[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Couple Poker Hands

Easy n Dirty

Not hands I was involved in, just two hands I read about on one of the countless poker blogs out there, thought they might make for good discussion:

Intro says that the table is loose-passive.

Hand No. 1

Two limpers to Hero in the CO with Kc Qc. Hero raises. Big blind and both limpers call (8 small bets). Flop is Ad Jh Tc. Action checks to Hero, who bets. Big blind and one limper call (11 small bets). Turn is 6h. Action checks to Hero, who bets. Big blind check-raises, folding remaining limper. Hero 3-bets and big blind calls (11.5 big bets). River is 2h. Big blind checks. Hero ??

Hand No. 2

Two hands later, Hero is in middle position with 6s 8s. Two limpers, and Hero also limps. CO player raises. Big blind and both limpers calls. Hero closes the action with a call (10 small bets). Flop is As 7s 6h. Big blind checks, one limper bets, one fold, Hero raises. Pre-flop raiser calls, big blind folds, limper calls (16 small bets). Turn is Ac. Limper bets, Hero calls, pre-flop raisers raises, limper calls. Hero ??

Read more...

Hand No. 1

Two limpers to Hero in the CO with Kc Qc. Hero raises. Big blind and both limpers call (8 small bets). Flop is Ad Jh Tc. Action checks to Hero, who bets. Big blind and one limper call (11 small bets). Turn is 6h. Action checks to Hero, who bets. Big blind check-raises, folding remaining limper. Hero 3-bets and big blind calls (11.5 big bets). River is 2h. Big blind checks. Hero ??

Hand No. 2

Two hands later, Hero is in middle position with 6s 8s. Two limpers, and Hero also limps. CO player raises. Big blind and both limpers calls. Hero closes the action with a call (10 small bets). Flop is As 7s 6h. Big blind checks, one limper bets, one fold, Hero raises. Pre-flop raiser calls, big blind folds, limper calls (16 small bets). Turn is Ac. Limper bets, Hero calls, pre-flop raisers raises, limper calls. Hero ??

Read more...

Hand 1: if I'm hero, I think I am ahead with my flopped straight, and bet it that way. if I am beaten by a drawn-out flush, then so be it, but I certainly don't put the BB, who checked the river, on a flush. BB had J-10, perhaps, and flopped bottom two-pair?

Hand 2: I fold my weak 6-8, even though my draw is solid. Even if my flush hits, I may be beaten by a FH. Someone has an A in their hand, and there is a possibility both my opponents do.

Not hands I was involved in, just two hands I read about on one of the countless poker blogs out there, thought they might make for good discussion:

Intro says that the table is loose-passive.

Hand No. 1

Hand No. 2

Read more...

As these appear to be limit hands, I will answer as if that is the case.

Hand 1 - You must value bet here. If you get raised, you pay off and likely see you were outdrawn on, but you are ahead too many of the times to not value bet here.

Hand 2 - ugly situation as you are up against two players that like their hands and you are not drawing to anything near the nuts. Even though the pot odds appear to be there, I do not think you are ahead enough, even if you hit, to justify continuing with the hand.

Edited by Big Country

First hand I think was easy - you gotta' value bet here and pay off if he hit his flush. In the hand in question, the opponent actually did hold K-3 hearts and had hit his flush.

My initial reaction to the second hand was the same as everyone else - gotta' fold here. But after reading the blog from which I found this hand, I'm more inclined to think that a call is the right play. Here's what he said:

"I debated my action on the turn for quite a bit of time, and even remarked out loud, "Boy, that's a really poopyty turn card." My read developed like this: early position bet out the flop, he probably has an ace. I raised the flop with my big draw (pair plus flush draw plus backdoor straight draw). Pre-flop raiser just called behind. Hmm. What could that mean? When the turn came down and early position bet again, I felt certain he had three aces, and the turn raise from the pre-flop raiser screamed big ace. Nothing else made sense with his pre-flop raise.

The only thing that gave me pause was the possibility that the early position player had flopped aces up or a set of 7s (with a 6 in my hand, I discounted a set of 6s). But given that he did not re-raise the flop or the turn, I felt confident he hadn't filled up yet. Most of these passive types play very straightforward poker -- if they have the goods, they bet/raise every chance they can get.

If my reads were right, I had seven clean outs to a winner. There was no spade left in the deck that could double pair the board, so the only problem was the two spades which would match each opponent's kicker and would fill them up. The pot was laying 13-to-1, a clear overlay on my 5.3-to-1 draw (7 winners out of 44 remaining cards, discounting the other two aces as being already out). But of course, there are the negative implied odds of making a flush that also makes a full house... What to do. My instinct was to call and pray. I am surprised at the number of people that said they would fold the turn. More on that below.

As it turned out, all of this was academic. I missed the river. Late position won the pot with Ad Kd for trip aces; early position flashed Ah 9c before mucking.

Jamie said "you may hit your flush that boat's up one of the villians and get squeezed for four big bets". I'm sorry -- if you get squeezed for four bets after making a flush in this hand, you suck at poker. The only way you're getting squeezed at all is if early position bets, you call, and late position raises. One of two things happens at that point: early position re-raises -- you dump your hand; early position calls -- you probably still dump your hand but since you close the action, and late position's range includes some hands you can beat, you *might* think about calling.

Consider the alternative -- early position checks, you check (you absolutely cannot bet even when you make your hand), and late position either checks if he's scared of the flush, bets his trips if he isn't scared of the flush, or bets his full house. If early position check-raises, you confidently throw away your hand -- no need to call two cold against that type of player. He has a full house 100% of the time he check-raises the river. If early position calls, you call one bet and hope for the best.

