[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

edwards coming clean

dmarc117

it's not that I don't think it matters, and in many circumstances I think does reveal a basic lack of character. each circumstance is different, you never know what's going on between two people and it isn't always our place to judge, but yeah, usually when someone cheats they are not someone I have much regard for. but personally, chit I'd be happy if if they'd just stop the bald-faced lying about it, paying out hush money, using their influence to cover things up, etc. when people find out, just sack up and own your mistake without any lies and I, for one, am probably not going to hold it against you too much.

OK, I can get on board with that logic.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, look at the vast corruption in Washington and the general lack of character in the people that we elect (I'm not talking about marital infidelity here). It's not about expecting a "level of near perfection." It's about expecting politicians to not lie and cheat their way to the top, and then take kickbacks when they get there. A large fraction of those people don't even measure up to my next-door neighbor. I don't know about you, but I expect a little more than technical competence from a Congressman, Senator, or the Leader of the Free World.

Couldn't agree more about the corruption issue. I find that intolerable no matter who it is, Dem, Rep or Independent. I guess I just don't care about political "infidelity" as far as di(king other wimmins goes.

question for the dems........

if he had won the nomination, would you want to step down now? and if so would it be just becasue he might lose the election or because of the nature of his mistake?

No. And neither do I expect McCain to stand down in the light of his affair.

Side note: If Edwards was the nominee, I would not be voting for him anyway.

if he is willing to betray his dying wife, he would betray the american people. he is the devil.

McCain both cheated on his wife AND betrayed the American people during the S&L scandal.

So... umm... where's his character at again? Steady?

mostly I'm just glad we don't have to listen to the faux populist ambulance-chasing dbag spout his two americas nonsense at the convention. :wacko:

Fixed that.

Character doesn't matter when the guy in question is fighting for the causes that you support, but character is the be-all and end-all of someone who is considered a political opponent. We pick and choose our moral indignation based upon common ideology... that's just about as disgusting as cheating on your dying wife.

Wurd.

And last fall, in an interview with CBS Evening News anchor Katie Couric, Edwards himself cited infidelity as a character flaw voters might well count as disabling in a potential President:

"Of course. I mean, for a lot of Americans, including the family that I grew up with, I mean, it's, it's fundamental to how you judge people and human character - whether you keep your word, whether you keep what is your ultimate word, which is that you love your spouse, and you'll stay with them."

what a chump

:wacko:

Edited by dmarc117

Elizabeth's statement: Stop the 'voyeurism'

She posts a statement on DailyKos:

Our family has been through a lot. Some caused by nature, some caused by human weakness, and some — most recently — caused by the desire for sensationalism and profit without any regard for the human consequences. None of these has been easy. But we have stood with one another through them all. Although John believes he should stand alone and take the consequences of his action now, when the door closes behind him, he has his family waiting for him.

John made a terrible mistake in 2006. The fact that it is a mistake that many others have made before him did not make it any easier for me to hear when he told me what he had done. But he did tell me. And we began a long and painful process in 2006, a process oddly made somewhat easier with my diagnosis in March of 2007. This was our private matter, and I frankly wanted it to be private because as painful as it was I did not want to have to play it out on a public stage as well. Because of a recent string of hurtful and absurd lies in a tabloid publication, because of a picture falsely suggesting that John was spending time with a child it wrongly alleged he had fathered outside our marriage, our private matter could no longer be wholly private.

The pain of the long journey since 2006 was about to be renewed.

John has spoken in a long on-camera interview I hope you watch. Admitting one’s mistakes is a hard thing for anyone to do, and I am proud of the courage John showed by his honesty in the face of shame. The toll on our family of news helicopters over our house and reporters in our driveway is yet unknown. But now the truth is out, and the repair work that began in 2006 will continue. I ask that the public, who expressed concern about the harm John’s conduct has done to us, think also about the real harm that the present voyeurism does and give me and my family the privacy we need at this time.

Elizabeth's statement: Stop the 'voyeurism'

She posts a statement on DailyKos:

Our family has been through a lot. Some caused by nature, some caused by human weakness, and some — most recently — caused by the desire for sensationalism and profit without any regard for the human consequences. None of these has been easy. But we have stood with one another through them all. Although John believes he should stand alone and take the consequences of his action now, when the door closes behind him, he has his family waiting for him.

