[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rented a couple of movies...

DemonKnight

I liked Juno a lot. Watched it with the Mrs. and she liked it a lot, too. I didn't think I was going to like a film about teen pregnancy, but it was cool. I actually like the fact that they portray young adults as having a respectable command of the English language.

Edited by yo mama

• 2 weeks later...

Recent watches have been Once and We Jam Econo:The Story of the Minutemen.

Once is F*CKING fantastic; it loses a little bit of steam in the middle, but pays off at the end.

Econo is a rock doc about the criminally unheard-of punk rock band the Minutemen. It may overstate the case a little, but it's a great flick about a unique and influential group. Best part was finding out the title of the record Double Nickels on the DIme was a response of sorts to Sammy Hagar's "I Can't Drive 55" - "we drive EXACTLY 55!"

Econo is a rock doc about the criminally unheard-of punk rock band the Minutemen. It may overstate the case a little, but it's a great flick about a unique and influential group. Best part was finding out the title of the record Double Nickels on the DIme was a response of sorts to Sammy Hagar's "I Can't Drive 55" - "we drive EXACTLY 55!"

There's a chilling live video of "History Lesson Pt. 2" in that movie that almost made me cry.

Finally saw There Will Be Blood and thought it was freaking amazing. Daniel Day Lewis owns everyone. The scene that takes place at the bowling lane was freaking intense.

I also saw these so I felt it necessary to reply.

I went to art school and studied painting with a very heavy load of theory. Doesn't mean I can't recognize or appreciate the talent of these guys

.....ass.

:wacko::D

That's the problem, the music is so basic that I can't recognize what you guys are hearing. I just hear someone who didn't learn how to play an instrument.

My first year of college I was a music major and I quickly realized theory took the soul out of music. I'm so glad I ended my studies of music. I still like jazz and complicated music but there's so much beauty in simplicity. I'm sorry for your music snobbery.

Theory to an extent can do that, but without at least some level of theory the music will taste bland, no? Simplicity is fine, I love Bob Dylan's guitar, but the stuff on Juno just irritated me to tears...

Finally saw There Will Be Blood and thought it was freaking amazing. Daniel Day Lewis owns everyone. The scene that takes place at the bowling lane was freaking intense.

I have come to the conclusion that I just don't "get" PTA. Boogie Nights was terrific; Magnolia, on the other hand, was a ponderous, pretentious piece of crap....well, maybe "piece of crap" is harsh, but it didn't justify the effort put into it.

TWBB...Day-Lewis just OWNS the screen, which is sorta like saying "water is wet" - it's a given. The story had everything you wanted -dramatic heft, brilliant direction, etc. But you had this great compelling story that just went "pfffft"; despite the intensity, the pat ending seemed almost anti-climactic.