Maybe I am not seeing the picture the right way...but are we talking about capturing a grandchild going down a slide on vacation kind of camera, or a camera for "shooting photography"?

EDIT TO ADD: If the answer is both, then IMO it might serve you best to bring your DSLR and get a point and shoot. I wouldn't be worrying about shooting RAW on a point and shoot. I would just be taking that with me on days when bringing the SLR was a bad option and "shooting photography" was not the main priority for having a camera.

What he said. When you said, "point and shoot", I was given the impression that your intention was to "point and shoot". Not "point, get artsy with the lens, and shoot". I think, first and foremost, you need to figure out what you really want.

No grand kids...........scenery/sites.....YES photography! Was just thinking about lightening my load and still getting good shots. *sigh*

What he said. When you said, "point and shoot", I was given the impression that your intention was to "point and shoot". Not "point, get artsy with the lens, and shoot". I think, first and foremost, you need to figure out what you really want.

No argument! And this discussion is helping me decide. TY!

No grand kids...........scenery/sites.....YES photography! Was just thinking about lightening my load and still getting good shots. *sigh*

If you are looking to do some serious shooting, then maybe the question is not if you should get a point and shoot as much as it is what you might be able to do to carry your DSLR and various accessories in a less cumbersome manner. Maybe a backpack bag set-up would be something to look at?

No argument! And this discussion is helping me decide. TY!

Well, the best way I can relate to this was when I was more into bikes. I had road bike and was looking to buy something that I could take onto trails. Because I'd ridden road bikes my entire life, I hated how slow mountain bikes were and my first inclination was to go for a cyclecross bike. Basically, a slightly beefed up road bike with nobbies. A friend talked me out of it. "You still won't be able to ride with friends on mountain bikes because they'll go on trails that are too intense for that thing."

He was right. If I was only going to have two bikes, why not have two bikes that covered the whole range, rather than two bikes that covered 3/4s of it. If I wanted to ride fast, I could take my road bike out and ride on the road. If I wanted to go on trails, I could take the mountain bike. Sure, it wouldn't be quite as fast on mellow trails as a cross bike but that wasn't worth sacrificing the utility.

Same thing here. You apparently have a really nice camera that you can get rad with. All these point and shoots that are being discussed are cheap, super light, and will fit in your pocket. They also take fine enough pictures. So, you've got all your bases covered. You've got your nice camera for when you're willing to lug it around and you've got the one to take on hikes.