Thus the most you lose is two bets, but that's pretty unlikely. It requires early position to bet his unimproved trips into a flushing board against two opponents. More often, a spade river either costs one bet or gets checked through.

I can see the merit in the line suggested by many people of folding the turn because you could already be drawing dead. Without better evidence, however, I have a hard time putting either of my opponents on a full house. The most likely hand for the pre-flop raiser is AK/AQ/AJ. Given no re-raise on the flop or the turn from the early position player, his most likely hand is any other ace that didn't flop two pair.

After that, it's pure math. Four times out of five, you miss and fold (-1 big bet in those instances). The fifth time that you hit a spade that pairs up one of your opponents, you lose two big bets -- one on the turn, one on the river. That happens two out of the nine times you catch a spade. The other seven spades, let's assume it always checks through on the river and therefore you win 13 big bets. That makes your expectation of a turn call roughly:

(4/5 * -1) + (1/5 * ((2/9 * -2) + (7/9 * 13 [pot size on turn]))) = -0.8 + (1/5 * (-.44 + 10.1)) = -0.8 + 1.932 = 1.132

That is, for every time you call here, you can expect to earn an additional 1.132 big bets. Again, however, it assumes that neither opponent has yet made a full house. That is where hand reading comes into play. If you're not supremely confident in your reads, folding makes much more sense."

First hand I think was easy - you gotta' value bet here and pay off if he hit his flush. In the hand in question, the opponent actually did hold K-3 hearts and had hit his flush.

My initial reaction to the second hand was the same as everyone else - gotta' fold here. But after reading the blog from which I found this hand, I'm more inclined to think that a call is the right play. Here's what he said:

"I debated my action on the turn for quite a bit of time, and even remarked out loud, "Boy, that's a really poopyty turn card." My read developed like this: early position bet out the flop, he probably has an ace. I raised the flop with my big draw (pair plus flush draw plus backdoor straight draw). Pre-flop raiser just called behind. Hmm. What could that mean? When the turn came down and early position bet again, I felt certain he had three aces, and the turn raise from the pre-flop raiser screamed big ace. Nothing else made sense with his pre-flop raise.

The only thing that gave me pause was the possibility that the early position player had flopped aces up or a set of 7s (with a 6 in my hand, I discounted a set of 6s). But given that he did not re-raise the flop or the turn, I felt confident he hadn't filled up yet. Most of these passive types play very straightforward poker -- if they have the goods, they bet/raise every chance they can get.

If my reads were right, I had seven clean outs to a winner. There was no spade left in the deck that could double pair the board, so the only problem was the two spades which would match each opponent's kicker and would fill them up. The pot was laying 13-to-1, a clear overlay on my 5.3-to-1 draw (7 winners out of 44 remaining cards, discounting the other two aces as being already out). But of course, there are the negative implied odds of making a flush that also makes a full house... What to do. My instinct was to call and pray. I am surprised at the number of people that said they would fold the turn. More on that below.

As it turned out, all of this was academic. I missed the river. Late position won the pot with Ad Kd for trip aces; early position flashed Ah 9c before mucking.

Jamie said "you may hit your flush that boat's up one of the villians and get squeezed for four big bets". I'm sorry -- if you get squeezed for four bets after making a flush in this hand, you suck at poker. The only way you're getting squeezed at all is if early position bets, you call, and late position raises. One of two things happens at that point: early position re-raises -- you dump your hand; early position calls -- you probably still dump your hand but since you close the action, and late position's range includes some hands you can beat, you *might* think about calling.

Consider the alternative -- early position checks, you check (you absolutely cannot bet even when you make your hand), and late position either checks if he's scared of the flush, bets his trips if he isn't scared of the flush, or bets his full house. If early position check-raises, you confidently throw away your hand -- no need to call two cold against that type of player. He has a full house 100% of the time he check-raises the river. If early position calls, you call one bet and hope for the best.

Thus the most you lose is two bets, but that's pretty unlikely. It requires early position to bet his unimproved trips into a flushing board against two opponents. More often, a spade river either costs one bet or gets checked through.

I can see the merit in the line suggested by many people of folding the turn because you could already be drawing dead. Without better evidence, however, I have a hard time putting either of my opponents on a full house. The most likely hand for the pre-flop raiser is AK/AQ/AJ. Given no re-raise on the flop or the turn from the early position player, his most likely hand is any other ace that didn't flop two pair.

After that, it's pure math. Four times out of five, you miss and fold (-1 big bet in those instances). The fifth time that you hit a spade that pairs up one of your opponents, you lose two big bets -- one on the turn, one on the river. That happens two out of the nine times you catch a spade. The other seven spades, let's assume it always checks through on the river and therefore you win 13 big bets. That makes your expectation of a turn call roughly:

(4/5 * -1) + (1/5 * ((2/9 * -2) + (7/9 * 13 [pot size on turn]))) = -0.8 + (1/5 * (-.44 + 10.1)) = -0.8 + 1.932 = 1.132

That is, for every time you call here, you can expect to earn an additional 1.132 big bets. Again, however, it assumes that neither opponent has yet made a full house. That is where hand reading comes into play. If you're not supremely confident in your reads, folding makes much more sense."

Good Lord...remind me to never play cards with you freaking MIT grads.....!

His last line covers it though, you must be supremely confident in your read that neither opponent has a made full house. If you are not 100% in your read, then the EV goes down a bit. It may still be a slightly +EV call, but it is very razor thin at best, but, in limit, it is making the smart decisions in the razor thin situations that make a good player profitable and the other 90% of players losing players.