[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

SEAHAWK SCRIMMAGE TODAY

devilwoman

I got there a little late, but this is what I noticed.

Hass didn't play much, it was all Frye and Wallace by the time I got in there.

Seneca looked good, Charlie had moments of greatness but wasn't consistent.

Gilmore and Bumpus both had some amazing catches.

Carlson was a primary target for both QBs

Justin Forsett, RB, R, CAL, broke a nice run for 40+. TJ Duckett was getting a lot of work up the middle.

The Rook K, Coutu, missed from 51 (off the upright) , but nailed one from 56.

Mare missed wide right one time I think .I can't remember now.

I did not see J. Jones, MoMo, Engram, or Hass Play. They may have been there, but i didn't see them on the field.

If I remember more I will add it later

Let's see. Overall I thought the offense looked more crisp than I would have thought for this time of year.

WR Logan Payne looked every bit as solid as we have been hearing. Fluid, soft hands and much faster than I would have thought.

WR Jordan Kent and RB Justin Forsett are going to make some exciting plays in this league someday. (Kent FLEW past past the defense for a 60-yard bomb near the end).

Carlson was eye-popping. If he wasn't the rookie TE to draft before, he sure is now. Caught everything thrown at him, including some balls I didn't think he was athletic enough to grab.

G Rob Sims looks better, especially in pass protection. Last year, he spent a lot of time chasing, but kept his feet underneath him all day. Looked confident.

FB Owen Shchmitt (sp?) is going to be fun to watch. He caught a pass in the open field and immediately tried to find someone to run over.

SS Deon Grant has become the obvious vocal leader of this defense in just his second year here. Lofa is still the QB of the defense, but Grant plays almost like a coach.

For the most part it was what you would expect from a scrimmage. Kind of a plodding pace, under control of the coaches. The running game was pretty sloppy until Duckett started running through (AND AROUND!!) the backups. He was actually pretty impressive. I would have liked to see the kickers come out a little better, but lets just hope this isn't a problem that we have to revisit later. All in all, the players seemed to come out pretty healthy, and for the most part the question mark guys stepped up like you would have hoped. Good day.

Seattle Times story on the practice.

The team knows what it has in Nate Burleson and Bobby Engram. It hopes to have Deion Branch back for the first week of the regular season. It had hoped to see second-year man Courtney Taylor take part, but a sore hamstring kept him out of action. So the spotlight Saturday fell on top roster hopefuls Logan Payne, Jordan Kent and Ben Obomanu, perhaps only one of which will be on the final 53-man team in September.

All three turned in strong performances before a crowd of about 11,000. Kent, a 2007 sixth-round draft pick from Oregon, hauled in a 53-year touchdown. Obomanu, the only one to have actually played in a regular-season game, caught three passes for 32 yards, picking up 9 after a catch and diving into the end zone. Payne, who was on the practice squad last season, fought off a glancing blow from linebacker D.D. Lewis that stunned him and had three catches for 36 yards.

Not to mention Michael Bumpus, a rookie free agent from Washington State, who broke two tackles on a 23-yard touchdown.

"We're counting on somebody from that group, or a couple of them, to step up and play a lot," coach Mike Holmgren said. "The receivers have a lot to prove. They're all trying real hard because it's so competitive and makes sense that you'd see them show at this thing."

Obomanu had not stood out much in practices leading up to the scrimmage, but he made a statement with his play Saturday.

"All of us want to go out and show the coaches we can compete, make plays in a real game-type environment," Obomanu said.

Holmgren rested many of his starters for the scrimmage — Burleson and Engram among those — giving the fans long looks at the rest of the team.

"All of us are just trying to make a name for ourselves and make a name for our group as a whole," Payne said.

Kent didn't make his big play until near the end of the 80-minute practice/scrimmage.