[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Save 20 cents a Gallon

i_am_the_swammi

So, in looking for ways to save the swammi's household a buck or two, II signed up for thsi offer thru Discover Card .

Credits your card 5% at the end of each month on all gas and hotel purchases. Promo changes every 90 days, but for July-September, its gas & hotels.

As long as I pay the balance the each month, and incur no finance charges, its free money. Card is also no-fee.

And at $4.00 per gallon, it saves me .20 pg.....so I'm only paying $3.80...not bad.

I still think the AmEx Blue Cash card is the best card out there. After you spend a certain amount in a year (I think it is $6500) you get 5% back on all gas and grocery purchases and, i think, 1.5% back on everything else. You get something on that first $6500 too, but I can't remember what it is.

We just changed away from the Amex Blue Cash to the Chase Freedom Card. We don't spend enough each year to spend a lot of time past the $6500 mark for the Amex card (before $6500, I think it's between .5-1% back on everything).

With the Chase card, I think we get 3% back on whatever 3 categories we spend the most on each month (it automatically changes for you - gas, groceries, dept stores, for ex) and 1% back on everything else.

I assume which card is better just depends on how much you spend each year/how much time you spend pas the $6500 mark.

With the Chase card, I think we get 3% back on whatever 3 categories we spend the most on each month (it automatically changes for you - gas, groceries, dept stores, for ex) and 1% back on everything else.

I assume which card is better just depends on how much you spend each year/how much time you spend pas the $6500 mark.

Thats pretty cool....to be able to use the card for staples only (gas, groceries, restaurants), with the knowledge you'd pay it each month in full to avoid giving back your savings in the form of finance charges, makes sense.

The 5% back right now on Discover is pretty key. I hadn't used the card in ages, but it'll be in my wallet for the next 60 days.

I still think the AmEx Blue Cash card is the best card out there. After you spend a certain amount in a year (I think it is $6500) you get 5% back on all gas and grocery purchases and, i think, 1.5% back on everything else. You get something on that first $6500 too, but I can't remember what it is.

Another vote for this card.

Before $6500 you get 0.5% back on every purchase and 1% on everyday purchases (gas, groceries etc.). After $6500 it goes up to 1.5% on every purchase and 5% on everyday purchases (gas, groceries).

I actually got something on my last bill that talked about enrolling to get and extra 1% cash back on top of the above on all purchases from July - September. I still can't figure out what exactly I am enrolling in though. I mean if its just to get the extra cash back why don't they just tack it on to my existing account? Why would I need to re-enroll?

Another vote for this card.

Before $6500 you get 0.5% back on every purchase and 1% on everyday purchases (gas, groceries etc.). After $6500 it goes up to 1.5% on every purchase and 5% on everyday purchases (gas, groceries).

I actually got something on my last bill that talked about enrolling to get and extra 1% cash back on top of the above on all purchases from July - September. I still can't figure out what exactly I am enrolling in though. I mean if its just to get the extra cash back why don't they just tack it on to my existing account? Why would I need to re-enroll?

Does this ever max out on an amount spent? We have Chase Rewards and it maxes out on benefits after a while.

Does this ever max out on an amount spent? We have Chase Rewards and it maxes out on benefits after a while.

No max out on the normal promotion. I believe the 3 mth additional 1% promotion max's out at $50 rebate per month. I used to have a Citi Mastercard that I used but it had a maximum reward limit so I switched to Amex blue.

No annual fee either.

Check out americanexpress.com for all the details.

Edit: In case my above post wasn't clear the $6500 threshold is not per month but once you have reached $6500 in spending on the card for that year.

Edited by myhousekey