[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Surround Sound

Atlanta Cracker

Since I didn't want to overspend for outdated TV technology I've all but decided to overspend on new TV technology and demote my current living room TV to the upstairs room.

As such I may as well go ahead and get surround sound setup as well. I'm not interested in anything top end. Just something that will make watching a movie or a football game a good experience.

Anyone have any thoughts on packages that would handle everything? I don't have a receive either so that would have to be part of it too.

Ideally under/around $500. Obviously less is better...

A Home Theater in a Box might be your best bet for under $500. They'll sound a lot better than just the tv speakers. Here's a few: Home Theater

If it were me, I'd buy a decent amp and 2 main speakers and then upgrade from there. The boxed home theater systems sound ok until you get picky. You'll want to upgrade after a while. I'd rather have a decent amp and 2 nice speakers than mediocre surround sound. But that's just me.

Well, I'm not talking super home theater here or anything. Just upgrading to a 37" HDTV and want the sound experience to be better. I could probably deal with a little more cost if it makes sense but i sure ain't spending $1,500 when I hope to spend less than a grand on the tv.

It would also be nice to have for listening to music as well so I could go the good amp nice couple of speakers route and upgrade the others as appropriate. Suggestions along those lines welcome as well.

Any thoughts on This One?

Don't know...never heard it. I would audition it first and see what you think.

One of the best mini-speaker systems I've ever heard is the Mirage line. They system I heard had 5 speakers and a sub. But I guarantee you that 2 of these speakers and a sub would blow that Philips away. You could even just buy the 2 speakers and a receiver and then add the sub later. You'll definitely want the sub though. Makes all the difference in the world. And these speakers are very small and sound very good.

Here's a pair on ebay $375: Mirage

Here's the Mirage sub $300: Subwoofer

Here's a Pioneer receiver that will more than suit your needs $200: Pioneer

So you could buy the 2 speakers and the receiver for $575 and then add the sub. Or you could bite the bullet and get the sub. This system will be very small and clean and will sound great for the money and size.

Since two people mentioned refurbs.

Are they typically just as good as new? Maybe someone just cranked it too loud and they had to replace a speaker or something?

biggest diff I think is warranty or lack of a warranty

http://www.onkyousa.com/warranty.cfm

Refurbished Products:

Receivers & Amplifiers 1 year Parts & labor

Tuners, Equalizers & Processors 1 year Parts & labor

Cassette Decks & Mini Disc 1 year Parts & labor

CD, DVD Players & Turntables 1 year Parts & labor

Speakers 1 year Parts & labor

Mini systems 1 year Parts & labor

FYI, every once in a while, Best Buy runs a receiver and speaker package that, for about $100 more than a HTIB, is usually a pretty good deal for the average joe. The timing is kinda random, and you never know what they will pair together. I got a pioneer receiver and 6.1 JBL speakers for example.

If I were to buy a "kit"

this might be it

http://cgi.ebay.com/Infinity-TSS-800-5-1-H...1QQcmdZViewItem

100% trusted seller.

it is over $100 more then he said he wanted to spend and would still need to buy a receiver which will run him minimally in the neighborhood of $200 more

Don't know...never heard it. I would audition it first and see what you think.

One of the best mini-speaker systems I've ever heard is the Mirage line. They system I heard had 5 speakers and a sub. But I guarantee you that 2 of these speakers and a sub would blow that Philips away. You could even just buy the 2 speakers and a receiver and then add the sub later. You'll definitely want the sub though. Makes all the difference in the world. And these speakers are very small and sound very good.

Here's a pair on ebay $375: Mirage

Here's the Mirage sub $300: Subwoofer

Here's a Pioneer receiver that will more than suit your needs $200: Pioneer

So you could buy the 2 speakers and the receiver for $575 and then add the sub. Or you could bite the bullet and get the sub. This system will be very small and clean and will sound great for the money and size.

I know AC and he is gonna want a sub with it now so you have him at $875 when he wanted to spend around $500 or less

:wacko: its always easier to spend someone elses money

Edited by keggerz

it is over $100 more then he said he wanted to spend and would still need to buy a receiver which will run him minimally in the neighborhood of $200 more

I know AC and he is gonna want a sub with it now so you have him at $875 when he wanted to spend around $500 or less

:wacko: its always easier to spend someone elses money

Very true. It's also hard to recommend a home theater system for under $500.

Very true. It's also hard to recommend a home theater system for under $500.

:wacko: touche'

It's usually easier to talk me into spending more than I wanted to... I'm going to try to hold close to my budget this time. ANYTHING I get will be better than the current tv speakers on my $150 27" tv so I don't need to go very high end to be impressed really.