John made a terrible mistake in 2006. The fact that it is a mistake that many others have made before him did not make it any easier for me to hear when he told me what he had done. But he did tell me. And we began a long and painful process in 2006, a process oddly made somewhat easier with my diagnosis in March of 2007. This was our private matter, and I frankly wanted it to be private because as painful as it was I did not want to have to play it out on a public stage as well. Because of a recent string of hurtful and absurd lies in a tabloid publication, because of a picture falsely suggesting that John was spending time with a child it wrongly alleged he had fathered outside our marriage, our private matter could no longer be wholly private.

The pain of the long journey since 2006 was about to be renewed.

John has spoken in a long on-camera interview I hope you watch. Admitting one’s mistakes is a hard thing for anyone to do, and I am proud of the courage John showed by his honesty in the face of shame. The toll on our family of news helicopters over our house and reporters in our driveway is yet unknown. But now the truth is out, and the repair work that began in 2006 will continue. I ask that the public, who expressed concern about the harm John’s conduct has done to us, think also about the real harm that the present voyeurism does and give me and my family the privacy we need at this time.

Eh...Capn...if MoneymakersAzzdmarctard post something stupiditly irrelevant and you immediately post a defense from a liberal rag; it kind of defeats the purpose.....

We need to work on our terrorist fist bump. Do you really give a crap about this as much as they do?

Edited by bushwacked

Eh...Capn...if MoneymakersAzzdmarctard post something stupiditly irrelevant and you immediately post a defense from a liberal rag; it kind of defeats the purpose.....

We need to work on our terrorist fist bump. Do you really give a crap about this as much as they do?

pssst. 3 out of the last 5 posts in this thread are yours.

I'm not defending anything. It's not a defense from a liberal rag. It's Elizabeth Edward's own words. I thought some might find it interesting what she had to say...

Sen. Hillary Clinton would be the Democratic presidential nominee if John Edwards had been caught in his lie about an extramarital affair and forced out of the race last year, insists a top Clinton campaign aide, making a charge that could exacerbate previously existing tensions between the camps of Clinton and Sen. Barack Obama.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=5553013&page=1

never thought about the effect on the nomination.....

it's not that I don't think it matters, and in many circumstances I think does reveal a basic lack of character. each circumstance is different, you never know what's going on between two people and it isn't always our place to judge, but yeah, usually when someone cheats they are not someone I have much regard for. but personally, chit I'd be happy if if they'd just stop the bald-faced lying about it, paying out hush money, using their influence to cover things up, etc. when people find out, just sack up and own your mistake without any lies and I, for one, am probably not going to hold it against you too much.

Dont having an affair and lying kinda go hand in hand? I mean, if you came right out with it and your wife didnt care wouldnt that be swinging?

QUOTE (Azazello1313 @ 8/8/08 5:36pm)

Dont having an affair and lying kinda go hand in hand? I mean, if you came right out with it and your wife didnt care wouldnt that be swinging?

hence the qualifier, "when people find out". sneaking around to tap some strange is one thing -- it's not exactly noble, but it's not the worst thing you can do either. to me, it's what you do when you're called on it that really reveals the flaws in your character that call into question your ability to govern. indignant, self-righteous denials -- and especially the overt power-wielding to keep things hushed up -- right up until the point where you're confronted with the smoking gun...that makes you a lot bigger douchebag than someone who chooses not to lie the first time someone asks them about it. that's all I'm really saying.

Polks witty words come from this quote (I saw Tim C post it a while back)

THE DEFINITION OF

POLITICAL CORRECTNESS

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical Liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous Left-stream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Author Unknown

While the affair had been alleged by the tabloid papers as early as October 2007, the July 22 visit was confirmed by FOXNews.com days later. Last Friday, Edwards admitted he had had an affair but denied that he went to the hotel to meet Hunter and their alleged love child.

Edwards has said he would take a paternity test to prove he's not the baby's father, but Hunter has said she won't submit her child to a DNA test. A close Edwards ally, attorney Fred Baron, has been paying Hunter a reported $15,000 per month despite the relationship having allegedly ended in late 2006.

Edited by moneymakers

Character doesn't matter when the guy in question is fighting for the causes that you support, but character is the be-all and end-all of someone who is considered a political opponent. We pick and choose our moral indignation based upon common ideology... that's just about as disgusting as cheating on your dying wife.

See, I personally don't work this way. Of course, big bear then says I wear a tinfoil hat.

I hate them all equally. :wacko: